Madison Bicycles.

Madison76

Re: Madison Bicycles.

Postby Madison76 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:40 am

I am no authority on bicycles and came across this forum when looking at the history of Madison cycles. I have a Madison bicycle purchased in Brisbane from Aspley Cycles in 1976. It is still in original (mint) condition, as is the Owners Manual. It still gets ridden often and performs like new. The frame is Japanese, gears are Eagle II. The manual was printed in Japan and for Cycles Australia and features "Cylcles Peugeot" on the rear cover.

My bike is not for sale, but I would be interested to know its current Value.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:50 pm

IMO probably not much more than $200. Eagle II was pretty basic componentry, and Madison aren't a well known or sought after brand.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Govindananda74#

Postby Govindananda74# » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:31 pm

I was the factory manager at Cycles Australia in Geebung Queensland In the early 1980s.We manufactured Madison and Peaugot bicycles plus a few minor brands.

The BMX was our main seller with various models of the standard bikes. We built the complete bike in the factory including the wheels, for our top of the range bikes the accessories were Shimano from Japan other bikes were built with Taiwanese parts.

The production of cycles ceased in the early 80s prior to this we stockpiled many of the top brands the sales stayed on. I’m not sure when the company finally closed

Cycles Australia fell because of our high manufacturing costs and the influx of imported SKD (semi knocked down) and KD (Knock down) cycles.

I hope this answers some of your questions feel free to ask me if you want to me.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:17 pm

Govindananda74# wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:31 pm
I was the factory manager at Cycles Australia in Geebung Queensland In the early 1980s.We manufactured Madison and Peaugot bicycles plus a few minor brands.

The BMX was our main seller with various models of the standard bikes. We built the complete bike in the factory including the wheels, for our top of the range bikes the accessories were Shimano from Japan other bikes were built with Taiwanese parts.

The production of cycles ceased in the early 80s prior to this we stockpiled many of the top brands the sales stayed on. I’m not sure when the company finally closed

Cycles Australia fell because of our high manufacturing costs and the influx of imported SKD (semi knocked down) and KD (Knock down) cycles.

I hope this answers some of your questions feel free to ask me if you want to me.
Can you remember when the Ashby, Sprite, and Guthries brands wound up?
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Alalal

Postby Alalal » Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:42 pm

Hello
Dad bought me a ten speed Madison racer in 1978. They were Australian and we bought it from a bike shop in Balwyn for 100 or 150 dollars.
It was that green colour, it was all stell and was an ok bike, nothing flash but not cheap, just an average bike. Had chrome mudguards gum wall tyres etc, they were not the most robust of bikes, as I bent bits of it, but it got me to school and back for many years.it had shimano gears and cotterless cranks, no, sorry, it had SUNTOUR gears and the levers were on the neck of
F the bike,