Cyclist Syndrome

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Paul T

Cyclist Syndrome

Postby Paul T » Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:44 am

I am suffering so badly from the condition below, that I have had to stop cycling. I am wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue, and if you have had any success with treatment or a different type of saddle.
Cyclist syndrome is a condition in which the Pudendal nerve is compressed in Alcock’s canal of the pelvis region. It is also called Alcock canal syndrome or Pudendal nerve entrapment syndrome (PNE). It is most commonly seen cyclist person who overuses cycle.

It has rarely seen a condition in which chronic neuropathic pain in the distribution of the pudendal nerve mainly increased in sitting positioned with genital numbness and bladder-bowl incontinence are the major symptoms.

There are several variations of pudendal nerve entrapment, based on the location of compression of the nerve anatomically. it is called pudendal neuralgia in various medical journals. It highly affects your quality of life mostly because the pain comes and goes and it can make it hard to use the bathroom, disturb your sex life, or even sitting position painful.

foo on patrol

Re: Cyclist Syndrome

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:32 am

Never heard of this before. :?:

I have huge problems with sciatica and in pain all the time but I can get on my bike and ride with comfort. :shock:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:26 pm

Wider saddle?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:28 pm

Mod Says: posts speculating the poster may be an AI bot have been removed. If you are correct, all you do is give them links & traffic which is what they are after. If you are wrong they are likely to be perceived as personal attacks.

If you are concerned that a poster may be an AI, please report it. This post has been reported and is being monitored
Anything you can do, I can do slower

wongaga

Postby wongaga » Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:35 pm

I had groin numbness for decades of cycling (commuting, Audax, fitness, racing, touring) and just put up with it. Last year I'd finally had enough and took advantage of the Trek saddle trial and exchange program through Hampton Cycles (in Melbourne), and I have now completely eliminated that problem. The guys at the shop were very helpful and did not try to "upsell" me at all. In fact they suggested I start with a $50 saddle on my tatty but highly functional hybrid, and upgrade as required. It worked so well I stuck with it.

I have no connection with Trek or the shop, but am delighted with the outcome.

Cheers, Graeme

Dodgy-Knee

Postby Dodgy-Knee » Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:32 am

Paul T wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:44 am
I am suffering so badly from the condition below, that I have had to stop cycling. I am wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue, and if you have had any success with treatment or a different type of saddle.
Cyclist syndrome is a condition in which the Pudendal nerve is compressed in Alcock’s canal of the pelvis region. It is also called Alcock canal syndrome or Pudendal nerve entrapment syndrome (PNE). It is most commonly seen cyclist person who overuses cycle.

It has rarely seen a condition in which chronic neuropathic pain in the distribution of the pudendal nerve mainly increased in sitting positioned with genital numbness and bladder-bowl incontinence are the major symptoms.

There are several variations of pudendal nerve entrapment, based on the location of compression of the nerve anatomically. it is called pudendal neuralgia in various medical journals. It highly affects your quality of life mostly because the pain comes and goes and it can make it hard to use the bathroom, disturb your sex life, or even sitting position painful.
Have you tried using a cutaway saddle? I use a Selle SMP saddle and it’s the most comfortable saddle I’ve ever used… no discomfort or numbness at all. The central cutaway extends most of the way along the saddle but leaves enough of a seat to actually sit on… you have to measure the distance between your ischeal bones in your pelvis (the bony parts in your bum that you sit on)… the saddle width is determined by the width of your ischeal bones and it’s these that are supported by the saddle and there’s no pressure on your gooch at all. These days, there are many different manufacturers who make this type of saddle … I can’t tell you much about other brands but another great thing about the Selle SMP saddle is that the nose / front of the saddle droops down and away from you so when you lean forward eg. Riding in the drops, the tip of the saddle isn’t pressing into you. I’m using a SMP ‘Glide’ model on one bike and an older ‘Hell’ on my other bike… hopefully you’ll find something that works for you. Good luck.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:45 pm

Last active:Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:09 pm
Total posts:1 | Search user’s posts
(0.00% of all posts / 0.01 posts per day)
Most active forum:Cycling Health
(1 Post / 100.00% of user’s posts)
Most active topic:Cyclist Syndrome
(1 Post / 100.00% of user’s posts)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:35 pm

I experienced that awful problem waaaay back in the 1980s as a long-haul touring cyclist. The worst possible place, too: crossing the Nullarbor!

I thought was an STD, or barnacles on my bum, but was in fact, simply put down to a badly adjusted (too far pointing up and too far back) saddle. Once that was sorted out, it was gone, and I cycled happily ever after...

And...AI can "talk"...respond, about these things?? :shock:
GIANT 2024 TCR Advanced Pro Disc 0 AR | GT 2014 Zaskar 29er | 2022 Dragon Raptor e-scooter [Yellow Peril]