Karrinyup Rd underpass

Mububban

Karrinyup Rd underpass

Postby Mububban » Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:30 pm

https://www.mainroads.wa.gov.au/project ... eway-path/
Mitchell Freeway Pedestrian and Cyclist Path
Civic Place to Reid Highway

Under Construction - A new 3.7 km shared path along Mitchell Freeway, including a new underpass at Karrinyup Road.
Upgrades to Karrinyup Road and Cedric Street intersection have commenced. New left and right turning lanes have been constructed, helping to improve traffic flow at the intersection.

Construction of the new shared path is also underway, and noise walls will start to be installed from mid-2022.
To enable construction of the new underpass, Mitchell Freeway southbound exit to Karrinyup Road will be closed from 16 June until mid-November.
The new section of high standard path will be built on the eastern side of Mitchell Freeway, linking Civic Place in Stirling to Reid Highway in Balcatta.

Construction will primarily be undertaken in the existing freeway reserve and will include local connections as well as a new 80 metre underpass at Karrinyup Road.

Left and right turning lanes will extend from Karrinyup Road to Cedric Street, reducing congestion at the intersection.

Pedestrian crossing facilities through the intersection will also be upgraded to include the installation of two zebra crossings.

With future plans to widen the freeway southbound in this area, noise walls will be built adjacent to residential areas on the eastern side between Karrinyup Road and Erindale Road. They are likely to be situated along the rear property boundaries, reducing noise experienced by residents living near the freeway.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Thoglette

Re: Karrinyup Rd underpass

Postby Thoglette » Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:54 am

I’ve been watching the work for a while. It’s not clear what’s happening at Erindale road (presume they’re keeping the existing underpass) nor have I found a map of the Reid Hwy intersection.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:55 pm

Saw this in the FAQ :

• PSP users (on the west side of the Mitchell Freeway) will be detoured to the protected signalised crossing at North Beach Road (approximately 640 metres total detour length).

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:13 pm

nachoman wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:55 pm
Saw this in the FAQ :

• PSP users (on the west side of the Mitchell Freeway) will be detoured to the protected signalised crossing at North Beach Road (approximately 640 metres total detour length).
That’s a strange one, as most of the works are on the east. Perhaps they’re planning to make a mess of the whole K’nup Rd/ Freeway interchange?

mount_street

Postby mount_street » Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:47 pm

I’ve been watching the work for a while. It’s not clear what’s happening at Erindale road (presume they’re keeping the existing underpass) nor have I found a map of the Reid Hwy intersection.
Yeah the works are lined up to use the existing underpass on the eastern side.
That’s a strange one, as most of the works are on the east. Perhaps they’re planning to make a mess of the whole K’nup Rd/ Freeway interchange?
Last time I went through it, Karrinyup Rd was down to one lane each way (both on the southern carriageway) and all on/off ramps are closed except for the northbound off-ramp which only turns left (westbound) onto Karrinyup Rd. Certainly a mess!

SnoopDoug

Postby SnoopDoug » Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:51 pm

Just started riding from the far north* and geeeez, I can't wait for this underpass to finally open....

(*compared to where I used to live)

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:33 pm

SnoopDoug wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:51 pm
Just started riding from the far north* and geeeez, I can't wait for this underpass to finally open....
Whats your current route?

Im sort of in the same boat, but at the same time wondering if adding an extra 8-9kms to get to the path in the first place is worth it.

Thats about half of my current commute as is! The extra kms is good, the extra time not so much.

SnoopDoug

Postby SnoopDoug » Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:53 pm

Down Warwick Rd or Beach Rd to the Fwy. Have only just got back on the bike and riding from our new address so I'm still working out which way i prefer.

barrybotcher1

Postby barrybotcher1 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:06 am

SnoopDoug wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:53 pm
Down Warwick Rd or Beach Rd to the Fwy. Have only just got back on the bike and riding from our new address so I'm still working out which way i prefer.
I am also making the plan now, please tell me which one you went on and how it went.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sat May 13, 2023 12:44 pm

This was open this morning.
Smooth as, compared to the western side.
I did ride up to Reid Hway, but won't do again, as there are too many lights to cross. The Reid Hway route may only be used by those in the Warwick area. My preferred route in the future will be to join at Balcatta Rd, no lights to cross.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Thu May 18, 2023 9:20 pm

I rode this home today, it is posh as! Did not realise it was open in the morning, I guess I didn't look back at the gates as I came down that horrible concrete overpass.

At the risk of being an ungrateful brat though, I am not sure I'd ride it late at night - the section backing on to the Balcatta industrial zone is completely desolate. You are very much out of view and earshot there. And the way it spits you out onto the Balcatta Rd /Freeway / Reid crossing is a little abrupt and discombobulating, someone who came through a few beats after me, nearly took the highway to the left before checking themselves. Then, just as if to prove what I was thinking to myself: we all got overtaken by a fire-truckhead on a dirtbike! Yay :|

I hope that the western side doesn't fall into complete disrepair now.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

Simon J

Postby Simon J » Fri May 19, 2023 1:02 am

There is a neat little exit at Erindale road that lets you cross back to the west side of the freeway over the bridge at Erindale and pick up the existing path from there. That mostly avoids Balcatta so might make it feel a bit safer? I never liked the old path at night because of the complete lack of light between karrinyup road and erindale road!

I’m really happy with the new section, just need the works around Stirling to Finnish at the end of the year and we’ll have an unbroken run from the city to north of reid hwy. hopefully it encourages a lot more usage of the psp north of the river.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed May 24, 2023 2:27 pm

Simon J wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 1:02 am
There is a neat little exit at Erindale road that lets you cross back to the west side of the freeway over the bridge at Erindale and pick up the existing path from there.

Rode back from the city along this new section, agreed it is lovely but like Lizzy, I didn't like having to cross Reid to get the path along there. So next time, I'll look out for the Erindale Rd crossover to the western side.

Gee it was nice trading bumpy concrete sections with square-edged hits for a new smooth surface....
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

SnoopDoug

Postby SnoopDoug » Fri May 26, 2023 11:22 am

I've done this a couple of times now. Smooth as!! I'll also voice my support for crossing the fwy at Erindale Rd - much smoother transfer to the western side. Reid Hwy looks worse than Karrinyup to cross!! Really not sure how they can make further improvements on that side of the fwy between Reid and Warwick Rd, with the loop fwy on-ramps, busport and train station carpark at Beach rd.
I never liked the old path at night because of the complete lack of light between karrinyup road and erindale road!
It's pretty dark all the way up to Beach Rd., except for a couple of short sections that are next to the Reid Hwy off ramp

SnoopDoug

Postby SnoopDoug » Fri May 26, 2023 11:26 am

barrybotcher1 wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:06 am
SnoopDoug wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:53 pm
I am also making the plan now, please tell me which one you went on and how it went.
I've found Warwick Rd, down Davallia Rd, along Beach Rd/Carine Open space, then right onto Duffy, to Excalibur Way and join the PSP from there. I don't think it's quicker or anything, but it's a bit more "comfortable" for me. I don't like the bike path near Warwick Station - too narrow and too many entrances/exits.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sat May 27, 2023 12:35 pm

Mububban wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 2:27 pm
Gee it was nice trading bumpy concrete sections with square-edged hits for a new smooth surface....
I know the bit you're talking about. Only time I've had my handlebar bag leap out of the decaleur
:shock:

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:59 pm

SnoopDoug wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 11:26 am
I've found Warwick Rd, down Davallia Rd, along Beach Rd/Carine Open space, then right onto Duffy, to Excalibur Way and join the PSP from there. I don't think it's quicker or anything, but it's a bit more "comfortable" for me. I don't like the bike path near Warwick Station - too narrow and too many entrances/exits.
After t-boning a car who failed to give way 3 weeks ago, fracturing my collarbone (again), im gonna have to change my route if i want to continue commuting.

Ill most likely be joining the path at warwick station from the east side of beach rd.

Hows the path been for you?

cheers jase

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:05 pm

Its been about a month now of riding the PSP joining at Warwick train station on the south side of Beach Rd overpass. Im usually coming from Mirrabooka Ave so i take the bike path along Beach then cross over onto the road after Wanneroo Rd. Then all the way to the PSP.

I cross over at the Reid Hwy lights, i dont think its too bad at all.

But yes....going through civic place does disrupt your flow a little...cmmmooonnnn ...

Simon J

Postby Simon J » Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:49 pm

Sounds like you’re riding down the psp on the west side of the freeway then following Reid over to the east side of the freeway and crossing Reid there to follow the bike path?

Have you tried continuing on the path on the west side of the freeway to Erindale instead? There is an underpass under Reid then you can follow the path to erindale where you can cross the freeway over a bridge and pick up the new path there. No need to cross at any lights at all!

The psp between Reid and Erindale on the west side of the freeway is relatively modern and in good condition too, it’s south of Erindale that it gets pretty crappy and you’re better off on the east side of the freeway.