Defective Babboe Cargo bikes

Bunged Knee

Defective Babboe Cargo bikes

Postby Bunged Knee » Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:27 am

Cargo bike company Babboe stops sales and tells customers to “immediately stop” riding their bikes due to faulty frames – after “lying” about defects

Not a good idea and shame on them for lying to customers to waste money on it.

https://road.cc/content/news/babboe-sto ... mes-306873
Dutch cargo bike company Babboe has brought a temporary halt to sales of its entire range, after a number of its frames were found to have manufacturing errors, amid accusations of a cover up by the brand to hide the faults from customers.
An investigation into the cargo bike company found that Babboe knew about the defective frames but had failed to report them to the regulator despite being required to do so by law, even going so far as to instruct staff to “make up stories” to customers.
Owners of the affected models have been advised to check the frame number located on the left-hand side of the bottom bracket or, for later models, on a sticker with the frame number on the seat tube, and enter it on checkyourframe.co.uk(link is external).

“If your frame number is listed, immediately stop using your cargo bike,” the company said. “We kindly ask you to contact your reseller.”
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

skyblot

Re: Defective Babboe Cargo bikes

Postby skyblot » Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:21 pm

blizzard

Postby blizzard » Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:38 pm

Disappointing. Although the cargo bike subreddit has had number of reports of cracked frames and other build issues with Babboe Bikes. I seriously considered getting one when I bought my cargo bike. I'm glad I went with the Cube instead.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:39 am

So the authorities believe that 50000 frames are faulty and should stop riding all of them immediately while the company says they've had 20 reports of cracking, none in aus. Authorities say the company has been downplaying thw seriousness of the faults. Company thinks Authorities are going over the top.

Seems the truth is probably somewhere in between. Be interesting to find out wether the failure mode is dangerous and what the actual risk is of riding a frame that might crack. Ie will it fall in half while riding, or will it crack and slowly bend in the middle but still be rideable?
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.