Gst refund claim

davehirst

Gst refund claim

Postby davehirst » Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:53 pm

I am an Australian citizen living overseas.
I am returning next month for a few weeks.
Has anybody bought a bike and claimed a tax refund when leaving.
It seems possible, just get it checked by border control before checking it in, but has anybody actually done it and id so was it easy..
Bikes are quite a bit cheaper in aus than malaysia.

Andy01

Re: Gst refund claim

Postby Andy01 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:56 am

I have never claimed GST back on a bike, but certainly on other things (anything from camera gear to a pair of RM Williams boots). The easiest way is to use the Australia TRS (Tourist Refund Scheme) app (I have Apple, but Android app may be called the same name ?) - you fill everything in on it and present your phone so they can scan a QR code on the app from memory (last time was 5 years ago).

As long as you have a proper tax invoice that contains all the required information (check TRS on the website for details - I think it has to be purchased within 60 days of claiming), and be willing to stand in a queue potentially, and you can present the items (the bike) for inspection at the counter you should be fine.

I might guess that the biggest issue you might have is presenting the bike because the GST counter is the other side of the customs check so it means whatever you are claiming has to be hand luggage (ideally).

There may be a way of claiming GST back of a checked baggage item (perhaps by getting some kind of verification of the item from an official before the bike is checked in ?) and presenting that, but I have no experience with that.

Where are you leaving from ? Not all airports and ports have GST refund counters. I have done it at both Brisbane & Sydney airports and cruise terminals, but nowhere else.

davehirst

Postby davehirst » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:04 am

Sydney, i read with large items you show border control office, in terminal 1.
People use it a lot for golf clubs apparently.

davehirst

Postby davehirst » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:06 am

Just hope flight coincides with it being open

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:47 pm

Only done it with carry in sized items but it should be fine.

https://www.abf.gov.au/entering-and-lea ... und-scheme

davehirst

Postby davehirst » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:44 am

Yes, it all seems doable. Just wondering if its been done.:-)

Magpie

Postby Magpie » Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:06 pm

I did it in early 2017, can’t remember all the details but allow some extra time for checkin as I needed to take the bike to a different area to be inspected and the paperwork completed