Where did your Recumbent take you today?

zebee

Re: Where did your Recumbent take you today?

Postby zebee » Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:40 pm

I once more excavated the poor neglected Encore.

Neglected for the same reason as before: the riding I'm doing is for shopping and the trike is just better for that.

I have to go down to Camperdown on Monday. Timing means that riding all the way isn't on so it is train and bike. That means the Brompton or the Encore as the trike is just not train friendly really. The B will do the job but I don't fancy lugging it about and having to find places to put it safely so prefer the two wheel 'bent to the folder.

Pull it out, dust it off, pump up the tyres, oil the chain, slide on the racktop bag and out we go for a bit of a pootle.

It's still a nice ride and I am still disgustlngly unfit!

One thing I really notice though... since the trike got its big orange canopy people pass with plenty of room. I got squeezed twice on the two wheeler! I think the big shopper pannier with its eyesearing flouro green raincover is going to have be added to the rig. See if that helps. Terribly effect on the aerodynamics but it isn't as if I am going fast enough for that to matter.

Other than close passes and some gear fumbling as I wasn't used to the ratios I settled in and had fun. I'm not up to the tight slow turns I used to be able to do on it, those are going to need a lot more practice!

I'm afraid I can see why trikes outsell two wheelers by so much. The Greenspeed is definitely slower but it's also a lot more comfortable, a lot easier to manage on rough surfaces and tight turns, and just lets me get on with it. The Encore is a very good example of what it is: a race bike on the road. But I think people with the money for recumbents aren't as into the hardcore fastbike experience and if they were there are a lot of easier to manage upright options. (Plus if you are young you want to actually race which you can't on a 'bent and if you are old there is something to be said for comfort and no balance problems!)

(But then I think of the roadie here a while back who went for a Cruzbike. With all the recline and hardshell of the Encore but with the added excitement of front wheel drive. I think the speed demons[1] are a different breed)

Zebee
[1] you know you've been working with computers for too long when it takes effort to spell it as demon not daemon

TrikeTragic

Postby TrikeTragic » Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:15 pm

Let's take this thread into the new year!

Left home at just after 10.00 when carer arrived for my better half. Clear Melbourne day, slightest of breezes, about 26 degrees to start, 31 degrees by the end of the ride - total 2 hours 31 minutes, a smidge under 42 km, averaged 17 kph.

From home, back roads through Eltham North onto the Diamond Creek path, out to Wattle Glen. Then onto Wattletree Road, Broadgully Road and Bannons Road North to Nutfield. Turn at the 18 km mark to come back to Hurstbridge on Arthurs Creek Road, pick up the bike path there, follow it all the way back to Eltham. Then join the traffic again to climb the hill to the Briar Hill shops, and then home.

Roads and paths were generally quiet, to be expected in the New Year's holiday period. I met several groups of cyclists on the outward route to Wattle Glen, passed by one roadie (probably a 30 or 40 year age difference, a 10 kph speed difference and a 20 kg weight difference... :? ) The usual sprinkling of canines, strollers, scooters and sparkling new Christmas bikes.

Trike ran well - tune of rear derailleur before Christmas, fresh air in the tyres this morning and the mortal power unit coped pretty well.... :)

A thoroughly enjoyable, laid back ride!

Cheers
Alan
BentCyclist

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:10 pm

….. it’s starting to feel a bit like “new bike day” is fast approaching, but it’s gonna involve a bit of driving……. #clickandcollect

"Rotovelo Mk2" recently collected from the Trisled Factory #roadtrip

[insta]https://www.instagram.com/p/CnK3HE2pYaj/?hl=en[/insta]
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2
Rotovelo Across Australia

zebee

Postby zebee » Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:43 pm

but it's not green!

Whyfor a new one? is it cos the old one really didn't recover from the crash?

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:30 pm

zebee wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:43 pm
but it's not green!

Whyfor a new one? is it cos the old one really didn't recover from the crash?
Zebee, the Green Rocket was "pretty well good as new" after the crash repairs :lol: .... BUT it was an orginal prototype from 2009. It had about 25/30,000km on it when I bought it in 2012.
I reckon I managed a good 70,000km in the 11 years I rode it... According to Trisled, Rotovelo was designed to have "a serviceable life of 10 years"... which I have duly exceeded.

They have a new model, Rotovelo Mk2, which has a 5kg lighter shell, improved pilot position (more room), tiller steering with full size handlebars, and rear suspension.

I am going to attempt the Indian Pacific Wheel Ride in March 2023...
Trisled said NO! :P to me using the Green Rocket :shock:

Time for an upgrade...and retirement for the Rocket

Orange is the new Green :mrgreen:
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:13 pm

Are you getting hair replacement & bad spray tan to go with the orange look?

Perhaps get a sticker for the dash - "You are a really great cyclist. The best! Really terrific. Just fantastic. Other cyclists? Losers! So great. Very special!
Anything you can do, I can do slower

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Fri May 05, 2023 6:17 pm

well, not today, but my recumbent (Trisled Rotovelo Mk2) has taken me Across Australia..... again.

Arriving in Sydney a couple of days ago,on Tuesday evening.

in record time...

http://rvvelonaut.blogspot.com/
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2

TrikeTragic

Postby TrikeTragic » Mon May 08, 2023 8:33 am

recumbenteer wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 6:17 pm
well, not today, but my recumbent (Trisled Rotovelo Mk2) has taken me Across Australia..... again.

Arriving in Sydney a couple of days ago,on Tuesday evening.

in record time...

http://rvvelonaut.blogspot.com/
Pretty freaking awesome Recumbenteer! :shock:

Cheers
Alan
BentCyclist

TrikeTragic

Postby TrikeTragic » Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:21 pm

Last week:

Put the trike on a trailer for a "week off" (a slightly ironic term for one retired) in Inverloch, beachside Gippsland. Not the best of weather for a few days, windy, occasional showers, cloudy otherwise, temperatures around 17 and 19 degrees.

Tuesday: coast ride to Cape Patterson, 27.6 km total. Despite the cloudy day, fabulous ocean views from the road, couple of decent climbs then a good long descent towards the Cape Patterson end, tail wind on the way out, head wind on the way home. Stopped at Eagles Nest for a decent geek at the waves, coffee at the cafe at Cape Patterson.

Thursday: ride to Venus Bay 50 km return. Cloudy day again, breeze in my face on the way out, couple of good climbs and descents on the way, moderate amount of traffic on the 100 kph road. A quick look at Venus Bay. Tail wind on the way home, felt stronger than earlier. Legs felt like they had a workout....

Cheers
Alan
BentCyclist

TrikeTragic

Postby TrikeTragic » Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:31 am

Well, Saturday actually. (before Victoria got "damp")

10:30 start. Planned for a longer (40 km -ish) ride expecting temperatures to be above 30 degrees in the later part of the ride. Not disappointed!

Quiet ride through St Helena to join the shared path at Eltham North, ride to Diamond Creek and Wattle Glen via the path. Barely a puff of breeze, big blue sky, occasional people walking or riding the path.

Onto Wilsons Road at Wattle Glen, over the climb to Broadgully Road, then out to Hayley's Gully Road and Bannons Lane to Nutfield. Pretty much the halfway turn at Arthurs Creek Road, into Hurstbridge ad re-join the shared path there, back through Diamond Creek to Eltham, then roads (and hills) to home. Pathways were like the traffic - pretty quiet.

2 hours 32 minutes total time, averaged a tad over 16 kph. Over 30 degrees the last hour of the ride, legs felt the heat stress and recovery was "gentle". First ride with real summer conditions, the body will need to adjust to this!

Cheers
Alan
BentCyclist

TrikeTragic

Postby TrikeTragic » Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:30 pm

I'm getting the sense this is "my ride diary thread" somehow.....

Saturday ride, Labour Day long weekend:
10.30-ish start on a day when it was already 31 degrees, heading to 38 later. Blustery wind in from the north. Quiet ride though Eltham North and St Helena to the Diamond Creek shared path. Quiet again on the shared path through the town (although traffic on Diamond Creek Road was "Saturday am crazy") out to Wattle Glen. Wind in my face mostly, although swirly along the creek line and between hills. Very few walkers, a few cyclists coming south from Hurstbridge, a couple of joggers. Maybe one or two walkers with strollers. Either people stayed away because of the heat, or maybe just quiet for the long weekend.
Onto Wilsons Road and across to Broadgully Road - starting to get hot, thankfully plenty of shade, and shelter from the north wind. More traffic coming towards me, than the very few going my way.
Down the big descent of Bannons Lane into Hurstbridge, topped out at 67 kph and had to slow a little when a small, gravel-loaded tipper passed me at the crest but then I caught him closer to town.
Onto the Hurstbridge end of the shared path, tail wind on my bum back through wattle Glen, Diamond Creek and Eltham. Back on the road and in the traffic in Eltham, home via the long climb up Sherbourne Road to Briar Hill. This part of the ride "not so enjoyable" - radiant heat back from the asphalt, not much shade, blustery hot wind, legs and lungs starting to feel the end of the ride was near!
Tad over 36 km, near enough 16 kph average, 2hrs and 16 minutes total. 36 degrees by the time I finished - so there was definitely some heat stress as I recovered. Plenty to drink during a slow wind down with lots of sweat before I went inside to the aircon! There may have been some "recovery shut eye" in the afternoon.

Cheers
Alan
BentCyclist

zebee

Postby zebee » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:53 pm

Did the Thirroul to Wollongong coastal path today.

The Metro is stuffing the Bankstown line so I rode down the Cook's River Path to Wolli Creek station and rode to Thirroul from there.

Nice flat ride with some excellent views although sometimes it wasn't that clear where to go. The bike path ended at a road and the continuation on the other side wasn't all that obvious.

Got a lot of "cool bike" and a couple of "how easy is it to ride?"

Pleaant morning's ride, had a decent fish and chips and home on the train. Nothing adventurous, just a pleasant day out.