Bike Pumps

warthog1

Re: Bike Pumps

Postby warthog1 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:24 pm

CmdrBiggles wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:41 pm

What!? You rode that long route in 37°c+!?
Quelle horreur... :shock:

It would be enough for me now to ride from Bendigo to Castlemaine, one way, and hopefully on cruisy flats, maybe a northerly tailwind, then crash somewhere in 'maine for a coffee and chocs — but of course! Even better, porterhouse and chips at the Cumberland. Ahhhh, bewdiful! :D

Familiar with the Campbells Creek to Fryerstown route (down Main Road, hard left at Five Flags, up then round then up again and round...), though I would be very surprised if it is popular for cycling of any sort — 25 years ago it was narrow, with no shoulder (just very rough gravel) and cars took up the entire road with no consideration for whatever is coming over the hill or around the bend!
I left home at 10:05. Wasn't that hot this morning. Had to watch the Qatar MotoGP race first. ;)
I have lights front and rear and a varia radar tail light at the back so I am visible and know when something is approaching behind.
Yes the Campbells ck- Fryers town road is still single lane for part of it but drivers have been great on the times I have been on it. Most drop 2 wheels in the dirt and slow. Not much traffic anyway.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Andy01

Postby Andy01 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:23 am

CmdrBiggles wrote:
warthog1 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:19 pm

:)
Went through Castlemaine on todays ride. Then Campbells ck, Fryerstown and Chewton and up past Golden point reservoir. Magic bit of road that! 8)

I'm tubeless now. Not too worried about valve stress and tbh its' meant less pumping at the side of the road.
Yeah the tube is good, agreed and better than not having one. I'll prob buy one of those BBB pumps and see what it's like, when they are available online.
Yeah got CO2 also.

Some odd rumours about...that CO2 is not welcome in the environment; others still that the bulbs are used for gassing by kids looking for a 'high' — has some cred as I have last week seen discarded bulbs littering the shopping centre car park. I think also roadies could be more considerate of the environment by not just throwing spent bulbs onto the ground after the repair task. There's a lot of this "calling card" visible on local roads.
I think some of the little (silver) bulbs you might see are probably helium used for blowing up part balloons (you can buy kits for doing this). Not sure about getting high from them, but you can do the chipmunk impersonation. Not sure how anyone would get high from CO2 either ?

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:23 pm

Andy01 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:23 am
CmdrBiggles wrote:
warthog1 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:19 pm

:)
Went through Castlemaine on todays ride. Then Campbells ck, Fryerstown and Chewton and up past Golden point reservoir. Magic bit of road that! 8)

I'm tubeless now. Not too worried about valve stress and tbh its' meant less pumping at the side of the road.
Yeah the tube is good, agreed and better than not having one. I'll prob buy one of those BBB pumps and see what it's like, when they are available online.
Yeah got CO2 also.

Some odd rumours about...that CO2 is not welcome in the environment; others still that the bulbs are used for gassing by kids looking for a 'high' — has some cred as I have last week seen discarded bulbs littering the shopping centre car park. I think also roadies could be more considerate of the environment by not just throwing spent bulbs onto the ground after the repair task. There's a lot of this "calling card" visible on local roads.
I think some of the little (silver) bulbs you might see are probably helium used for blowing up part balloons (you can buy kits for doing this). Not sure about getting high from them, but you can do the chipmunk impersonation. Not sure how anyone would get high from CO2 either ?
what you are seeing in car parks / reserves / road side are Nitrous Oxide cylinders - can be bought in supermarkets and are used to froth cream and for a quick short high...known in Aus' as "nangs" probably not as dangerous as other gas sniffing habits and my post teen young un's tell me a popular recreational drug

edit linky https://theconversation.com/weekly-dose ... drug-83573

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:47 pm

antigee wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:23 pm

what you are seeing in car parks / reserves / road side are Nitrous Oxide cylinders - can be bought in supermarkets and are used to froth cream and for a quick short high...known in Aus' as "nangs" probably not as dangerous as other gas sniffing habits and my post teen young un's tell me a popular recreational drug

Thanks for that fascinating, if a bit troubling tidbit. I encountered 2 of these bulbs rolling around on the main road outside home this afternoon, coming back from a Big Town commute.
GIANT 2024 TCR Advanced Pro Disc 0 AR | GT 2014 Zaskar 29er | 2022 Dragon Raptor e-scooter [Yellow Peril]

Andy01

Postby Andy01 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:41 am

antigee wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:23 pm
Andy01 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:23 am
CmdrBiggles wrote:

Could well be - the ones I saw recently roadside (probably at least 12-14 of them) were scattered along about 300m of road and there was a few balloons scattered with them, hence my connection to a party balloon pack.