Swapping 10 and 11 speed bikes on trainer

Newcastle Dave

Swapping 10 and 11 speed bikes on trainer

Postby Newcastle Dave » Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:06 pm

I have an 11 speed (Shimano) bike on my Jetblack Volt2 Trainer which I use several times per week
My wife rides outdoors occasionally but for medical reasons has been advised to cycle more frequently, and is looking to use the trainer, unfortunately her bike is 10 speed Shimano.

If I set her bike up on a cassette cog that sounds ok, and get her to ride in erg mode (ie no shifting), is this likely to cause any issues ?
(I will setup a Mywhoosh profile for her, and choose some very easy workouts)

The reason she will need to use the trainer is that her medico has advised to ensure she raises the seat to a height where her leg is fully extended. Now that's more or less how she SHOULD ride anyway, but she never learned to ride a bike until into her 50's and despite encouragement likes to ride where she can put both her feet flat on the ground.

nickobec

Re: Swapping 10 and 11 speed bikes on trainer

Postby nickobec » Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:53 pm

It does restrict your wife to erg mode which has problems when she can't hit the required power and limits her ability explore the MyWoosh world. I assume the idea is to get her interested in riding on the trainer, so more options the better.

I would just buy a chain whip and cassette removal tool (maybe $40), and spend a couple of minutes before and after your training sessions swapping the cassettes over.

For outside, consider installing a dropper post on your wife's bike. Touch of a lever, seat drops and she can have both feet on the ground. Gets rolling again, stands up on pedal, presses lever, seat is in correct position to ride.

Duck!
Expert

Re: Swapping 10 and 11 speed bikes on trainer

Postby Duck! » Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:50 pm

I'm assumng a wheel-off type trainer, with the cassette mounted to the trainer rather than the bike. Given the difference in sprocket spacing between 10 & 11-sp, it's pretty much certain that you'll need to do a derailleur tweak to get the chain to line up nicely just on a[/B} gear, even without thinking about shifting. There may also possibly be some extra chain noise from the wider-than-optimal chain not fully meshing with the selected sprocket, instead hanging up a bit on the next sprocket. Otherwise, it should be fine for the type of use you're proposing.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.