Tubeless roadbike tyres

warthog1

Re: Tubeless roadbike tyres

Postby warthog1 » Wed May 08, 2024 9:39 pm

I have used Stans and Orange seal with success.
Havent tried Silca but also read it balls up on ww.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Thu May 09, 2024 9:19 pm

I have to say that the more I read in this thread the more I am happy I run tubes and will continue doing so. 4,000KMs on the new bike and no punctures, no issues with "goo" and check tyre pressure about monthly.

Is it really worth it?

Who knows, each to their own.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu May 09, 2024 9:29 pm

DavidS wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 9:19 pm
I have to say that the more I read in this thread the more I am happy I run tubes and will continue doing so. 4,000KMs on the new bike and no punctures, no issues with "goo" and check tyre pressure about monthly.

Is it really worth it?

DS
I guess you will never know if you dont try it for yourself.
10s of thousands of ks on it and I no longer ride my tubed wheels as tubeless has been such a success for me.
I would not buy a set of wheels now that weren't tubeless compatible.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Thu May 09, 2024 9:36 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 9:29 pm
DavidS wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 9:19 pm

Is it really worth it?

DS
I guess you will never know if you don't try it for yourself.
10s of thousands of ks on it and I no longer ride my tubed wheels as tubeless has been such a success for me.
I would not buy a set of wheels now that weren't tubeless compatible.
Yeah, that's reasonable, but I could run tubeless on the rims on the new bike, just not really seeing the point I suppose.

DS

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu May 09, 2024 10:08 pm

DavidS wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 9:36 pm
Yeah, that's reasonable, but I could run tubeless on the rims on the new bike, just not really seeing the point I suppose.

DS
If you aren't getting flats and are no longer doing many ks there probably isn't much point.

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Fri May 10, 2024 1:41 pm

I save a lot of time repairing puncture with tubeless, and I find the ride smooth and the tyres fast. If you are not having issue with punctures and not too fussed about incremental improvement in speed/comfort, that I would stick to tubes.

Also, If you do not ride regularly, the maintenence in changing the sealant may be an annoyance. With tubes you can let your bike sit for 6 months and then pump up the tyres and ride it. With tubeless you need to replenish the sealant if the bike has been sitting a while.

Tubeless road makes the most sense for people riding roads with high puncture risk and riding often and looking for the best performance in speed/comfort.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri May 10, 2024 2:33 pm

^^well said 8)

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri May 10, 2024 2:45 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 2:33 pm
^^well said 8)
Agreed!!
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Fri May 10, 2024 9:05 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 10:08 pm
DavidS wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 9:36 pm

DS
If you aren't getting flats and are no longer doing many ks there probably isn't much point.
Yeah, I am doing about 100KMs a week on the new bike a week and maybe 32 on the other bike. So, less KMs than I used to but still a few.

Hopefully the punctures won't appear in numbers again soon.

DS

grt046

Postby grt046 » Sat May 11, 2024 4:32 pm

While giving the Orbea a clean and wipe down earlier in the week noticed an office staple had decided to pierce the rear tyre .... both prongs straight in to full depth. Not sure how long it had been there as there had been no obvious loss of pressure or sealant spits and I have been riding 4 days per week of late.
With some trepidation pulled it out and rolled to the bottom. A slight ooze of sealant for a few seconds and all sealed. Happy chappie.
As the sealant refresh was a little overdue completed a refresh.
Giant Defy Advanced 1 (2014) Orbea Gain M20 (2021)

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat May 11, 2024 6:22 pm

grt046 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 4:32 pm
While giving the Orbea a clean and wipe down earlier in the week noticed an office staple had decided to pierce the rear tyre .... both prongs straight in to full depth. Not sure how long it had been there as there had been no obvious loss of pressure or sealant spits and I have been riding 4 days per week of late.
With some trepidation pulled it out and rolled to the bottom. A slight ooze of sealant for a few seconds and all sealed. Happy chappie.
As the sealant refresh was a little overdue completed a refresh.
Nice! :)
I had a similar episode a while back. Rear tyre was losing a bit of pressure overnight. I just pumped it up and kept riding. It lost pressure again overnight. Thought I'd have look at the tyre. Found two bits of radial car tyre carcass wire embedded in there. (We have knuckleheads who do burnouts until their tyres are destroyed here)
Pulled the wire out and rolled to the bottom. Rode that tyre until it wore out.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed May 15, 2024 1:54 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 6:22 pm
We have knuckleheads who do burnouts until their tyres are destroyed here
Nothing wrong with that is there?

They are just enjoying themselves and some of the petrolheads around here would probably endorse it, just as they think it is appropriate to make as much noise as possible when driving.

On a better note, the pest Mazda Capella driver that used to be a complete jerk got caught by the Police with a massive argument and that car (and the driver) have disappeared never to be seen again. :lol: He was most upset that the Police pulled him over.

The road is now much safer (and quieter).

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed May 15, 2024 2:04 pm

Great they got the Mazda turkey. Hopefully the POS was crushed.
Our d heads do circlework out on the rural roads where it is pleasant to ride. Bits of tyre and black marks everywhere.
Hopefully expensive mechanical repairs are headed their way at least. Probably not. They'll just be commodores and falcons which have parts available everywhere.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed May 15, 2024 2:29 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 2:04 pm
Our d heads do circlework out on the rural roads where it is pleasant to ride. Bits of tyre and black marks everywhere.
Hopefully expensive mechanical repairs are headed their way at least. Probably not. They'll just be commodores and falcons which have parts available everywhere.
The Mazda looked like it was a project car from one of the Mazda performance shops in Sydney.

It had been off the road before with an engine failure (was seen with fluids streaming out underneath the car) so the rotary must have not liked being thrashed 20 times a day doing drag-racing away from traffic lights. I'm surprised the Police didn't get the taser out to subdue the driver, he was enormously angry. There was briefly a straight piped 6.5L 12 cylinder Aventador around that seems to have vanished also, someone must have complained, maybe it got put off the road. That thing was freaking loud, no way that could have been legal.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed May 15, 2024 2:36 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 2:29 pm

The Mazda looked like it was a project car from one of the Mazda performance shops in Sydney.

It had been off the road before with an engine failure (was seen with fluids streaming out underneath the car) so the rotary must have not liked being thrashed 20 times a day doing drag-racing away from traffic lights. I'm surprised the Police didn't get the taser out to subdue the driver, he was enormously angry. There was briefly a straight piped 6.5L 12 cylinder Aventador around that seems to have vanished also, someone must have complained, maybe it got put off the road. That thing was freaking loud, no way that could have been legal.
Nice a couple have gone at least. :)
Just need to take every single bloody Harley off the roads too.
One large positive with electric vehicles is the relative lack of noise pollution!

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Thu May 16, 2024 8:29 am

g-boaf wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 2:29 pm
warthog1 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 2:04 pm

Funny idiot motorist story from a few years back, also involving a Mazda.

One night we were woken about 2AM by the sound of a collision. Didn't hear anything else so went back to sleep.

On waking up the next morning we realised someone had completely taken out the bus stop near our house. I'm talking a solid structure completely smashed. Unfortunately for them in doing so they'd left bits of plastic and fibreglass on the ground, and being a car guy I could pick that one bit was a popup light from a series six RX7. In even worse news for them they'd apparently holed their sump when they hit the kerb and there was a trail of oil leading into the driveway of a house a few streets away, where there was a car trailer with a bunch of wheels and tyres suitable for a series 6 RX7 parked in the street.

Being a civic minded person I mentioned this in the police report. Not sure what happened, but pretty sure doing a hit and run on a bus stop in an unregistered race car at 2AM hurt almost as much as writing off your rotary by crashing it through a bus stop and then running it dry of oil.

caneye

Postby caneye » Fri May 24, 2024 10:54 am

that's a funny Mazda story :lol:

reminds me of the ride we did earlier this year on the Old Pacific Highway heading north to Sommersby. On the twisty bits before Mooney Mooney creek, we came across a bumper discarded on the side of the road. It was baby blue in colour. All of us instantly recognised it as belonging to 1 of the Hyundai "N" series hot hatches. Car was nowhere to be seen though. Possibly came a cropper during a night touge run :D

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Fri May 24, 2024 12:36 pm

caneye wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 10:54 am
that's a funny Mazda story :lol:

reminds me of the ride we did earlier this year on the Old Pacific Highway heading north to Sommersby. On the twisty bits before Mooney Mooney creek, we came across a bumper discarded on the side of the road. It was baby blue in colour. All of us instantly recognised it as belonging to 1 of the Hyundai "N" series hot hatches. Car was nowhere to be seen though. Possibly came a cropper during a night touge run :D
There's currently a black plastic bumper off something similar lodged in the armco a few hundred meters into Cootha Back.

It's had me wondering just how firmly it's lodged in there considering they couldn't pack it up and get rid of the evidence. Also exactly how they made such a mess of things to get it there in the first place.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Sat Jun 01, 2024 5:41 pm

Anyone had experience with older sealant going off in the bottle? Was never really happy with my recent install - losing a lot more pressure than usual, which was a bit strange because with my gravel bike out of order I'd done 1500km in 2 months on the road bike, which was a bit more than usual.

Finally wore out the rear tyre today and took them off to find the Orange seal was completely solid. Literally no liquid component. Two months seems a bit early for that - I was very close to the last bit in the 1L bottle. I suspect it was a bit dodgy.

Fitted some discounted Goodyear Eagle F1s this time, it'll be interesting. Fitting was a bizarre process - none of the 'popping' usually associated with beading and it took some time to convince me that they were actually fitted. Reckon I could have done it with a track pump.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Jun 01, 2024 7:46 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2024 5:41 pm
Anyone had experience with older sealant going off in the bottle? Was never really happy with my recent install - losing a lot more pressure than usual, which was a bit strange because with my gravel bike out of order I'd done 1500km in 2 months on the road bike, which was a bit more than usual.

Finally wore out the rear tyre today and took them off to find the Orange seal was completely solid. Literally no liquid component. Two months seems a bit early for that - I was very close to the last bit in the 1L bottle. I suspect it was a bit dodgy.

Fitted some discounted Goodyear Eagle F1s this time, it'll be interesting. Fitting was a bizarre process - none of the 'popping' usually associated with beading and it took some time to convince me that they were actually fitted. Reckon I could have done it with a track pump.
I am using orange seal also at the moment. It seems to stay liquid reasonably well. Certainly longer than 2 months anyway. I put in at least 50ml for road tyres though.
We have a beer/drinks fridge in the garage. I keep my tubeless sealant in that. Maybe that helps too.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Sun Jun 02, 2024 3:20 pm

I was down to the last 50mL or so in the bottle - I suspect it doesn't keep indefinitely in the original bottle (it'd be over a year since I opened it) which isn't a surprise really. I think I'll buy the 500mL bottles in future.

The Goodyear Eagle F1s actually seem fitted, didn't lose a PSI overnight. Weird how they didn't really 'pop' on the bead, I suspect the tolerances are pretty tight. Did break two tyre levers getting them on though. Ride fine, though were remarkably sticky straight out of the box. To the point of throwing a fine road gravel at me for the first 10km or so.

blizzard

Postby blizzard » Sun Jun 02, 2024 4:52 pm

The Goodyear tyres are known to be pretty easy to get on and also seat easily. So surprised you broke two tyre levers but not surprised it seated without a pop.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Jun 02, 2024 7:23 pm

My Schwalbe pro ones have seated without a pop too. I prefer the pop. It is a very reassuring noise to let you know they have seated.

blizzard

Postby blizzard » Sun Jun 02, 2024 8:18 pm

Most tyres have a line running the full way around the tyre just above the bead, you can check that the gap from the rim to the line is even all the way around to give confidence that its seated correctly... I've had issues on my MTB where the tyres didn't seat fully in one area.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Jun 02, 2024 8:28 pm

Yeah çonfident they did seat, no obvious gap or irregularity between tyre/rim edge and working fine. Just prefer the pop as they snap into place.