Black Mt and Mt Ainslee

ciaran

Re: Black Mt and Mt Ainslee

Postby ciaran » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:20 pm

jp80 wrote:Just to throw this in here, I think Ainslee is a lot harder than black mountain.... maybe because I've ridden black mountain so many times. Ainslees kick at the end is incredible on a hot day. Its the only place where I've not only felt sweat accumulate, but I think I could actually feel it coming out of me... it scares me to remember that day!
I used to do reps (3 or 4 in a session) of black mountain on a 39/15 700c fixed gear, you need strength to do it, but it comes automatically if you stick with it. single speed/fixed gear isnt as tough as it looks. I think my heart rate definitely gets higher when climbing with gears.
I'm considering doing Black Mt on my fixed gear, good to see other people do it. I thought it might have been a loony idea.

Did you find that low gearing made your cadence a bit high on the way down or did you sit on the brakes?

jp80

Postby jp80 » Sat May 30, 2009 3:18 pm

yeah, that gear is certainly not big enough to bomb back down... i'm not sure if i was doing it last time i was in canberra, but I did used to clip out and put my toes on the ends of the rear skewer and "freecrank" down hills, just using my brake. It was fine. I wish i had timed those climbs... I was about 10kg lighter in those days.
2007 Bob Jackson Special Tourer - Rohloff
1999 Ritchey Mount Cross - 7800 - Fillet brazed
1991 Ritchey Ultra - ss commuter - TIG
1989 Ritchey Timbercomp - SS/M737 8sp - Fillet brazed
1972 LeJeune Championne Du Monde - French NR

ciaran

Postby ciaran » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:08 pm

yeah, I'm not sure how I'll go with the 44/16, but I am thinking of giving it a crack sometime soon.

As for the descent, I will try to go down fixed and let the cadence be my friend. If it gets a bit hairy I will pull over and flip the wheel around to the 16t freewheel.

Bantam Roosta

Re:

Postby Bantam Roosta » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:42 pm

DavidH wrote:Congrats on not giving up! It does actually get easier as your climbing fitness increases and you get to know the climb better.
This is a big one I think, knowing your climb. It's amazing how much easier a climb is when you know what to expect. I've only done Mt Ainslie once and never done Black Mt, but Honeysuckle for example was an absolute killer the first time, because I had no idea what to expect. It never seemed to end. But now I know it down to the last 100m so it is much easier knowing when the breaks are and when the killer stretches are over. You aren't in the perpetual state of fear, wondering what is next.

BR

samsplan

Postby samsplan » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:03 pm

Bantam Roosta wrote:This is a big one I think, knowing your climb. It's amazing how much easier a climb is when you know what to expect.
Sorry to resurrect an old thread... but this is so true! I think the only thing that got me to the top this afternoon was that I'd done it before (though not for about a year) and knew that it was achievable. Having said that, I guess I didn't really know it well enough - rusty memory, or maybe I was just too bent on getting a PB - because I started way too hard. Result: agony in the legs and lungs the rest of the way up :(

But at least I got my PB! 10'45" took about 20 seconds off I think.

I'm wondering if I should I look at getting lower gearing on my bike? At the moment my lowest option is 42/23. Is a low cadence a bad thing, or is it a case of the tougher the better?

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:31 pm

samsplan wrote:But at least I got my PB! 10'45" took about 20 seconds off I think.
Which one? Ainslie or Black Mtn? Regardless great time
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

samsplan

Postby samsplan » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:29 pm

HAKS wrote:Which one? Ainslie or Black Mtn? Regardless great time
Black Mt. I hope to give Ainslie a go later this week - it's a bit shorter isn't it, so should be a bit quicker?

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:51 am

samsplan wrote:
HAKS wrote:Which one? Ainslie or Black Mtn? Regardless great time
Black Mt. I hope to give Ainslie a go later this week - it's a bit shorter isn't it, so should be a bit quicker?
Damn :shock: .........I'll crawl back under my 14min rock now :roll: :P
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

lemmiwinks

Postby lemmiwinks » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:03 am

samsplan wrote:But at least I got my PB! 10'45" took about 20 seconds off I think.

I'm wondering if I should I look at getting lower gearing on my bike? At the moment my lowest option is 42/23. Is a low cadence a bad thing, or is it a case of the tougher the better?
:shock: That is freakin' amazing. I climbed Black Mtn in about 15 minutes with 42/21 :oops: Are you sure you're not Alberto Contador? Maybe I should drop a 39 on the front instead of the 42!
"...for many people your life is not worth the effort it takes to pay attention or the extra few seconds they may need to wait before they can safely get around you."-BikeSnobNYC

samsplan

Postby samsplan » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:46 pm

lemmiwinks wrote:Are you sure you're not Alberto Contador?
Hardly! While I was pretty happy to go sub 11 minutes, I know it has been done in less than 9 [1], so I've a ways to go yet! And this was absolute maximum effort - I barely had enough energy to unclip at the top before sitting down gasping for air for a good five minutes. In fact, I was still recovering when I got home 12km later...

So to improve the recovery time, I guess I need to start doing intervals. But I'm not looking forward to that on 42/23. Would training be more worthwhile with a higher cadence?

[1] http://www.cycle2max.com/bike-hill-clim ... w-all-PB=1

lemmiwinks

Postby lemmiwinks » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:17 pm

samsplan wrote:So to improve the recovery time, I guess I need to start doing intervals. But I'm not looking forward to that on 42/23. Would training be more worthwhile with a higher cadence?
Not really the right person to answer this, there's endless threads on cadence about the forum especially in the Training section. General impression I get from knowledgeable folks (Alex Simmons/RST) is go with whatever is comfortable for you and focus on perceived effort.
"...for many people your life is not worth the effort it takes to pay attention or the extra few seconds they may need to wait before they can safely get around you."-BikeSnobNYC

samsplan

Postby samsplan » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:33 pm

lemmiwinks wrote:there's endless threads on cadence about the forum especially in the Training section
Thanks, I'll head over for a look.

samsplan

Postby samsplan » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:15 pm

samsplan wrote:Black Mt. I hope to give Ainslie a go later this week - it's a bit shorter isn't it, so should be a bit quicker?
So I did Mt Ainslie last night (before the storm hit) and got 10'45", the exact same time as Black Mtn on Monday. I have to admit I was a little disappointed, as I expected a faster time given it is shorter. But I guess I don't know the climb as well so wasn't as sure when to really push. And it's steeeep towards the end! My cadence on 42/23 really suffered as a result - I don't have a sensor but a quick count at one stage told me 48rpm and no doubt I would have dropped below 40 on the steepest part.

Coming back down was fun, easily hitting 80 km/h :D

Bantam Roosta

Postby Bantam Roosta » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:00 pm

I might have to go for a ride with you and just try and hang on. You're a solid minute faster than me so you would be a great pacer if I felt like punishing myself.

samsplan

Postby samsplan » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:00 am

hey BR I wouldn't mind that. I think you mentioned you hadn't ridden Black Mtn or Mt Ainslie much, so if you want to give one or both a go sometime, let me know! I live less than 15 min ride away from either, and I'm studying at ANU, so it's pretty convenient. I think I'll be hitting them more often :)

PM me if you want to arrange something in the next couple of weeks.