Now we all know about the pros and cons of road tyres and the issues;
- Cost
- Rolling Resistance
- Durability
- Puncture Resistance
- Wet Weather Performance
- Weight
- etc

For a track bike, half of that stuff doesn't apply, you don't get punctures (well on rear occasions), they last friggen ages and you don't ride them in the wet. So to me the issues are;
- Rolling Resistance
- Ability to put a little higher pressure than a road tyre, possibly 130psi rear, 120psi front
- Cost only if its stupid

The $10 nylon tyres that came with the bike (second hand) are approaching their use by date and should need replacing after the fixie century on the 4th of November, when after the bike will be converted back to a track bike.

So what tyres should I put on the shopping list?

Also tubes, I'm considering latex for the lower rolling resistance, as punctures aren't an issue and you need to pump the tyres up each time you use them anyway.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

531db

Postby 531db » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:50 pm

If you are thinking of taking your track bike on the boards ie DGV, under no circumstances consider Continental UltraRace or UltraSport tyres. Slippery as ice due to the 'plastic' nature of the rubber even after 'buffing'. I went back to 13 year old German made Continental Grand Prix's. With any tyre you select put about 20 km or more on them on a concrete or asphalt velodrome to wear the molding residue off the rubber before riding the boards.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:34 pm

531db wrote:If you are thinking of taking your track bike on the boards ie DGV, under no circumstances consider Continental UltraRace or UltraSport tyres. Slippery as ice due to the 'plastic' nature of the rubber even after 'buffing'. I went back to 13 year old German made Continental Grand Prix's. With any tyre you select put about 20 km or more on them on a concrete or asphalt velodrome to wear the molding residue off the rubber before riding the boards.
Yes, DGV should never be done on new tyres.

BTW, I've use UltraSport on the road bike and found the lacked wet weather grip, so I'll only use them on the rear.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:15 pm

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:29 pm

531db

Postby 531db » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:08 pm

The Schwable Ultremo's are still $80 odd each, you don't need the puncture protection. The Criterium Supers are the right price and weight but I have no idea about grippiness. Still at the price they are worth a try.
You could also contact Kennedy Direct's owner, John Kennedy and ask him, he is the current holder of the Professional World Record for the flying 200m sprint (set in the early 1990's).