Cycling road rules changes

JBark

Postby JBark » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:55 pm

Looks like there were some recent change to the road rules, finally no more ridiculous mudguard colour requirements! I don't see anything regarding wheel/pedal reflectors though, I thought that was being reviewed as well?

http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/mediaFil ... keRegs.pdf
Recent amendments to the Road Traffic Code and the Road Traffic Regulations have been enacted and were published in the Government Gazette on 30 August 2011.
The amendments are:
1. Adults are now permitted to ride a compliant power assisted pedal cycle (PAPC) on shared paths with the power engaged. To be compliant power assisted pedal cycles must have a maximum power output of 200 watts which restricts maximum speed capacity to approximately 25 km/hour. PAPC’s are frequently used by older people and those with health issues who have limited mobility and are not capable of riding a standard bicycle.
There has been no change to the rule that prohibits people under 16 years of age riding a PAPC with the motor engaged.
2. Child carrier seats can now be attached in front of bicycle handlebars provided that the rider has an uninterrupted view to the front of the bicycle. Child carrier seats that can be located forward of the handlebars are currently available for sale in WA.
3. If a bicycle is being ridden at night or in condition of reduced visibility, it must be equipped with a front light that is either a flashing or steady white light that is clearly visible for at least 200 metres in front of a vehicle. There is no change in the regulations for rear bicycle lights and reflectors.
4. The requirement that rear mudguards must be either white or silver has been removed from the regulations.
5. The minimum width for handlebars has been reduced from 200mm to 180mm.

GingaNinja

Re: Cycling road rules changes

Postby GingaNinja » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:08 pm

Thanks for sharing, it it good that these rulings were reviewed. The outcomes are reasonable. I was surprised that PAPC was not allowed for under 16s. I would be keen for my kids when they reach high school age to bike to school, a PAPC would be a great option to tackle the longer distance.

ozdavo

Postby ozdavo » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:22 pm

Good to see they have reduced the minimum width of handlebars... 200mm was way too wide :roll:
Always looking for new rides & ride partners in SE QLD area

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:46 pm

180mm!! *picks up a ruler* I have tiny hands and I can barely get them both within 180mm .... not to mention room for the stem :shock:
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:19 pm

WOOHOO I think you can thank me for the mudguards. I emailed them earlier asking about this and think they looked how old they were :)
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

McGoo

Postby McGoo » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:26 pm

Good changes but....did the old rules (except maybe the PAPC) stop anyone from doing anything? I have never heard of mr Plod pulling over a fixie rider and telling him his handlebars were too narrow.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:12 am

The changes didn't go far enough. I'm still riding a non-compliant bike (no reflectors on my pedals - 4 penalty units). I'm riding on unmarked shared paths (1 penalty unit), even though I know that they are gazetted shared paths, and I'm crossing on red pedesdrian/cycle lights which are not sync'ed to the correct traffic flow (1 penalty unit). Each of these were requested to be fixed during this review (BTA's response to Bicycle Regulations).

If I was to be stopped at Karrinyup Rd or Hutton St, I would get a combined 6 penalty units as each of the issues exists at these location, so basically I loose my licence each and every day I ride, if I was charged.

The only change that does effect me is the colour of the mudguard. This was overdue to be changed as I had contacted DPI at the time several years ago requesting a review of these areas. Shame that they ignored the feedback then and again now and haven't completed the task.

The only option available now is to apply for an exception of these areas.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:30 am

rolandp wrote:If I was to be stopped at Karrinyup Rd or Hutton St, I would get a combined 6 penalty units as each of the issues exists at these location, so basically I loose my licence each and every day I ride, if I was charged.
No licence loss as you cannot loose demerit points for offences incurred whilst riding your bicycle; you can get fined which is what the points refer to ... not sure what a penalty point is worth but I am sure six of them will hurt :)

Andrew

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:54 am

I did not know that. I don't know what a penalty unit is either, just copied it from the Road Traffic Code 2000 and had assumed incorrectly that it included demerit points.

Given that power-assisted bikes are now allowed, which are a 'motor vechicle', does this mean demerit points are applicable to them :).

PS doesn't one gain demerit points, not loose them?

elStado

Postby elStado » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:09 am

rolandp wrote:The changes didn't go far enough. I'm still riding a non-compliant bike (no reflectors on my pedals - 4 penalty units). I'm riding on unmarked shared paths (1 penalty unit), even though I know that they are gazetted shared paths, and I'm crossing on red pedesdrian/cycle lights which are not sync'ed to the correct traffic flow (1 penalty unit).
+1

They desperately need to do a bigger overhaul. Really how many cyclists out there - seriously everyday riders - have wheel and pedal reflectors? What a joke that they are still technically required (even though the cops don't actually care, thankfully, they must also know how stupid these rules are!).

I also have the exact same issues with riding a part of my commute on an unmarked, but gazetted shared path and also with the ped/cycle lights being out of sync.

I am extremely glad that they finally fixed the stupid rule for mudguards though. Finally I can ride my bike with a black mudguard without feeling like a criminal. :wink:
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

blkmcs

Postby blkmcs » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:00 am

rolandp wrote:...PS doesn't one gain demerit points, not loose them?
Yes, one gains points and then loses one's licence.
Too old to live, too slow to die.

ozdavo

Postby ozdavo » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:13 am

The code is written with penalty units, and the value of penalty units is set else where. This allows for increases in fines without legislative amendments to the code, just a raise in the value of the penalty unit.
Always looking for new rides & ride partners in SE QLD area

GregW

Postby GregW » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:01 am

The amendments regarding PAPCs needed to be written more clearly.
Internal combustion engine bikes are still illegal on paths (and roads) ......and should have been noted in those changes.

Jezza75

Postby Jezza75 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:06 am

blkmcs wrote:
rolandp wrote:...PS doesn't one gain demerit points, not loose them?
Yes, one gains points and then loses one's licence.
Penalty units refer to the level of $$ of the penalty rather then the demerit points that we have on our MDL system.

Hills hurt but couches KILL!

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:34 am

rolandp wrote:PS doesn't one gain demerit points, not loose them?
Ouch ... :)

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:43 am

elStado wrote:They desperately need to do a bigger overhaul. Really how many cyclists out there - seriously everyday riders - have wheel and pedal reflectors? What a joke that they are still technically required (even though the cops don't actually care, thankfully, they must also know how stupid these rules are!).
Can you please point to the regulation where it states pedal reflectors are required as I have just done a search of the regulations and cannot find anything. Clearly I am searching incorrectly so would be interested to know what you referring to.

BTW Regulation 13 which I think was the relevant regulation in the previous version of the regulations has been removed.

[11-13. Deleted in Gazette 30 Aug 2011 p. 3516.]

Thanks
Andrew

exadios

Postby exadios » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:31 pm

Aushiker wrote:
elStado wrote:They desperately need to do a bigger overhaul. Really how many cyclists out there - seriously everyday riders - have wheel and pedal reflectors? What a joke that they are still technically required (even though the cops don't actually care, thankfully, they must also know how stupid these rules are!).
Can you please point to the regulation where it states pedal reflectors are required as I have just done a search of the regulations and cannot find anything. Clearly I am searching incorrectly so would be interested to know what you referring to.

BTW Regulation 13 which I think was the relevant regulation in the previous version of the regulations has been removed.

Thanks
Andrew
As I understand it the reflector requirement comes from the Australian Design Rules (ADRs). If this is the case then pedal reflectors would have to be fitted by the manufacturer or importer, but the owner may remove them and ride legally without them.

I've not actually checked this - it is just something I have been told.

JBark

Postby JBark » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:11 pm

Aushiker wrote:

Thanks
Andrew
You're right, it looks like the reflector requirements were removed, but this isn't mentioned in the PDF I linked in the OP. Here are regs 11-13 from the old code:
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/wa/c ... 0/s11.html
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/wa/c ... 0/s12.html
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/wa/c ... 0/s13.html

Edit:
But that's odd, reg 12 is the lights reg, and I can't imagine they would have removed the requirement for lights at night? Maybe the requirement is covered somewhere else, since the specifically mention it in the list in the OP? So confusing.

Edit 2:
Yep, looks like reflectors and lights covered in the road traffic code instead:
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/wa/c ... /s224.html

Edit 3:
And to make it even more confusing, this road rules PDF, which was updated on 31 Aug, still has the reflector requirements listed, whereas the link in Edit 2 doesn't:
http://www.slp.wa.gov.au/pco/prod/FileS ... penElement
15-224 2A and 2B

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:43 pm

JBark wrote:But that's odd, reg 12 is the lights reg, and I can't imagine they would have removed the requirement for lights at night? Maybe the requirement is covered somewhere else, since the specifically mention it in the list in the OP? So confusing.
It need to be removed as it created an inconsistency between the bicycle regulations and the Road Traffic Code. The Road Code reflects the Australian wide requirements I believe.

With reference to the "advice" from the DoT I learnt a long time ago to treat it with caution, which is why I always go to the authoritative documents.

Regards
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:56 pm

JBark wrote:Edit 3:
And to make it even more confusing, this road rules PDF, which was updated on 31 Aug, still has the reflector requirements listed, whereas the link in Edit 2 doesn't:
http://www.slp.wa.gov.au/pco/prod/FileS ... penElement
15-224 2A and 2B
Damn that is frustrating as I had hoped with the change to the bicycle regulations this issue had been resolved. Oh, well looks like a bit of research needed to clarify the other states rules and then a letter to the Minister to try and get this fixed. The more people that raise this issue with the Minister for Transport the better.

Andrew
Last edited by Aushiker on Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elStado

Postby elStado » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:08 pm

I am extremely confused right now of which rule is current, and what is legal and what isn't. :?
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:51 pm

rolandp wrote:I did not know that. I don't know what a penalty unit is either, just copied it from the Road Traffic Code 2000 and had assumed incorrectly that it included demerit points.

Given that power-assisted bikes are now allowed, which are a 'motor vechicle', does this mean demerit points are applicable to them :).

PS doesn't one gain demerit points, not loose them?

In victoria a penalty unit is $ 122 (was 119 last year), not sure if they are the same among states.

The amount of units can change consideratly, it start with 0.5 and goes up to 30.

For bicycles the maximum is 5 :shock:
That is for; Fail to stop or give way at level crossing, price $611.....
(also for victoria, not sure if it is the same for other states. )
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:42 am

So this means that I can only get 1PU for riding with pedals not having reflectors now, compared to previously it was 4PU. Thanks for nothing.

Riding home tonight I noticed that when riding with a pannier bag it hides the pedals from the rear. Maybe they better change the regulations to only have clear pannier bags so the pedals remain visable at all times.

My suggestion is to write for an exemption. In the case of shared paths not having the legal signage there must be a case of being excempted from this section.

It was the Department of Transport who choose to ignore the request to have these additional sections not addressed, so I can't see the Minister of Transport (aka the Minister for non-Cycling) doing anything about it.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:50 am

rolandp wrote:It was the Department of Transport who choose to ignore the request to have these additional sections not addressed, so I can't see the Minister of Transport (aka the Minister for non-Cycling) doing anything about it.
Well I am being a bit more hopeful about this; I suspect given the that it has taken eight years to correct the regulations which where written two years after the Road Code and in some instances where inconsistent with same, that the Department didn't even bring up the issue. I am going to involve my local Member for Parliament and the Minister for Sport and Recreation as well.

I see the following points as worth raising:

(1) Inclusion of the regulation in other states road rules. I am assuming it is not here;
(2) Manufacture of modern pedals (clipless) do not include reflectors;
(3) Does the Minister expect 1,000s of cyclists riding road bikes using efficient pedal systems to remove them all and replace them with low-end flat pedals with reflectors and potentially put them at risk?
(4) Does the Minister wish to discourage or close down the State's cycle sporting program (name some key cyclists here) as cyclists are required to use pedals in breach of the law?;
(5) Would the Minister expect the likes of Cadel Evans to remove his bicycles pedals and use flat pedals to avoid breaching the law if he chose to ride in Western Australia?;
(6) What steps is the Minister taking to ensure that major manufacturers (Look, Shimano, Speedplay etc) are able to supply clipless pedals specifically for the Western Australian market?
(7) How does this regulation encourage cycling and how does it fit in with the National Cycling Strategy?
(8) How does the Minister expect to be taken seriously given the debacle over the Bicycle Regulations and now this. When is he going to insist on competent advice from the Department and thus act on same?
(9) Does the Minister of Sport and Recreation support this impediment to a healthy sporting lifestyle?

Edit:

(10) Can the Minister please explain how such a regulation can reasonably justify the potential for liability attribution to the cyclist seriously injured from behind by the careless actions of a motorist because thy where not riding a bicycle with pedals with reflectors. How does he justify the potential increased expense to the State that could result from such an incident in rehad and on going care expenses; expenses that could potentially be reduced due to a fair and equitable payout claim?

Any other suggestions?

Regards
Andrew

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:52 pm

Aushiker wrote: (2) Manufacture of modern pedals (clipless) do not include reflectors;
My SPDs came with compliant reflectors - as a "clip in" which could be left on (dangling below the pedal). No, I don't use them.

I've actually lathered my SPD pedals with reflective tape in an effort to get some reflectiveness but it probably doesn't meet the AS (which probably talks about area)

The problem is that pedal reflectors are bloody effective (I commute at the nether ends of the day, sometimes on bike, sometimes in car) as are wheel reflectors.

Typically the pedals are all that's left on the BMX ninja dudes in my industrial estate - and the only thing that stops them getting run over more often (hell knows self preservation doesn't). At least they're slower moving than the unlicensed, unlit off road chookies which dart along the hard shoulder.....
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ