Uncertain about cycling on certain roads.

Confused1

Uncertain about cycling on certain roads.

Postby Confused1 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:40 pm

I just recently bought a hybrid bike, I've decided to give cycling to and from work a trial. However, I'm not sure if I can use the same route I use to drive there. I usually drive through Pennant Hills Road (60 km/h) on to James Ruse Drive/Cumberland Highway (90 km/h)/(70 km/h) - if anyone from around that area cycles around there could you let me know?

I live in Epping and I work at Wetherill Park, does anyone from the Sydney area know of any feasible routes?

Thanks

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Uncertain about cycling on certain roads.

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:52 pm

G'Day Confused, welcome outside.

I don't know the area at all, but if I can make one suggestion...
Head out with a full water bottle on a quiet Sunday arvo and do a recce. Don't be worried about going out of your way or whether you'll be out for hours, the idea is to find the bits of road/path/lane/alley/arcade or whatever that you can ride to get to your destination safely. All those things you won't notice when you're in the car. Once you get a rough idea sorted, try to string together the most efficient and safest way to go.

I'm sure a local will be around shortly to give you expert advice, if they don't, I'll slide this thread over to the NSW section for you.

Cheers
Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:04 pm

+1 to the Sunday Recce

Also there could be some routes accessible to you as a cyclist and not as a motorist.
2012 Oppy A4

Confused1

Postby Confused1 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:23 am

Thanks for the advice, that's actually what I think I'll do this Sunday, should be a fun day out at that 8) - I did look at some bike routes online from the councils and they don't detail most of those roads as cycle routes, though it doesn't state it either, but I will definitely do a recce on the Sunday.

Cheers

elStado

Postby elStado » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:41 am

Confused1 wrote:Thanks for the advice, that's actually what I think I'll do this Sunday, should be a fun day out at that 8) - I did look at some bike routes online from the councils and they don't detail most of those roads as cycle routes, though it doesn't state it either, but I will definitely do a recce on the Sunday.

Cheers
Yep this is the best way to go. Suss it out when you aren't under any stress or pressure so you can take your time and find the best route.

You'll perfect it over time as you find more enjoyable and stress free detours. I know my commute to uni has been modified about 5-6 times now as I noticed some sections were tricky/dangerous and found alternatives. Have it pretty pat down now after a year riding different routes testing them out.

Then when you have your first ride to work you will feel much more relaxed and confident. Just make sure you have some lights on your bike in case you get caught coming home in poor light.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

Schmenz

Postby Schmenz » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:26 am

you could use the m2 detour.

i ride from pennant hills and go pennant hills rd to murrary farm rd. (theres a bike route and path from epping to here) and then you down the hill, up the hill, down the hill to a bike path to north rocks rd (although im going to do a recon mission to check out nth rocks rd) and then you scooch down new north rocks road back up to old north rocks rd which boots you out on windsor rd (?) (the one that becomes church st at parramatta) you would follow the bike route to the right and then connect with where james ruse dr comes out.

edit: penno rd past carlingford is a pain in the @ss. theres so many side roads on the footpath, and then theres massive cracks every 1m on the road. (on my roadie its not so much fun!) - i prefer the road surfaces of the detour.
Newbie to the cycling world.
2011 Giant TCR Advanced W
http://www.sea2summit2011.blogspot.com

Confused1

Postby Confused1 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:35 am

Schmenz wrote:you could use the m2 detour.

i ride from pennant hills and go pennant hills rd to murrary farm rd. (theres a bike route and path from epping to here) and then you down the hill, up the hill, down the hill to a bike path to north rocks rd (although im going to do a recon mission to check out nth rocks rd) and then you scooch down new north rocks road back up to old north rocks rd which boots you out on windsor rd (?) (the one that becomes church st at parramatta) you would follow the bike route to the right and then connect with where james ruse dr comes out.

edit: penno rd past carlingford is a pain in the @ss. theres so many side roads on the footpath, and then theres massive cracks every 1m on the road. (on my roadie its not so much fun!) - i prefer the road surfaces of the detour.

Hmm, I did notice that as well actually on the bike route provided by the council, I got a bit confused when I saw M2 so I didn't take much note, but now that you mention that route I think that's what I should check out first. Thanks for that!

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:25 am

I very much doubt that you will find Pennant Hills Rd a comfortable ride - with or without peak hour congestion, and that you'd be better trying to use more cycleways. In particular, head south from Epping to the Parramatta River Cycleway, and then hop over to the Liverpool Rail trail like this Epping to Trenton Rd, Old Guildford. Once at Trenton Rd, Old Guildford, you would follow the Prospect Canal cycleway west to the Hyland Rd exit, then follow the cycleway along the transitway to your destination. There some errors in the route around Melrose park - just stick to the cycleway nearer to the River.

If I was using this route, I'd also modify it a bit around Parramatta - after crossing the Gasworks Bridge (Macarthur St), just head south all the way til you pick up the M4 cycleway under the freeway. And of course, you might change where you exit from the Prospect Canal cycleway if your workplace is at the eastern end of Wetherill Park.

Ridethecity will suggest a shorter route Epping to Wetherill Park, and again it's route around Parramatta could be improved. The ride along Cumberland Highway might not be too comfortable - that's why I'd recommend the Liverpool Rail Trail/Canal Cycleway option.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Confused1

Postby Confused1 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:18 pm

Thanks for that! Sounds like you know these routes really well and can't say how much I appreciate it!