Brisbane - Everton Park commute route to Toowong

jsmart

Brisbane - Everton Park commute route to Toowong

Postby jsmart » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:01 am

Hi

I'm looking for a commute route. While I will be coming from a more northern place first, I'm happy to get to Everton Park, but from there I'm not sure what would be best. Ultimately, as the title suggests, I need to end up at Toowong.

I think, at the moment, I would like to bypass the hills around Bardon, so was thinking maybe anywhere that could end me up on the Bicentennial Bikeway in/around the city. Although, if I do challenge myself (in the early days) to going through the hills, I'm not sure where/how I would get onto the new bike bridge near the Toowong roundabout? Or if that is even an option coming from the Bardon direction.

I was thinking of the Kedron Brook Bikeway and have been trying to study the map to determine where it goes, but find it a bit confusing. I'm comfortable to ride on the road, but preferably I would try not to ride along where there's no shoulder to ride on and I might hold up traffic (eg Wardell St - Route 5 up to Waterworks road).

But happy to take suggestions, particularly if others may commute from there.

Thanks and if you need any other info, let me know.

Cheers

Jason

BrisVegas

Re: Brisbane - Everton Park commute route to Toowong

Postby BrisVegas » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:19 pm

jsmart, sorry I haven't cycled to Everton Park, so don't know what the path options might be instead of taking the '5' (South Pine Rd, Wardell St, Jubilee Tce etc. )

I can comment on the Bardon options though, as I live on Simpsons Rd and I ride to the city via the bike overpass at the Toowong Roundabout. If that's something you want to do, then it's not a bad ride around the back of Bardon on Simpsons Rd, Sir Samuel Griffiths Rd and down past the Botanic Gardens. Fairly gentle hills and plenty of cyclists, not heaps of traffic. Most of the traffic goes down along Boundary Rd and that's chaos. Heading home that way takes you up the tough hill near the Botanic Gardens, which is pretty solid and long at about 10%. I struggle up that hill. If you prefer a short, sharp hill you can go up Richer St past the cemetary, then go up past Stuartholme school. Stuartholme Rd is steep and there is no shoulder, so up to you if you're comfortable with that. It'll add a few kms to your ride going around Bardon, but it's probably the quietest road option.

Latrobe Tce is actually not too bad for bikes too. I rode down there for a coffee resupply at Merlo the other day and it wasn't as steep as I thought. It's a busy road, but it's lowish speed and I didn't feel too vulnerable there. You could go that way and swing past Suncorp stadium to get to toowong.
2004 Litespeed Tuscany Ti SRAM Force 2x10 & 2021 Bombtrack Hook EXT SRAM Rival 1x11

jsmart

Postby jsmart » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:55 pm

Thanks guys.

I'll check it out. At least I have a starting point. It might take a few trips to nut out exactly what will work best for me.

Cheers

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:05 pm

The other posts have pretty much covered but I will add - stay away from wardell st. Its very busy, twisty, and narrow lanes. You'd have to claim a lane on most of it to be safe. I go on waterworks road for a bit but most of the parts I go on are wide enough that I don't *have* to claim the lane. You still get the occasional idiot though.

One other way I thought of, is you can go backstreets through alderly/enoggera to either glenrosa rd or windsor rd, then onto enoggera tce, latrobe tce, given tce, baroona rd, then down onto the bikeway.

Its really about time there was a proper north/south link from the KBB down towards RBWH. Or even two such links...

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue May 01, 2012 9:02 pm

I wonder how smart went with this? Is he a knarly commuter dude now?