"Champion Cycles" bike ID help

Tinker

"Champion Cycles" bike ID help

Postby Tinker » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:18 pm

I saw this old bike on ebay and it looked interesting so a friend and I put a bid in and picked it up.

I've not been able to find out anything much about the manufacturer or the bike shop it seems to have come from (hint hint). However the hand painted logo and overall paint job give off the impression that when new it must have looked pretty darn nice scooting down the street.

Here's some pics of the bike and its paint work. I suspect gathering a fully story of its history will be a rather hard ask. Though if anyone can help hazard a guess I'd welcome that. The guy who sold it listed it as potentially 20's or 30's...

Tinker

Re: "Champion Cycles" bike ID help

Postby Tinker » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:25 pm

Couple more images.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:26 pm

Can't help much but I'm assuming you' know that Sydney Rd Brunswick is in Melbourne and the shop isn't there anymore. The old Australian Bicycle History site lists Champion as an Australian brand from Geelong, between 1939-1956 built by Jack & Alf Elsworthy. Now I've found this listing to be fairly untrustworthy as to date period and exact location so maybe this is the Champion Cycles that your bicycle belongs to and they later moved to Geelong (or as I said possibly the list is wrong). There is a Brunswick Cycle Club, maybe someone there might know more?
Cheers
Richard

Tinker

Postby Tinker » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:53 pm

Thanks Richard.

My initial searches indeed showed the bike shop was probably long gone by now.

In my search however the only reference I could find actually was to a Champion Cycle and Motor Works. But that seems to be related to something down in Tasmania.

Being from Geelong myself, the fact you've found a link that could possibly tie the bike in some way back to Geelong is interesting to say the least.

I will shoot off an email to the Brunswick Club and see if they can help shed any light.

The search continues!

Jason