Brisbane City Budget

beauyboy

Brisbane City Budget

Postby beauyboy » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:52 pm

Active transport gets $23 million this year. The budget can be viewed at www.brisbane.qld.gov.au
I have some quires about thou. A 200m on ground bikeway has been alocated $1.5 million. I think council may be pulling the wool over our eyes with this budget. Over estimating infurstructure costs so to inflat the figure.

Anyone else get that feeling?

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

mich rolling

Postby mich rolling » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:10 pm

Where is the 200m of cycleway at $7000/m?

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:57 pm

Kangaroo Point, between Bright St and the Jazz club. I really get the feeling that the Budget is a scam.

Donald
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:11 pm

www.couriermail.com.au
Brisbane cyclists to benefit with network increase
By Emma Chalmers
June 11, 2008 11:59pm
BRISBANE City Council will fast-track the expansion of the city's bikeway network and new paths after funding was quadrupled in yesterday's budget.

More than $25 million will be spent in the coming financial year to build new bike paths and complete "missing links" in the network.

City Hall has committed to spending $100 million in four years to build bikeways - four times the amount spent on cycle paths in Lord Mayor Campbell Newman's last term in office.

"This is a significant commitment that will reduce traffic congestion, decrease carbon emissions, promote fitness and increase safety around schools," he said yesterday.

Bicycle Queensland manager Ben Wilson, pictured, said the spending was overdue, but welcome. "The challenge will be to build enough with the dollars in that four years."

In addition, Cr Newman will push ahead with his plan to offer free bike hire around the city, budgeting $600,000 next financial year to kick-start the scheme.

However, City Hall will rely on the private sector for the additional funding needed to run the initiative, which he hopes will involve the installation of automated bike stations around the city.