Vincent Bike Plan

wellington_street

Vincent Bike Plan

Postby wellington_street » Tue May 07, 2013 1:13 pm

This one is being prepared by Aurecon and should be due for consultation in the near future, if the information on the Vincent website is to be believed:
http://www.vincent.wa.gov.au/Services/E ... _Plan_2013" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some of the concepts proposed were presented to the Bike Futures workshop a month or so ago, including a plan for some very narrow door zone cycle lanes along Oxford St from Leederville to Mt Hawthorn! Several audience members rightfully raised concerns about the safety of these facilities.

It really fills me with despair that so called experts are still recommending door zone cycle lanes, particularly on quiet streets such as Oxford Street where cyclists travelling at a reasonable cycling speed should be quite comfortably riding in primary position. As the presenter himself stated, Oxford St is for local access to Leederville, not for through traffic, and thus vehicle speeds should be low.

I urge you guys to keep an eye out for this one (and all Local Government bike plans) and provide feedback on the treatments proposed. If we don't we will end up with god awful infrastructure that puts us in more danger. While we all want more cycling facilities, we want better and safer facilities - not just doing something for the sake of it, or facilities that result in a worse outcome.

stealthbike

Re: Vincent Bike Plan

Postby stealthbike » Tue May 07, 2013 2:25 pm

Aurocon did the bike plan for the City of Melville and made some recommendations about cycling lanes in roundabouts that really worried me. Some of their recommendations seem to not reflect Australian Standards design (IMHO).
2010 Specialized Roubaix Elite - Black
"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results" - Winston Churchill

wellington_street

Re: Vincent Bike Plan

Postby wellington_street » Tue May 07, 2013 2:39 pm

stealthbike wrote:Aurocon did the bike plan for the City of Melville and made some recommendations about cycling lanes in roundabouts that really worried me. Some of their recommendations seem to not reflect Australian Standards design (IMHO).
Yes I was very concerned about that one as well. The cycle lanes inside roundabouts are unfortunately recommended in Austroads! That means that 'experts' (whether they be consultants, Local Government or State Government) who have no ability to actually think about their design, just following the 'rules' or 'guidance', do such stupidly dangerous designs. Similar story for door zone lanes which are, again, recommended in Austroads.

Melbourne's Canning Street cycle lanes are often cited as a great example of how to do quiet street cycling treatments but that consists of one long door zone with a roundabout in the middle that has cycle lanes painted around the edge of the circulating roadway. Where's the facepalm/despair emoticon when you need it.