West Perth Veloway

Scott_C

West Perth Veloway

Postby Scott_C » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:50 pm

DoT quietly released the 2017-2018 WABN Annual Progress Report on Tuesday. A copy can be downloaded via this link: https://www.transport.wa.gov.au/mediaFi ... _17_18.pdf

Amongst the usual failed promises, projects not delivered and mystifying admissions of incompetence (like how the hell the 3rd busiest cycling counter in the state can be out of action for 18 months due to a technical fault) was the newly announced concept of a "West Perth Veloway" (I say newly announced as, at the time of writing, the phrase has never been indexed by Google as having ever been used online).
2017-2018 WABN Annual Report wrote:During 2017-18, DoT worked with Main Roads to undertake feasibility and concept planning for the West Perth Veloway. The proposed veloway is a grade separated link between the Kwinana and Mitchell Freeway PSPs running through the western end of the Perth CBD area.
When constructed, the veloway would;

* provide a safe, seamless connection between the Mitchell and Kwinana Freeway PSPs, while improving connectivity to other key walking and cycling routes such as the Fremantle Railway PSP, the Roe Street PSP, the Wellington Street cycleway and Harvest Terrace protected bike lane;
* improve accessibility to and from CBD workplaces, particularly for people living in Perth’s northern suburbs;
* significantly reduce journey times for north-south cycling trips across Perth through the creation of a more direct route and the ability to bypass five sets of traffic signals; and
* improve safety at busy CBD intersections which are currently serviced by at grade crossings and a very narrow shared path. These locations can be particularly hazardous for vulnerable road users (pedestrians and cyclists) in their current form.

Stakeholder consultation to discuss concept drawings has begun, with urban design principals discussed with the Office of Government Architect. Various funding sources are being considered to take the concept to the next planning stage.
Whilst still only a concept it is an interesting idea which is well and truly overdue. Though I must question how much "stakeholder consultation" has occurred when the concept has not once been mentioned online.

Red Rider

Re: West Perth Veloway

Postby Red Rider » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:08 pm

Thanks for that, I had a look at the website for the first time in a long time to check if they'd had updated figures.

The veloway sounds like a great idea and sorely needed, but my hopes for it happening anytime in the next decade if ever are low. I'm trying to think how it could be feasible. Possibly with a fly-over from Hay to Market Streets, or even further to Bunning Lake or Leederville Parade to by-pass Loftus St lights. Sounds like a big expense.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:23 am

Red Rider wrote: Sounds like a big expense.
What, when compared with what's been spent on the Busway or the changes to the Carway in exactly the same location?

I guess we should tug our forelocks when they toss us the odd quarterfarthing while they spend guineas.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:19 am

$100m available in the Perth Parking Levy which could be used to fund it:
https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/wa-gover ... b88848329z

mount_street

Postby mount_street » Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:21 am

A concept design for this (looks like it's from 2018) appeared over on Skyscraper City - linking directly to the post doesn't seem to be reliable, look for post #30,139 on Dec 19, 2022, second last on that page. That post contains some copies of the maps, sourced from this tender document (also linked in that post):
https://www.tenders.wa.gov.au/watenders ... er-details

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:37 pm

Thanks for that. The plans look (on my phone’s teeny screen) way more complicated than required. But I’ll look again later, on the big screen
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ