Flared drop bars for Gravel; - edumacate me !!

Mr Purple

Re: Flared drop bars for Gravel; - edumacate me !!

Postby Mr Purple » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:36 am

Makes sense, will definitely still consider stepping mine down a bit.

When I built my road bike I looked at all the numbers - greatest potential for aero gains (apart from the rider position obviously) is in the bars, then the wheels, then the frame. That's why my road bikes always have boring old round tubes but I run aerodynamic bars and deep wheels.

Apparently in the 5W aero improvement of the Tarmac SL7 to SL8 80% of the gain was in the integrated bars. So upgrading your SL7 frameset to an SL8 frameset gives you all of 1W.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:56 am

Not sure it is that simple. I have a 2012 S5 and a 2012 TCR. ~30k km on each of them. Same bars, same position, very similar depth wheels. The S5 is consistently a touch faster.

I'm going aero for the next bike, free speed, just needs to fit a decent width tyre.

Yes the rider is the biggest drag. Helmet also makes a difference as do shaved legs.

The Specialized aerodynamicists in charge of the wind tunnel, Mark Cote and Chris Yu, were so surprised that they tested five more cyclists before they would let Thomas publicly reveal the findings. The results were consistent: All of them saved between 50 and 82 seconds over 40 kilometres.

https://velo.outsideonline.com/news/new ... gs-faster/

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/he ... e20370814/

Steel is real! slow

Dogs are the best people :wink:

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:08 pm

I think the uber wide bars were a bit of a fashion statement to make sure the moustachioed and flannel wearing gravel adventurers could be distinguished from normal cyclists.

Seems that trend has evaporated ....

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:03 pm

:o :lol:

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:24 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:08 pm
I think the uber wide bars were a bit of a fashion statement to make sure the moustachioed and flannel wearing gravel adventurers could be distinguished from normal cyclists.

I have some Curve Walmer bars on my gravel bike. The 46BP version, which means they are not that much wider than my road bars (which are 42 Centre to Centre). Most of the extra width on the 46BP comes from the extended area in the middle to clamp extra stuff to when bikepacking.

I have broad shoulders so the 46 bars are actually not that wide for me. It's a nice sweet spot - goldilocks bars. The flared drops are quite shallow, and when doing some rocky descents I do enjoy the stability of the wider grip (they are 61cm wide at the bar ends). I am doing Thunderbolt's Adventure in the Barrington Tops next month, and the descents are a bit sketchy.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:27 pm

queequeg wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:24 pm
MichaelB wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:08 pm

I have some Curve Walmer bars on my gravel bike. The 46BP version, which means they are not that much wider than my road bars (which are 42 Centre to Centre). Most of the extra width on the 46BP comes from the extended area in the middle to clamp extra stuff to when bikepacking.

I have broad shoulders so the 46 bars are actually not that wide for me. It's a nice sweet spot - goldilocks bars. The flared drops are quite shallow, and when doing some rocky descents I do enjoy the stability of the wider grip (they are 61cm wide at the bar ends). I am doing Thunderbolt's Adventure in the Barrington Tops next month, and the descents are a bit sketchy.
Have you tried riding narrower bars though?
Mine came with 46cm bars and I got rid of them immediately.
Plenty of kms on gravel and no control issues with narrower bars. 60cm wide bars will be a big aero penalty if you actually put your hands in the drops. I ride in mine a bit as it is a lower more aero position. Control is fine on the narrower bars and a far more efficient position.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:21 am

warthog1 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:27 pm

Have you tried riding narrower bars though?
Mine came with 46cm bars and I got rid of them immediately.
Plenty of kms on gravel and no control issues with narrower bars. 60cm wide bars will be a big aero penalty if you actually put your hands in the drops. I ride in mine a bit as it is a lower more aero position. Control is fine on the narrower bars and a far more efficient position.
I have not used narrower bars on my gravel bike. However, I am not concerned in the least about being aero on the gravel bike because this is not a race bike. I am out riding with friends doing bikepacking, so the most important features are comfort and practicality for riding all day and carrying everything with me.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Mon May 06, 2024 5:15 pm

Just had a good look at my Checkpoint after a fast ride on the BVRT today - turns out because I'm running the 'smaller gentleman' 52cm size I've only got 400mm bars anyway.

Given the Deda Elementi Superzero gravel I was looking at are $400 I think I'll put that towards the next gravel bike - they're 400mm as well, even if they've got the more aero flat tops.

I know carbon will also be lighter and dampen down some vibrations but too be honest I've never really noticed any comfort issues anyway. I suspect 42mm tyres at 30-35PSI make more of a difference than any handlebars ever will.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon May 06, 2024 7:48 pm

I am running these now.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMeqkmw

380 at the hoods and 410 in the drops.
I have dental cover :lol: but bought them after seeing positive feedback on the ww forum.
Plenty of control for me. Much more comfortable than wider bars and not turning me into a wind sock either.
Don't really notice any vibration damping over the aluminium goers I was running previously.