Kypo

Gordon1

Re: Kypo

Postby Gordon1 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:42 pm

Thanks GaryF for hoping it stays in the same ownership but hey if it doesn’t I am happy to still be part of all this.

Today I rode it for the first time. It’s a big bike ( I’m not big) and seat post is aero so I can’t drop it down too much. I also live on a hill and it’s track. While it was a small and difficult ride it was great to just get it going again, for all of about 1km. It is presently safe, dry and hopefully will be around for a long time in its current guise.
Last edited by Gordon1 on Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:22 pm

A 1km ride is definitely long enough to reinforcing your love for your Kypo, Gordon1. It's such a lovely bike as you have it setup, and it must sparkle in the sunshine.

Talking about 'unconventional' changes of bike ownership, I've been looking for a distinctive bike frame that was stolen around 1986. It wasn't mine but I would love to know where it went to? I thought I found it about 2 years ago but, although very close, it wasn't the frame I am curious about. Not curious enough to now seek to return it to the original owner, just to satisfy my curiosity. I'm sure the original owner has left the incident well and truely behind him and now it's just a rarely thought of and it's present owner loves it and has no idea about it's shady past.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:03 pm

Interesting story that came out of the Beeac ride yesterday that is vaguely Kypo related. 1972 Melbourne to Warnnambool winner Lytton Sedley had a Gibson road bike which was made for him by Glen Gibson who purchased Rob’s equipment after he pulled up stumps.
Last edited by P!N20 on Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:18 pm

P!N20 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:03 pm
Interesting story that came out of the Beeac ride yesterday that is vaguely Kypo related. 1978 Melbourne to Warnnambool winner Dennis Shaw* had a Gibson road bike which was made for him by Glen Gibson who purchased Rob’s equipment after he pulled up stumps.**

* I think that was his name, I couldn’t hear very well.

** I hope I got all that right, see above hearing difficulties due to recovery ale and chips.
Sounds like you didn't have too bad a case of Coopers virus - good thing you steered clear of the Corona :wink:

Dennis Shaw did indeed win the handicap in the 78 Melbourne to Warnnambool. No idea what bike he was riding though
Anything you can do, I can do slower

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:11 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:18 pm
Sounds like you didn't have too bad a case of Coopers virus - good thing you steered clear of the Corona :wink:
I think Carona would have been a little too exotic for The Farmer’s Arms.

Imwit

Postby Imwit » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:29 pm

P!N20 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:03 pm
Interesting story that came out of the Beeac ride yesterday that is vaguely Kypo related. 1978 Melbourne to Warnnambool winner Dennis Shaw* had a Gibson road bike which was made for him by Glen Gibson who purchased Rob’s equipment after he pulled up stumps.**

* I think that was his name, I couldn’t hear very well.

** I hope I got all that right, see above hearing difficulties due to recovery ale and chips.
Umm it was Lytton Sedley. 1972 winner. He won it on a Hillman. Which ended up in the tip. The rest is right *

* I think. :)

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:44 pm

Imwit wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:29 pm
He won it on a Hillman. Which ended up in the tip......

What? Why?
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:53 pm

I don’t think any part of that overheard story is entirely correct. Acoustics must have been crook. Kypo,
Glen Gibson and Dennis Shaw might chime in here.

Imwit

Postby Imwit » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:07 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:44 pm
Imwit wrote:
He won it on a Hillman. Which ended up in the tip......

What? Why?
Crashed or broke or borrowed and crashed and broke. Or something.
Please refer to Warren’s response above.
I was under the influence of Red Rock.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:08 pm

Imwit wrote:
Umm it was Lytton Sedley. 1972 winner. He won it on a Hillman. Which ended up in the tip. The rest is right *

Wasn’t it Clyde Sefton silver medalist of the 1972 Olympic road race with the light blue Hillman?

But yeah, I thought they said they were both in the same year, which would make Lytton Sedley with the Gibson.

Apologies, hopefully we’ll get to the bottom of this.

Imwit

Postby Imwit » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:59 am

I contacted the interviewer, Darren from Bike Guru.

He confirmed Lytton Sedley off 13 minutes and that the bike ended at the tip. Beyond that he’s, like the rest of us, sketchy.

Must have been something in the hand sanitiser.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:33 pm

Alright, big thanks to Tim who is one of the organisers of the Beeac to the Rock event for clearing this up:

Clyde Sefton’s light blue Hillman.

After the Olympics Clyde used it as a training bike, he knocked it around a fair bit, then sold it off after becoming the distributor for Tommasini bikes in Australia.

It was years later when a bloke contacted Clyde wanting to buy a new Tommasini, but didn’t have enough cash and asked Clyde if he would take a trade in, as he had an old Hillman race bike. Not really interested Clyde did take a look and recognised it as his old Olympic bike and grabbed the chance to get it back. (The bloke trading the bike had no idea it was Clyde’s.) Not a bad pick up.

Lytton Sedley

He rode a Hillman bike in his win in the Melbourne to Warrnambool. Later on whilst on a training ride, he crashed into the door of a truck breaking the frame. Not thinking it was repairable he threw it out.

The bike Lytton had at the Beeac Retro ride was the one he had built by Glen Gibson, to replace the Hillman. Lytton then used this as his race bike and now as a training bike and yes he also had it reconditioned and repainted by Glen Gibson.

It actually just occurred to me I did a ride with Australia’s only Olympic road race medalist and a Melbourne to Warrnambool winner. Wish I knew beforehand!

YouAgainstMe

Postby YouAgainstMe » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:23 pm

Hi all,

I just stumbled on this thread while trying to work out to do with a Kypo that's been in the family for years. I'll post a pic shortly!

My father was friends with Kypo and has had his kypo since new. I have vague memories of visiting Kypo's house/workshop in Gippsland when I was about 7-8 years old! The reason I found this thread is because my Father asked what I want to do with it, he no longer rides and sadly the frame is too small for me.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:23 pm

^ Sweeeeet

That reminded me that I forgot to post a pic of Gordon1’s Kypo with the skin suit that placed in the 2000 Austral:

Gordon1

Postby Gordon1 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:49 pm

Thanks for posting pic.....who goes dibs on the Kypo? I'm keen.

Gordon1

Postby Gordon1 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:51 pm

YouAgainstMe wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:23 pm
Hi all,

I just stumbled on this thread while trying to work out to do with a Kypo that's been in the family for years. I'll post a pic shortly!

My father was friends with Kypo and has had his kypo since new. I have vague memories of visiting Kypo's house/workshop in Gippsland when I was about 7-8 years old! The reason I found this thread is because my Father asked what I want to do with it, he no longer rides and sadly the frame is too small for me.
I would be keen on looking at the Kypo. If not suitable happy for others. Will send a pm

YouAgainstMe

Postby YouAgainstMe » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:35 pm

Will post some more pics for you guys tomorrow. In the meantime here's another pic for your collection P!N20 with a hidden easter egg...

Gordon1

Postby Gordon1 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:48 pm

YouAgainstMe wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:35 pm
Will post some more pics for you guys tomorrow. In the meantime here's another pic for your collection P!N20 with a hidden easter egg...

Fantastic photo. I’m not a huge fan of putting too much info online but this sort of info is fantastic. I have sent a pm but I would think very carefully about selling a family bike, especially if you are a bike person. Sellers regret sucks!

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:15 pm

YouAgainstMe wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:35 pm

Oh my god. Is that the bike?

Gordon1

Postby Gordon1 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:56 pm

It’s going to get ugly between us now......it was fine just a moment ago....now we are like caged animals.

Looks magnificent doesn’t it but let’s not talk it up. I’m sure it’s my size not yours.

YouAgainstMe

Postby YouAgainstMe » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:36 pm

Sorry to get your hopes up but it's not the bike in the pic. That pic is from the first Lakes Tour around 1990. My old man was the tour director and that's Kypo pictured left.

Here is the bike. The old man got it as part of a deal with Kypo and it was made by Kypo around 1994 with Reynolds 731 tubing. This ties in with around the time I went to his house, I imagine it was to either see it being made or to pick it up. The frame was made shorter wheelbase "more like a Belgium frame, than the Italian frames". It was originally a yellow colour but old man had it painted in his shop colours probably after 10 years. She's in pretty good nick all things considered but just a mish-mash of parts, mostly 105 components. :D
I've got the serial number too.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:49 pm

YouAgainstMe wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:36 pm
I've got the serial number too.
Which is...

What’s the seat tube c-c?

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:36 am

This thread has everything, haha. Love it.

Gordon1

Postby Gordon1 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:11 pm

Thanks YouAgainstMe for posting the pictures. The bike looks to be in great condition and it's great that you know it's history. As I said before make sure you consider carefully before selling a family item.

YouAgainstMe

Postby YouAgainstMe » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:49 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. Glad to have one of the few kypos left in the wild :) Gordon you're right about careful consideration before selling it and it's the reason I've been apprehensive saying I would. I've never been able to get my hands on my fathers Austral winning bike so this is the next best thing. Though neither bike holds any value to him! He describes his Austral as just a generic track bike that everyone rode and doesn't really see why I'd want it :lol: . As for his kypo, he has no care what I do with it. That said and the good condition it's in, it will probably far out live him!

Fwiw the seat c-c is 57. I'll see if I can find a pic of it with the original colour :)

I think for now I'll hang on to it and give it a clean up/upgrade parts I already have. I think the price I'd want for it vs what someone would be willing to pay would be too far apart.

Cheers

p.s. there's a kypo sitting on the ocean floor somewhere off of Metung. So I suppose that's one less of the 465 ever made :cry: