RIP Legend

foo on patrol

RIP Legend

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:51 pm

Patrick Sercu has left us, at the age of 74yrs. :(

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/track-l ... zdzZMl7ugs

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Derny Driver

Re: RIP Legend

Postby Derny Driver » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:07 am

My facebook post, for those who havent seen it .....
I woke up this morning and my social media accounts were flooded with tributes to Patrick Sercu. All the cycling news pages, and many great champions paid tribute to this man. Danny Clark, Graeme Gilmore, Scott McGrory, Matthew Gilmore, Joanne Simpson (Toms daughter), Kathy Watt, Colin Sturgess, Tom Sawyer, Kenny DeKetele …Why the fuss?
Patrick Sercu is the undisputed greatest track rider of all time. Some say he was the greatest all-round cyclist the world has ever seen. Professional from 1965 to 1983, Sercu holds the record of 88 six-day track race wins, many of them with his good friend Eddy Merckx. He won gold in the 1km time trial at the Tokyo Olympic Games in 1964 and was world sprint champion in 1967 and 1969.

On the road, Patrick Sercu won 13 stages at the Tour of Italy and six at the Tour de France. He also took the green jersey at the 1974 Tour de France. He lays claim to over 1200 professional victories in his career.
Not only was Patrick a brilliant bike rider, he was also a gentleman and a beautiful person. After helping me with some research for my book, it was possibly the greatest honour I have ever had to be invited to the Gent 6-day in 2005 by Patrick and Roger De Maertelaere who were the race organisers. I got to speak at length with Patrick, shake his hand and have him autograph a photo. He introduced me to many of the great 6-day champions of past years including Merckx and Rik Van Looy.
His contributions to cycling after his retirement are as massive as his career victories. Today we lost a giant of our sport. RIP Patrick.

foo on patrol

Re: RIP Legend

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:46 am

Yep, he was a hell of a rider, DD. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km