New 20inch bike for tall 5 year old.

greenyj

New 20inch bike for tall 5 year old.

Postby greenyj » Mon May 27, 2019 8:44 am

Looking at getting this bike for my son who's already a fairly decent bike rider.

https://www.bicyclesonline.com.au/2019- ... ntain-bike

I have the adult version and am a big fan..

Anyone got one of these for there kid? Or can recommend something better?

bychosis

Re: New 20inch bike for tall 5 year old.

Postby bychosis » Mon May 27, 2019 1:56 pm

Weight 13kg according to the link. That’s petty heavy for 20”. My youngest son has a giant 3spd rigid 20” bike. I rate it over the previous sons 6-7spd with suspension designs. Three speed is usually enough, coaster brake is easier for little kids with lower hand strength.
I’d recommend looking at a full rigid bike, the suspension forks on these 20” bikes are for looks not function.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Sparx

Postby Sparx » Mon May 27, 2019 2:13 pm

greenyj wrote: Or can recommend something better?
That looks like a decent, if somewhat heavy kids bike, though that is pretty standard to be honest. As mentioned the forks will not do much but sometimes the kids enthusiasm for having a squishy bike can offset that.

You can of course get better bikes but just like adults bikes the cost does become an issue....

https://www.commencal-store.com.au/meta ... 2x26304591

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Tue May 28, 2019 3:41 pm

Disc brakes, shocks and six speeds always says to me they're trying to appeal to the adults more than what the kids need. Having said that, you're probably in the best position to determine what your son requires, so if you think it ticks all the boxes, go for it!

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Tue May 28, 2019 6:26 pm

Poor little bugger, that bike probably weighs more than he does!

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue May 28, 2019 8:41 pm

P!N20 wrote:Disc brakes, shocks and six speeds always says to me they're trying to appeal to the adults more than what the kids need.
Lots of this, and kids get drawn into it becuase they can see what Mum and dad have and pester power kicks in.

You don’t rally need any of those extra features unless you are riding pretty serious trails, and if you are doing that you probably want to get quality gear which is way above that level.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue May 28, 2019 10:40 pm

Agree with the above - I've taken my son riding proper MTB trails since he was on a 20" bike and if it weren't for that, I wouldn't bother with a heavier MTB with suspension. Those 40mm coil forks are hard for an adult to compress. Kids hardly ever compress them.

My son is on a 24" MTB now and even when backed off as much as possible, his coil fork is hard for him to compress.

If you're only riding on bike paths and footpaths, I'd save weight and go for a rigid fork bike, maybe 1x7 if hilly/rolling but if it's fairly flat, the 3 speed internal hubs have good gearing.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

dare007

Postby dare007 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:59 pm

I always get my kids the Specialized kids bikes, but the Commencal's look great