Bike route from city north

Wandillup

Bike route from city north

Postby Wandillup » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:44 am

Hi riders
I,m from WA and are coming to Brisbane next month for a break and would like some info on a bike route from the city to northern suburbs(Cashmere)

I plan to pick up a hire bike in the city and ride it north to where I will be staying so looking for advice on the most bike friendly route using mostly either shared or principal cycle paths,doesn’t need to be necessarily the most direct route and would prefer quieter roads as that’s what I,m accustomed to here.
Any advice appreciated.
Thanks

stevenaaus

Re: Bike route from city north

Postby stevenaaus » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:12 pm

Are you here yet ? Brisbane's not the best place to commute unless you know the routes, and i'm not very knowledgable.
All i can suggest is route 5 to Latrobe Terrace and into town through Paddington.

But I'd recommend the Brisbane trains - awesome for bikes (peak hour in busy direction isn't allowed though).

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:18 pm

Could possibly do the Centenary Bike Path to Sandgate and then across to there or this below.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Brisban ... 283333!3e0

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:27 pm

The CBD to cashmere is around 30k. A confident roadie could get there .. pretty average riding. There are some routes that are pretty dangerous. Some that are good with some average bits. Google maps isn't overly helpful.

I'd go north on the forgotten NW route (see BCC maps) that takes you past Alderley station. Then i'd run shaw road and cross over to Old Northern going outbound. That's broadly what I'd do.

Beware that northern area is what I call the "badlands". Lots of motorists that will shave cyclists because it's kinda fun.

In summary doing you'll want to be a fit confident roadie to do 60k return a day. Let us know if you are doing it and need more help. :( And especially let me know if you've done it and are still alive. :shock: