Cargo bike share is on the charge

opik_bidin

Cargo bike share is on the charge

Postby opik_bidin » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:43 pm

https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/newsr ... o6nzGyxA0Q

Electric assisted cargo bike share schemes seem to have hit the sweet spot as people re-think the need to invest in bulky SUVs to move stuff.

Around the world, bike share schemes that make available e-cargo bikes have found people eager to sign up.

E-cargo bikes are proving highly popular for the transport of purchased goods, children and even moving crates. They have plenty of storage space, and their electric motor makes it easy to transport loads of up to 100kg for local trips.

Traditional cargo bikes could do the job, but they might require a little more muscle power than many people possess.

But stick a battery in it, and all that changes.

Wider, safer bike paths and special parking spots for cargo bikes would provide more room for this means of transport.

Carvelo2go was the first e-cargo bike sharing project in the world, starting out in 2015.

Since its introduction of in Basel, the number of users has strongly increased each year.

Pax

Re: Cargo bike share is on the charge

Postby Pax » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:56 pm

Interesting. I’m a big fan of the cargo bikes but while I can see why it’d work in a society with a high number of non-car-owners, I find it hard imagining this working in Australia where so many people have cars with boots and back seats with much greater volume than a cargo bike’s box.

Still, very interesting

Tamiya

Postby Tamiya » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:50 am

Plus 250/350W ain't that much power to share between pushing my fat butt & a cargo load :oops:

zebee

Postby zebee » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:00 pm

I dunno.. I'm no lightweight and neither is the trike but I can fill the trailer with a slab of beer and a bunch of shopping, put the rest of the shopping in the pannier and get it up some fair old hills.

OK I have to use the smallest chainring and the highest assist but that's what assist is for!