What generally happens to stolen bikes?

Forum rules
Before posting, please read the guidelines first.
mjbmikeb2

What generally happens to stolen bikes?

Postby mjbmikeb2 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:26 am

Do they get broken down with recognisable parts such as the frame being ditched?
Facebook seems to be full of carbon wheels for sale which seems odd.
I can understand the plethora of cranks for sale as some people replace the stock cranks with power meter cranks on new bikes, but wheels, seriously who replaces one set of carbon wheels with another set of carbon wheels?
Do parents buy 'cheap' (no questions asked) second hand bikes for their kids to use?

RonK

Re: What generally happens to stolen bikes?

Postby RonK » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:22 am

I think many are sold on Gumtree or in pawn shops.

It's not surprising that there is a trade in wheels. It has always been common for keen riders to have multiple sets.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:37 am

Some end up in cash converters/pawn shops, some on Gumtree, some get stripped and sold as components with the frame getting chucked in a dumpster or a vacant lot.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

Shred11

Postby Shred11 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:10 pm

The local Police think someone steals them, stashes the bikes in a shed and then every few months they mix and match parts between all the bikes to make them unrecognisable. The new frankenstein bikes go on scumtree or FaceBook Marketplace.

It amazing how many of the “bogan on a bike” riders around here ride Bianchi and other high end bikes with the seat slammed right down and other things that make me think “you didn’t buy that bike, did you!”

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:11 pm

Shred11 wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:10 pm
The local Police think someone steals them, stashes the bikes in a shed and then every few months they mix and match parts between all the bikes to make them unrecognisable. The new frankenstein bikes go on scumtree or FaceBook Marketplace.

It amazing how many of the “bogan on a bike” riders around here ride Bianchi and other high end bikes with the seat slammed right down and other things that make me think “you didn’t buy that bike, did you!”
This and cash converters.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:29 am

Opportunity thieves like drug addicts or scum knick a bike that is easy to steal and aim to quickly sell for a bit of cash.

The others are the ones who plan more, from a scumbag who knows a nice bike is regularly locked in a specific location to organised criminals of different scales who, as described above, target bikes en mass.

—-

The pawn shops should, in theory, have an eye for stolen goods and do more to protect... sometines they do, sometimes they don’t. The classifieds are also popular option. But there are also bike riders who steal and use gear and sell / swap with friends.

On carbon wheels, there are a lot if legitimate sales. Aspiring racers upgrade or swap-out what us not perfect and a good brand / model can uphold value.
Cycling is in my BNA