I Need Weight Training Advice.

Big Pete 1

I Need Weight Training Advice.

Postby Big Pete 1 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:04 pm

If you're actually doing weight training for competitive road racing, what would be the most important exercises to get into?

MY CURRENT SITUATION:
I am 65 y.o.; a heavy-boned person, 186 cm tall, 98kg (wanting to get down to about 85 kg). Have tummy and chest flab after losing 25 kg last year. Ride 300-400 km/wk. Avg solo cruising speed is 33-35 kph, can stay in bunch doing 40 kph. Wanting to ride faster, and so I am now doing interval training, which I've noticed some improvements.

Hills are a problem due to excess weight, but even if I did look anorexic, I would still be heavy due to my bones. So my alternative, as I see it, is to be stronger _ like how the guys were in the older days, even though they had very slim upper bodies.

I can't ride as often as I like without giving up my other daylight responsibilities - I get too tired after my morning ride. Wish to fill in the gaps by weight training _ before going to sleep at night.

Hope I have filled in the picture of my status and situation for a more informed advice/suggestions from those who know by experience.

So, what would you do on a basic home bench-gym set-up?

g-boaf

Re: I Need Weight Training Advice.

Postby g-boaf » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:30 pm

Big Pete 1 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:04 pm
If you're actually doing weight training for competitive road racing, what would be the most important exercises to get into?

MY CURRENT SITUATION:
I am 65 y.o.; a heavy-boned person, 186 cm tall, 98kg (wanting to get down to about 85 kg). Have tummy and chest flab after losing 25 kg last year. Ride 300-400 km/wk. Avg solo cruising speed is 33-35 kph, can stay in bunch doing 40 kph. Wanting to ride faster, and so I am now doing interval training, which I've noticed some improvements.

Hills are a problem due to excess weight, but even if I did look anorexic, I would still be heavy due to my bones. So my alternative, as I see it, is to be stronger _ like how the guys were in the older days, even though they had very slim upper bodies.

I can't ride as often as I like without giving up my other daylight responsibilities - I get too tired after my morning ride. Wish to fill in the gaps by weight training _ before going to sleep at night.

Hope I have filled in the picture of my status and situation for a more informed advice/suggestions from those who know by experience.

So, what would you do on a basic home bench-gym set-up?
When you say 33-35km/h average, that's your average speed for the entire ride, let's say 120km with 1000m elevation, right? I know that's not scientific either, if you are on cycleways then a 32km/h average speed for that ride is going to be much harder than if you are on empty country roads with no stopping and starting.

What you could do is keep up the 400km per week, do the intervals in there and try to be really good about what you eat (especially on your easy days), no eating rubbish. Do your easy days very easy, and do your hard rides as hard as possible.

If you insist on gym workouts, you can have a look here for some stuff that will work:

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/knowl ... f-the-bike

Also remember to get adequate rest, that will help with not feeling tired after your rides. You need to get enough sleep. How much sleep are you getting at night?

Another thing too after your rides, don't stop - keep moving about because that will also help you a lot.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:06 pm

A caution...

Anyone considering weight training that is aimed at strength should be aware of the following which, in my experience, health professionals seldom explain adequately.

Someone new to strength training in the gym is likely to experience their most rapid increase in strength in the the first few weeks than they will thereafter. It is tempting then to stack on more load, But, in their own mind sensibly, they will limit that extra weight so as to feel not too much extra effort. The perceived extra effort for an extra load may feel no greater than it did on day one, reassuring you that you are not advancing too fast and that your muscles are now less likely to fail.

However, that initial increase in strength will arise NOT from an increase in connective tissue (muscle fibres, cartilege tendons). Almost all of it arises from an increase in the effectiveness of motor unit recruitment.

"Recruitment" is the interaction between your nervous system and your muscles. The muscles are more responsive to the same level of electrical signal from the nervous system than they were on day one. You feel stronger but the muscles themselves are not so much. And it will fool you into pushing up the loads on those muscles while obscuring the fact that your muscles do not yet have the bulk to do so safely.

(BTW I am not just talking about body building level programs.)

In addition, tendons do not develop as fast as does muscle. They have the double whammy of not signalling back to if you are pushing them too hard. And, when they do fail, with their poor blood supply, recovery takes far longer than it does for muscle.

Whether you are twenty or you are sixty, those basics hold true. But at your age (and mine) the healing of any damage is going to be far longer. For a start you and I have probably producing less than a third of the testosterone we made at twenty :( .

I've been a great believer in strength training since I was a high school gymnast so I say, don't be scared of the gym. But be wise and do not assume that the staff at the gym (a rare commodity in 24 hour gyms anyway) will monitor your efforts or explain things as well as they should. Add work VERY cautiously as you progress, especially at the beginning when recruitment is so rapidly enhanced.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:20 pm

Some food for thought on weight loss:

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/knowl ... ght-Loss-0

If you aren't doing so already, consider using something like training peaks to track what you are doing on the bike. Charts like this one are useful:

You can see what sort of training efforts you are doing, plan future ones and know when to back off (ie, if you have an event coming up). Future training (eg, trainer rides) you can approximate the TSS on those based on what you've done before, same with planned rides. No, training peaks isn't very colourful or flashy, but it is a great application and the phone app is one of the best. If you want to, you can go this way track everything, but that's up to you.

Also, you won't be doing weights all the time, that will probably be counter productive. As with riding, you have to let the recovery happen.

Big Pete 1

Postby Big Pete 1 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:11 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:30 pm
When you say 33-35km/h average, that's your average speed for the entire ride, let's say 120km with 1000m elevation, right? ...
Mostly along the flat, but if there is any elevation I am very good at stretching out the pace during and after the descent. So, yes, generally I ride about 32-33 kph with hills over a 100 km distance.
g-boaf wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:30 pm
... How much sleep are you getting at night?
My goal has always been to sleep 8 hrs. If I can't sleep the last hour or so, I just lay still until the alarm comes on.

By the way, thanks for sharing your information and link.

Big Pete 1

Postby Big Pete 1 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:14 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:06 pm
A caution...

Anyone considering weight training that is aimed at strength should be aware of the following which, in my experience, health professionals seldom explain adequately.

Someone new to strength training in the gym is likely to experience their most rapid increase in strength in the the first few weeks than they will thereafter. It is tempting then to stack on more load, But, in their own mind sensibly, they will limit that extra weight so as to feel not too much extra effort. The perceived extra effort for an extra load may feel no greater than it did on day one, reassuring you that you are not advancing too fast and that your muscles are now less likely to fail.

However, that initial increase in strength will arise NOT from an increase in connective tissue (muscle fibres, cartilege tendons). Almost all of it arises from an increase in the effectiveness of motor unit recruitment.

"Recruitment" is the interaction between your nervous system and your muscles. The muscles are more responsive to the same level of electrical signal from the nervous system than they were on day one. You feel stronger but the muscles themselves are not so much. And it will fool you into pushing up the loads on those muscles while obscuring the fact that your muscles do not yet have the bulk to do so safely.

(BTW I am not just talking about body building level programs.)

In addition, tendons do not develop as fast as does muscle. They have the double whammy of not signalling back to if you are pushing them too hard. And, when they do fail, with their poor blood supply, recovery takes far longer than it does for muscle.

Whether you are twenty or you are sixty, those basics hold true. But at your age (and mine) the healing of any damage is going to be far longer. For a start you and I have probably producing less than a third of the testosterone we made at twenty :( .

I've been a great believer in strength training since I was a high school gymnast so I say, don't be scared of the gym. But be wise and do not assume that the staff at the gym (a rare commodity in 24 hour gyms anyway) will monitor your efforts or explain things as well as they should. Add work VERY cautiously as you progress, especially at the beginning when recruitment is so rapidly enhanced.
Very interesting information. It fits well with other psycho-biological quirks I have experienced since getting fit for competitive racing. I will keep watch on what you have shared with me. Thank you very much.

Big Pete 1

Postby Big Pete 1 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:29 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:20 pm
Some food for thought on weight loss:

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/knowl ... ght-Loss-0

If you aren't doing so already, consider using something like training peaks to track what you are doing on the bike. Charts like this one are useful:

You can see what sort of training efforts you are doing, plan future ones and know when to back off (ie, if you have an event coming up). Future training (eg, trainer rides) you can approximate the TSS on those based on what you've done before, same with planned rides. No, training peaks isn't very colourful or flashy, but it is a great application and the phone app is one of the best. If you want to, you can go this way track everything, but that's up to you.

Also, you won't be doing weights all the time, that will probably be counter productive. As with riding, you have to let the recovery happen.
Thanks again g-boaf for information. I do plan and follow a training peaks concept for one or two main events in the year. Also use a micro version, or a weekly plan, so I can be recharged for the weekend race.

However, I do not get into it too closely. Much as I don't get into watching what speed I am doing either. Sure I take a glance at the bike computer now and again, but I mainly and purposely avoid doing so. I perform better when I focus on perceived degree of effort, and alter my gearing for changes of terrain and wind to keep the effort at a steady state. Then at the end of the ride (totally drained) I know I did my best for the whole distance.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:53 am

CORRECTION:

I should have proofed what I posted BEFORE i went out to the restaurant, not after.

I stated "The muscles are more responsive to the same level of electrical signal from the nervous system than they were on day one".

Actually, it should have gone something like this: "The muscles are more responsive to the same level of conscious effort than they were on day one. More neurons that previously did NOT actuate a particular muscle reconfigure to fire for that muscle." ie MORE neurons are recruited to trigger the muscle into action."
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Big Pete 1

Postby Big Pete 1 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:28 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:53 am
CORRECTION:

I should have proofed what I posted BEFORE i went out to the restaurant, not after.

I stated "The muscles are more responsive to the same level of electrical signal from the nervous system than they were on day one".

Actually, it should have gone something like this: "The muscles are more responsive to the same level of conscious effort than they were on day one. More neurons that previously did NOT actuate a particular muscle reconfigure to fire for that muscle." ie MORE neurons are recruited to trigger the muscle into action."
Thank you Colin for clarification.

Big Pete 1

Postby Big Pete 1 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:36 pm

Started doing just the basics weight training exercises (squats, push-ups, crutches, and hand-over rowing). Push-ups and crunches are my weakest. Abs are sore, even after 6 days without crunches; I think squats and hand-over rowing also exercises the abs.

Finding it a bit hard to get started with the routine, but once started I continue the routine to the end, and feel better for doing it.

Wollemi

Postby Wollemi » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:30 pm

A mate sent me one of those 25 push-ups a day for 25 days challenges. To somehow raise awareness of mental health. I declined as I am not charismatic enough to persuade others to do stuff.
I decided I would do the push-up thing for myself. I did 25 on Monday spread out between chores. I am still very sore now. Why so? - I cycled over 700km in May, including two solo rides exceeding 150km.
Live every day as though it is your last - one day you will be right...

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:53 pm

Wollemi wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:30 pm
A mate sent me one of those 25 push-ups a day for 25 days challenges. To somehow raise awareness of mental health. I declined as I am not charismatic enough to persuade others to do stuff.
I decided I would do the push-up thing for myself. I did 25 on Monday spread out between chores. I am still very sore now. Why so? - I cycled over 700km in May, including two solo rides exceeding 150km.

I'm guessing you asking about this? :?: Well, because you have just used different muscle groups. :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km