RUOK?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
warthog1

Re: RUOK?

Postby warthog1 » Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:27 pm

Hope you are able to see a way to shake it off Foo.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:54 pm

Thanks blokes, it doesn't help when you're putting up with constant pain in the back and hips :(
but today was better, well the mood was. :mrgreen:

Good that you're starting to get back into the swing of things, G-Boaf. 8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:02 pm

Good to hear :)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:53 am

It's that day of the year where there is extra emphasis on RUOK. Hope everybody is okay and if you're not, please speak up and talk to us. :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:54 pm

50% healed now.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:58 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:54 pm
50% healed now.

Woohoo. :D

Foo
Goal 6000km

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:27 am

Had a ridiculously innocuous (and embarrassing) clipstack mishap yesterday 25kms into my ride at walking pace while negotiating some bollards getting onto a narrow bridge - overbalanced and my upper body landed on the top railing of a metal fence. Not a scratch on me or the bike. Was very sore for a minute or two but after stopping to compose myself and have a drink I resumed my ride and made it another 25kms before the pain got too much and had to call the wifebulance to pick me up a few kms from home. Ended up in ED for 4 hours for xrays and a CT scan to make sure there was no internal damage. They had to give me morphine so I could lie flat for the CT scan. Outcome is one cracked rib and a takeaway bag of endone.

My biggest fear is sneezing - because I know what that feels like having done ribs a couple of times over the years.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:49 am

Retrobyte wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:27 am
Had a ridiculously innocuous (and embarrassing) clipstack mishap yesterday 25kms into my ride at walking pace while negotiating some bollards getting onto a narrow bridge - overbalanced and my upper body landed on the top railing of a metal fence. Not a scratch on me or the bike. Was very sore for a minute or two but after stopping to compose myself and have a drink I resumed my ride and made it another 25kms before the pain got too much and had to call the wifebulance to pick me up a few kms from home. Ended up in ED for 4 hours for xrays and a CT scan to make sure there was no internal damage. They had to give me morphine so I could lie flat for the CT scan. Outcome is one cracked rib and a takeaway bag of endone.

My biggest fear is sneezing - because I know what that feels like having done ribs a couple of times over the years.
Bugger! What is it with innocent / silly accidents this year having bad results. :( Hope you recover soon and don't sneeze or cough too much. (brace, then wait for the ouch)

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:09 am

Retrobyte wrote:

That's a bastard of a thing to happen. :( I have found that the slow speed crashes inflict the most damage and pain. :shock:

Foo
Goal 6000km

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:29 am

A week since I cracked a rib and it still hurts like a mofo if I don't think before moving. The slow release Endone they gave me seems to only dull the pain by 10-20%. With most injuries you see some improvement in a week, but this looks like a very slow recovery.

Sitting down is mostly comfortable, as is lying down - in two specific positions only. Transitioning between sitting and standing, or standing and lying down, or any combination of those positions is a very slow process that involves pre-planning how I am going to move to avoid the sharp pain of what feels like being kicked in the ribs. Not enjoying the lack of mobility at all.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:08 pm

Mobility with cracked or broken ribs sucks big time from what I've been told. :(

Foo
Goal 6000km

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:31 pm

Retrobyte wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:29 am
A week since I cracked a rib and it still hurts like a mofo if I don't think before moving. The slow release Endone they gave me seems to only dull the pain by 10-20%. With most injuries you see some improvement in a week, but this looks like a very slow recovery.

Sitting down is mostly comfortable, as is lying down - in two specific positions only. Transitioning between sitting and standing, or standing and lying down, or any combination of those positions is a very slow process that involves pre-planning how I am going to move to avoid the sharp pain of what feels like being kicked in the ribs. Not enjoying the lack of mobility at all.
I've had something similar a long time ago so I understand totally. Occasionally very sharp pains at random times, sneezing or coughing absolutely horrific. When a sneeze was coming on I'd go into "brace" position ahead of it. At first I really had troubles with lying down - I ended up trying to sleep in a reclining chair. It took a few months for things to settle down.

Fingers crossed things settle down for you.

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:33 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:31 pm

I've had something similar a long time ago so I understand totally. Occasionally very sharp pains at random times, sneezing or coughing absolutely horrific. When a sneeze was coming on I'd go into "brace" position ahead of it. At first I really had troubles with lying down - I ended up trying to sleep in a reclining chair. It took a few months for things to settle down.

Fingers crossed things settle down for you.
Thanks - I appreciate it. I realise it's just one cracked rib so is miniscule compared to our injury, so don't get me wrong ... I'm very glad it is no more than a cracked rib. But it goes to show that even what seems to be a minor injury can stop someone doing the things they enjoy. Makes it worse when I can see the sun shining outside.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:03 pm

Help....I think I've come down with APS :shock: Acute Procrastination Syndrome

It's been some time since I've been out on my Vivente, probably a good few Months and over the last week I've cleaned and polished the bike, bought a new saddle (i got my sit bones measured as I hated the original saddle) a specialized saddle has been fitted, I've pumped up the tyres to be ready for the next nicest no rainy day and here it is nearly 3pm on a nice but cool Holiday Monday and too scared to go out, I have no where in particular to go that won't take hours to get there and absolutely nobody to do a ride with.

I still live in the Beverly Hills district in Sydney and the traffic is bloody dangerous out here, I used to think nothing of it and that wasn't that long ago but now I think I've lost my nerve. There's simply no-where around here that interesting to ride to that won't go near major roads. It's now near 3pm, even with daylight saving, I now feel like I've wasted a perfectly good riding day and the next week's weather looks like crap again. I really hate this area i live in and can't wait to move out but that could still be at least 2 Months away.......feeling a bit low today :|

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:08 pm

Retrobyte wrote:

Retro, sorry to read of your mishap, doesn't really take much to snap a bone, just got to land on it in the wrong way even if at a standstill. And Yes it's bloody painful, I get hay fever a bit this time of year and often sneeze repeatedly, I'd hate to do that with a cracked or broken rib. Hope it heels quickly for you Retro but I think it's gonna take a while.
Unless you've got Osteoperosis, generally a broken rib will heal stronger than it was originally....
Take care mate.

Cheers

brumby33

VWR Patagonia 2017

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:55 am

brumby33 wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:03 pm

It's been some time since I've been out on my Vivente, probably a good few Months and over the last week I've cleaned and polished the bike, bought a new saddle (i got my sit bones measured as I hated the original saddle) a specialized saddle has been fitted, I've pumped up the tyres to be ready for the next nicest no rainy day and here it is nearly 3pm on a nice but cool Holiday Monday and too scared to go out, I have no where in particular to go that won't take hours to get there and absolutely nobody to do a ride with.

I still live in the Beverly Hills district in Sydney and the traffic is bloody dangerous out here, I used to think nothing of it and that wasn't that long ago but now I think I've lost my nerve. There's simply no-where around here that interesting to ride to that won't go near major roads. It's now near 3pm, even with daylight saving, I now feel like I've wasted a perfectly good riding day and the next week's weather looks like crap again. I really hate this area i live in and can't wait to move out but that could still be at least 2 Months away.......feeling a bit low today :|

brumby33

Sometimes you just need to say stuff it and get on the bike. :idea:

Foo
Goal 6000km

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:10 am

foo on patrol wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:55 am
brumby33 wrote:

brumby33

Foo
Yeah Foo, that's what actually happenned, I ended up going out for about an hour and a half and done about about 20 something K's to a suburb South of where I was, I was hating on myself so much for being so bloody lazy so I just said Bu**er it I'll just go for a slow ride somewhere. I actually found a gravel road to try and see if this Touring bike could handle it....it did but was a bit shakey.

I was going to update my post here but by the time i got home and had a shower etc, I forgot about it.

But as I did say in my post, this area in which I live doesn't lend itself to be a good environment to ride in, so many main roads to cross to get anywhere.
Once I can move down to my place in Albury, I'll be ok, nice wide streets, quite a few bike paths/trails, lowered town speed limits. I think in the town it'self the speed limit is 30kph.

And whilst cycling is a solo activity on it's own, it'd be nice to have a regular cycling friend to go out and share the joy, but they are super hard to come by, my Mrs refuses to go out cycling with me even if I offer to buy her a brand new bike, she doesn't want anything to do with them even though she comes from one of the most Cycle friendly Countries in the world (Japan) she considers a bicycle is only transport to do some messages that take too long to walk and that's it and that Bicycles are only for poor people. Over the many years I've pleaded for her to give it a shot but nope...she steadfastly refuses. She's too much a homebody.

Meanwhile, I'll just keep kicking myself up the backside and get out on the bike in between downpours.

brumby33

VWR Patagonia 2017

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:20 am

Retrobyte wrote:

This week I'm seeing improvement daily, which has made me less depressed than last week. Sleeping is still the most uncomfortable thing, and getting into and out of the car doesn't take a minute any more.

At least with all this rain I've managed to hold on to most of my Local Legends in Strava despite not riding for 11 days - a lot of people obviously aren't riding because of the weather.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:56 am

Retrobyte wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:20 am
Retrobyte wrote:

This week I'm seeing improvement daily, which has made me less depressed than last week. Sleeping is still the most uncomfortable thing, and getting into and out of the car doesn't take a minute any more.

At least with all this rain I've managed to hold on to most of my Local Legends in Strava despite not riding for 11 days - a lot of people obviously aren't riding because of the weather.
Yes Retro, even without the injury, this constant wet weather is depressing enough without having to deal with something else. Glad to read it's getting a bit better, it'll just take time but I think this La-nina event won't be going away too soon, so enjoy the time off and heal without the stress of it being lovely weather and not being able to get out there.

VWR Patagonia 2017

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:15 am

brumby33 wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:10 am
foo on patrol wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:55 am
brumby33 wrote:

brumby33

Foo
Yeah Foo, that's what actually happenned, I ended up going out for about an hour and a half and done about about 20 something K's to a suburb South of where I was, I was hating on myself so much for being so bloody lazy so I just said Bu**er it I'll just go for a slow ride somewhere. I actually found a gravel road to try and see if this Touring bike could handle it....it did but was a bit shakey.

I was going to update my post here but by the time i got home and had a shower etc, I forgot about it.

But as I did say in my post, this area in which I live doesn't lend itself to be a good environment to ride in, so many main roads to cross to get anywhere.
Once I can move down to my place in Albury, I'll be ok, nice wide streets, quite a few bike paths/trails, lowered town speed limits. I think in the town it'self the speed limit is 30kph.

And whilst cycling is a solo activity on it's own, it'd be nice to have a regular cycling friend to go out and share the joy, but they are super hard to come by, my Mrs refuses to go out cycling with me even if I offer to buy her a brand new bike, she doesn't want anything to do with them even though she comes from one of the most Cycle friendly Countries in the world (Japan) she considers a bicycle is only transport to do some messages that take too long to walk and that's it and that Bicycles are only for poor people. Over the many years I've pleaded for her to give it a shot but nope...she steadfastly refuses. She's too much a homebody.

Meanwhile, I'll just keep kicking myself up the backside and get out on the bike in between downpours.

brumby33

That's good then. Now keep it up and stop looking for excuses. :mrgreen:

Foo
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:17 am

Retrobyte wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:20 am
Retrobyte wrote:

Slowly does it at first and then improvement will keep coming along each week. :)

Foo
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:17 pm

Found out today that one of my mates here has prostate cancer and on the scale of 1-10 he is a 9. :( It has found it's way into three of his lymph nodes so there is no point in taking it out so he's been told. He has three chemo courses to see how the cancer reacts to that.

He was a top AFL player back in his day and has remained fit till about 3yrs ago till he got problems with an irregular heart beat and was stopped from riding with any intensity. :(
Hideous mongrel disease! :evil:

Yet the mongrel Government and many Drs will tell you that every 2yrs for the PSA test is all that is recommended! :x Well to that I say stick it where the sun don't shine because a lot can change in that extra 1yr and something that I argued with one of the Drs that that I saw when mine started giving me grief. :roll: I got that blood test and mine had near doubled in that past year but after the biopsy it was found that the area wasn't a bad spot and I still don't know the cause of the problem and my test level is back down in the happy area.

Don't let some fool tell you that every 2yrs is all that is required for testing, do it evry 1yr and start from the age of 40yrs. :idea: His Dr was only going to watch and see but he insisted on the MRI scan and bingo, he's in a lot of trouble now. :cry:

Foo
Goal 6000km

Tim

Postby Tim » Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:55 pm

foo on patrol wrote: Yet the mongrel Government and many Drs will tell you that every 2yrs for the PSA test is all that is recommended! :x
Every year for me since about 40. I turn 60 very, very soon. No dramas so far, everything normal but prostate cancer finished off my father. Just like your mate they picked it up too late. All over within 6 months of diagnosis.
I don't mess around when it comes to annual check-ups and screening.
In it for the long haul, I hope. :)
My doctor's parting words to me this time last year: "the body's in fine shape. It's what goes on behind the eyeballs we need to watch. See you in 12 months." :D

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:26 pm

^^^That's exactly right!^^^

Foo
Goal 6000km

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:58 pm

It's been 5 years post op for me. I still have a PSA test annually just to make sure some cells haven't migrated to other parts.
A PSA test every year after 40 is a must but you also need to check your family history. For me my grandfather, uncle and father all had prostate cancer (it killed my uncle). I didn't find out about this after my diagnosis because "it's not the sort of thing you talk about". So ask the question. Also, there is a possible link between breast cancer (BRCA2 gene has links to prostate cancer). My mother has breast cancer.
So it's highly probable that one of my boys will get prostate cancer but at least they know to have regular tests and that there are better treatments being developed.