RUOK?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
g-boaf

Re: RUOK?

Postby g-boaf » Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:03 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:47 am
g-boaf wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:46 am
The screws in my femur are getting annoying. Certain times I can feel them, and it makes riding annoying at times, particularly getting started. It’s not enjoyable anymore doing outdoor riding in that state.

I think I’ll be using Zwift only for now - I can stop if I need to and not be out somewhere far from home. Shame but that’s how it is. My body just isn’t what it used to be.
:(
Do the screws come out at some point? Can they?
I hope so, they are getting irritating sometimes.

I tried some adjustments with saddle position, moving it further back. I tried that this afternoon if it feels a bit better, but it was only just quick checking and doing little short circuits.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:56 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:03 pm

I tried some adjustments with saddle position, moving it further back. I tried that this afternoon if it feels a bit better, but it was only just quick checking and doing little short circuits.
Maybe talk to your Dr and let him/her know the screws are causing pain whilst riding. They will know or find out if they can be removed I expect. Hopefully they can :)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:13 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:56 pm
g-boaf wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:03 pm

Maybe talk to your Dr and let him/her know the screws are causing pain whilst riding. They will know or find out if they can be removed I expect. Hopefully they can :)

Yep, what Warty suggested. :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:06 pm

I will schedule something - some more stretching has helped a bit.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:54 pm

i'm having a struggle stage with lower back and hip pain, along with very bad fatigue that compounds my poor sleep and jut leaves me so despondent with what I can do of a weekend. :(

Bring on next year, when I will be retired = loose 30kgs, get fit again and climb to the top of Masters 8 category and chase down more State medals and a first National medal on the Track. :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:18 pm

foo on patrol wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:54 pm
i'm having a struggle stage with lower back and hip pain, along with very bad fatigue that compounds my poor sleep and jut leaves me so despondent with what I can do of a weekend. :(

Bring on next year, when I will be retired = loose 30kgs, get fit again and climb to the top of Masters 8 category and chase down more State medals and a first National medal on the Track. :mrgreen:

Foo
Good to have a goal Foo. I hope your back and hip pain resolves.
Jealous about retirement. 9 years to go if I last that long.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:30 pm

foo on patrol wrote:

Foo
Good luck on that next year. I've gone through the poor sleep thing as well - it leaves you feeling like a wreck.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:48 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:18 pm
foo on patrol wrote:

Foo
Good to have a goal Foo. I hope your back and hip pain resolves.
Jealous about retirement. 9 years to go if I last that long.

No being thrown around in the truck on our pathetic roads and getting some therapy done on it and plenty of recovery time will help greatly. Then there is the 25-30kgs that I plan on losing as well, so my life should turn around for the better. :)

Foo
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:51 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:30 pm
foo on patrol wrote:

Foo
Good luck on that next year. I've gone through the poor sleep thing as well - it leaves you feeling like a wreck.

I haven't had a good night of sleep in 30+yrs, so that will be one of the main objectives to fix also. I've never experienced fatigue and mental exhaustion like I have in the last 2.5yrs before and it is just soul destroying. :(

Foo
Goal 6000km

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:23 am

foo on patrol wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:51 pm
g-boaf wrote:
foo on patrol wrote:

Foo

I haven't had a good night of sleep in 30+yrs, so that will be one of the main objectives to fix also. I've never experienced fatigue and mental exhaustion like I have in the last 2.5yrs before and it is just soul destroying. :(

Foo
One of the things I use is the sleep monitoring on my watch and phone (Apple Watch and iPhone). I know you have a different situation to me, but purposely reminding yourself at a particular time of evening that it’s time to wind down and prepare for getting to bed and avoid distractions helps me. Then at 9:30pm, that’s it, I go to bed unless something unusual prevents it. The watch and phone will track your sleep and reports pretty well on how much proper sleep you are getting, for example, deep sleep, light sleep. This can be very useful.

In order to not get distractions, you have the focus modes, including sleep mode which you can auto enable on a timer.

Other things I do is have black out curtains (from IKEA) to stop any light getting in from outside (an old trick) and anything that has a light on it (TVs, electronics etc) gets turned off or the light covered over. That seems to also help - keeping everything totally blacked out.

I also keep the room at a comfortable temperature to avoid waking up overheated.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:19 am

g-boaf wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:23 am
foo on patrol wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:51 pm
g-boaf wrote:

Foo
One of the things I use is the sleep monitoring on my watch and phone (Apple Watch and iPhone). I know you have a different situation to me, but purposely reminding yourself at a particular time of evening that it’s time to wind down and prepare for getting to bed and avoid distractions helps me. Then at 9:30pm, that’s it, I go to bed unless something unusual prevents it. The watch and phone will track your sleep and reports pretty well on how much proper sleep you are getting, for example, deep sleep, light sleep. This can be very useful.

In order to not get distractions, you have the focus modes, including sleep mode which you can auto enable on a timer.

Other things I do is have black out curtains (from IKEA) to stop any light getting in from outside (an old trick) and anything that has a light on it (TVs, electronics etc) gets turned off or the light covered over. That seems to also help - keeping everything totally blacked out.

I also keep the room at a comfortable temperature to avoid waking up overheated.

I've done over half a dozen sleep studies and every one of them has the same outcome = I wake up as soon as I hit the deep sleep cycle, so there is no recovery in my sleep. I also sleep for only 30-90min at a time, no matter how tied or fatigued I am. I do the dark room and temp at a nice low level but nothing makes any difference.

Foo
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:39 pm

If you doubt the how important the RUOK sections are, I got a message from a friend thanking me and saying how important it is for letting people know how you're going with your head space. :idea:

After reading my post on my FB page, he contacted me saying that he had just been notified of a young family member having commited suicide. :cry: Nobody knew that they were struggling with mental health issues, which is so sad.

Foo
Goal 6000km

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:44 pm

foo on patrol wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:39 pm
If you doubt the how important the RUOK sections are, I got a message from a friend thanking me and saying how important it is for letting people know how you're going with your head space. :idea:

After reading my post on my FB page, he contacted me saying that he had just been notified of a young family member having commited suicide. :cry: Nobody knew that they were struggling with mental health issues, which is so sad.

Foo
That’s so correct. Some reckon it’s all left wing greenie snowflake nonsense but that act of checking in on people might be the thing that helps somebody going through a tough time.

Meanwhile I’m running hot and cold, aches and pains. Think I have a flu. I’m rugged up like it’s winter although temps are anything but.

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:43 am

Um difficult topic and I am in no way pulling anyone up for the use of it but can we as a group try and avoid the use of "committed" and thus that a crime has taken place.

Have seen in several parts of the world where someone who has taken their own life and is a (and must be such a major sin? ) so can only be buried outside the fence(s) of the religious parts of a cemetery - this does nothing to help improve or explain the issue including the grief of the associated family.

See
https://www.thesaurus.com/e/ways-to-say ... t-suicide/

Because suicide is usually seen as a deliberate act, many feel that it’s logical to describe it as something a person commits (i.e., “does, performs, perpetrates”). The issue, though, is that when we use the word commit to describe suicide, it implies that a choice was made in the same way that one might choose to commit a crime or a sin. However, those who die by suicide usually do not feel as though they have a choice.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:03 pm

baabaa wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:43 am
Um difficult topic and I am in no way pulling anyone up for the use of it but can we as a group try and avoid the use of "committed" and thus that a crime has taken place.

Have seen in several parts of the world where someone who has taken their own life and is a (and must be such a major sin? ) so can only be buried outside the fence(s) of the religious parts of a cemetery - this does nothing to help improve or explain the issue including the grief of the associated family.

See

Because suicide is usually seen as a deliberate act, many feel that it’s logical to describe it as something a person commits (i.e., “does, performs, perpetrates”). The issue, though, is that when we use the word commit to describe suicide, it implies that a choice was made in the same way that one might choose to commit a crime or a sin. However, those who die by suicide usually do not feel as though they have a choice.
So 'died by' is the way to go. That's logical. Words can matter. A good friend once had a go at me when I said my grandfather had died. "Passed, you mean, right?" No, he died. He didn't play football or cards. He died.

foo on patrol wrote:

Foo
I've had the chance to say a few key things privately to friends sons at their 18th birthdays recently. I suggested they have a look around at that point in time and remember who is here. If they feel they are having a hard time, start by calling anyone you've see here. And making sure one or two of their friends heard it and took note as well. It's gotta start somewhere, and it should be now.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:26 pm

familyguy wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:03 pm
baabaa wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:43 am

See

So 'died by' is the way to go. That's logical. Words can matter. A good friend once had a go at me when I said my grandfather had died. "Passed, you mean, right?" No, he died. He didn't play football or cards. He died.

foo on patrol wrote:

Foo
I've had the chance to say a few key things privately to friends sons at their 18th birthdays recently. I suggested they have a look around at that point in time and remember who is here. If they feel they are having a hard time, start by calling anyone you've see here. And making sure one or two of their friends heard it and took note as well. It's gotta start somewhere, and it should be now.

Yeah that bugs me also.

So true.

Foo
Goal 6000km

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:58 am

As the first post in this thread for the new year, i wish everyone well.

Wanted to share that cycling has usually been good for getting a better balance physically and mentally. I have been off the bike and even though I am doing a lot of physicsl activity (complete renovation), without the aerobic activity , the balance is missing. Part of making up for this is two legs (brisk walking) and head space and the natural endorphins are the positive results.

Also a thanks for this thread… in different phases and situations this can become more important. Keep the pisitive support active with family and friends and colleagues.
Cycling is in my BNA

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:27 am

The year that has just ended was one of the toughest ones both mentally and physically for me. 40klms on the bike :( and fatigue levels through the roof like I have never experienced in my life before. It was a soul destroying year for me because of not being able to ride like I wanted to but when you have severe fatigue, any exercise that you can do, compounds for the week ahead and for me being a truck driver, that was not a good thing.

What does the new year bring for me, well I've retired and will be back on the bike building towards Track racing again in the later part of this year and a target weight of 100Kg. Starting weight as of this morning is 112.7Kg. :oops:

Riding clears the head space and even my wife notices this, so that's my challenge for the up and coming year. I do need to get some issues sorted with my left arm and lower back so that I'm not like a cripple at times and that also leads to a better head space and much better inner contentment. :idea:

As AUbicycles said, this section is for helping people deal with issues and no judgement should be past on anyone one that is going through tuff times within themselves and even though we may not personally know you, it is still good to talk about issues and receive unbiased help from those that may have dealt with the same issues. :idea:

Stay safe all and talk about your health problems and not suffer alone. :)

Foo
Goal 6000km

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:01 am

Here's hoping your fatigue issues start to come good Foo. Slow re-introduction of cycling and a bit of consistency may help hopefully. I've never had it.
Diet is huge for weight loss as I guess you know.

Yep, cycling is all about head space for me. Took me a long time to work that out :oops: but I think I' ve got it now, finally. :)
Last edited by warthog1 on Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:35 am

foo on patrol wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:27 am
The year that has just ended was one of the toughest ones both mentally and physically for me. 40klms on the bike :( and fatigue levels through the roof like I have never experienced in my life before. It was a soul destroying year for me because of not being able to ride like I wanted to but when you have severe fatigue, any exercise that you can do, compounds for the week ahead and for me being a truck driver, that was not a good thing.

What does the new year bring for me, well I've retired and will be back on the bike building towards Track racing again in the later part of this year and a target weight of 100Kg. Starting weight as of this morning is 112.7Kg. :oops:

Riding clears the head space and even my wife notices this, so that's my challenge for the up and coming year. I do need to get some issues sorted with my left arm and lower back so that I'm not like a cripple at times and that also leads to a better head space and much better inner contentment. :idea:

As AUbicycles said, this section is for helping people deal with issues and no judgement should be past on anyone one that is going through tuff times within themselves and even though we may not personally know you, it is still good to talk about issues and receive unbiased help from those that may have dealt with the same issues. :idea:

Stay safe all and talk about your health problems and not suffer alone. :)

Foo
Happy New and new Beginnings Foo and everyone here.

It's not easy for any of us stuck behind the wheel for long hours of a heavy vehicle like a truck or bus as there's limited opportunities to move around, especially in a bus where your cargo loads itself and as well as unloads so not much chance to get out even to walk around the bus.
Apart from the lack of exercise, it's the mental toll it takes by constantly having to concentrate on what's going on around you all day so when you get home, you may not be physically tired but mentally tired to bother with anything else.

I have considered to do away with my heavy vehicle license (HC) and Public Passenger Authority card and just get a job where i can move around a bit and have no big responsibilty so i'm going to consider this in 2024. I'll be 64 in a weeks time so i'm wanting to wind down a bit and get back to what's important. HEALTH because without it.....you've got nothing.

I have lost some weight over the year but need to lose at least 12kg more as I've recently been diagnosed as diabetic so now I have to battle this but having to see yet another bloody specialist (endocronologist) in order to keep my heavy vehicle license going as well as passenger Authority. That's why I'm now looking at alternatives, I've been driving trucks and buses now since 1979.

I'm going to slowly change my diet more towards Veggies, even on the BBQ and less towards meat yet I have no intention on becoming a Vegetarian or vegan but am willing to try some alternate meals. I'm also wanting to eat more fish especially for it's Omega 3 values. I like to eat more fatty varieties of fish like large sardines, yellowtail, Mackeral and salmon but the Fresh sardines (which are great on the grill) are hard to get in their larger form. For steak, I buy cape Grim grass fed Tri-tip and 1 steak can feed 2 people with some left over for the next day's sanga. (wife prefers grain fed but i get to choose the steak)

OK, as for the bike...I'm going to get back to doing more riding this year, with the move a year ago to the Albury region, I ended up buying another motorcycle and that has taken much of my free time but now summer is here, I'm not keep on wearing sweaty hot jackets and Motorcycle protective pants so won't be doing much Summer riding till it cools down a bit so riding my Vivente which sits patiently in it's place in my Garage, it'll get an outing in the near future. I've recently had no inspiration and no motivation to ride anywhere as I don't have any friends here to ride with. I can't really take my bike in the car as it's not equipped to carry a bike and I'm really conscious that if I ride too far and can't get back, i'm stuck, it's not like I can put my bike on a train like I could in Sydney.

There are so many great rail trails within 100kms of Albury but am afraid to tackle them by myself concerned I'll be stranded if something went wrong. Not a great feeling after buying this particular bike 6 years ago with touring on my mind, now in my near mid 60's, I don't feel the wanting to venture too far. My fitness level is not great because of the lack of riding but I still don't feel the need for pedal assist, maybe it's being stubborn but not sure if I'm that decrepit yet.

Hope this year is good for all of us Foo....take care mate!!

cheers

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:54 am

Thanks Brumby, I was 114.2 on the day that I retired (23rd Dec) and I've lost near 2kg, so I have no doubt that I can achieve the first year goal of hitting 100kg. No ride as yet because of the weather here, so I will get on the spin bike for a while or setup my training bike on the Razor rollers. :mrgreen:

Foo
Goal 6000km

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:44 pm

brumby33 wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:35 am
There are so many great rail trails within 100kms of Albury but am afraid to tackle them by myself concerned I'll be stranded if something went wrong. Not a great feeling after buying this particular bike 6 years ago with touring on my mind, now in my near mid 60's, I don't feel the wanting to venture too far. My fitness level is not great because of the lack of riding but I still don't feel the need for pedal assist, maybe it's being stubborn but not sure if I'm that decrepit yet.
Using an e-bike is not a matter of being 'decrepit' really :) , more that it enables you to enjoy riding places you are not really enthused about anymore due to the effort required or worries about getting back home. I'm 65 and while I am no longer fit by my standards, I can still do 100k road rides at touring pace (25kph av) and ride all (well most :wink: ) of the hills around the Williams/Hunter area on a normal bike - given sufficiently low gears. But like you I look out sometimes and think 'Do I really want to push my body that hard today?' or something like that. A lightweight e-bike gives you confidence to do the harder/longer rides knowing you will not be crawling back totally knacked against a headwind/hill whatever. If the road's flat I don't engage the motor and when it is used then I pretty much never leave the lowest setting (ECO) - it isn't necessary.
Recently I have done a couple of multi-day 'gravel' rides. One from Muswellbrook, over the Barrington Tops and down to Dungog, the other from Canberra via Majors Creek to Moruya on the coast using the Lefty gravel e-bike. Averaging about 80k a day on dirt roads. Could probably have done it on my MTB but I would have been totally stuffed at the end of each day and probably not looking forward to the next. As it was, I still got a solid workout but I had the confidence I was going to make the accommodation at the end of each day in a fit state to enjoy a pint and my supper whilst still looking forward to the next day's ride. Picture below shows the bike at Ballimore on the Central West Trail earlier in 2023, another multi-day ride I doubt that I would have had the confidence to do (and enjoy) on my MTB.

So basically I suppose I'm saying that the extra assist gives me the motivation to go places and do things that, at my current fitness and age, I would hesitate to do due to slackness or lack of confidence - either of any enjoyment or of my fitness level.... :P

I have noticed that sometimes other riders on 'normal' bikes will try and guilt-trip you as 'cheating' or 'not real cycling'. Well stuff them, I'm the one enjoying my ride and I note these are rarely riders of a more senior age.

I reckon you should maybe consider a lightweight e-bike, it might give you the motivation to get out there.

Richard (90kg)
Cannondale Topstone Lefty Gravel e-bike (37lbs/16.8kg)

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:59 am

I would just say ride whatever you like that you feel comfortable with and that you enjoy, and keep doing so until it’s not enjoyable anymore.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:22 am

My view on leccy bikes is...........These bikes allow those that have physical or age related problems to get out into the fresh air and enjoy the country side and they also get people doing some exercise with being able too pedal on the flats. :idea:

I'm seeing a lot of older women on these bikes, getting out onto the BRVRT and I'm guessing the Gold Coast one also and that, in it's self is a good thing! :)

Foo
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:00 am

Been retired now for 9wks, fatigue is still a problem but I do feel a bit more relaxed. Sleep, well that's another story isn't it because nothing much has changed there, other than trying Phenergan and a nasal spray before bed. Took delivery of a Garmin Venu Sq so that I could get some idea of what is going on throughout the night and well :shock: not that I'm really surprised at what the readings were. :| A long road ahead of me for this problem to be fixed but at least I don't have the pressure of needing too be somewhere all the time now. :)

Foo
Goal 6000km