40-50 km morning rides in Sydney

karlsson

40-50 km morning rides in Sydney

Postby karlsson » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:58 pm

Hi all,

I'll be moving to Sydney soon, probably Waterloo, Zetland, Rosebery - those neighborhoods. What are my options if I want (need) to ride 40-50 km in the morning before work. Are laps in Centennial park the only way to go (or laps in any other nearby park)? Any relatively quiet roads at 5-6 AM? Or perhaps I can use some busy road to ride to a quieter route with infrequent roundabouts and traffic lights? Or perhaps an early train ride to such a location (~20 mins or so)? Thanks

39x25

Re: 40-50 km morning rides in Sydney

Postby 39x25 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:38 am

Welcome to the Sydney Cycling scene. most of us start around 6am rides when roads are quiet and finish around 7.30am for coffee and off to work. No one takes the trains to a weekday ride.

3 common options from your starting location of Waterloo and the distance of 40-50kms

1. Eastern suburbs hills/beaches (loop to Rosebay/Heartbreak/Watson's Bay/ Gap/Bondi Beach/ Tamarama).. add hills/beaches to your distance requirements.
2. La Perouse + extras at CP will suit your location well. lots of beach detours to add if you don't want to do CP.

3. You can always pop over to the lower north shore around Mosman for some more hills.

There are always plenty of people/group doing any of these 3 loops early every morning with plenty of shop/club rides if thats your preference.

RCC
MC Velo
SCC
ESCC
SUVELO

are just some clubs/shops that operate in the area.

karlsson

Postby karlsson » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:40 pm

Thanks, that's very helpful. So, 5-6.30 AM is the time to beat the traffic and ride safely without too many distractions and interruptions (traffic lights)?

splash_dad

Postby splash_dad » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:55 am

If you want mainly a cyclepath route then I do Zetland to the City along Bourke St, City to the Bridge via Kent St, Bridge to Lane Cove via Miller St or West St then the Epping Road cyclepath, Lane Cove to Macquarie Park via Epping Road cyclepath, through North Ryde to Meadowbank on the road, Meadowbank to Bicentennial Park via cyclepath, Strathfield to Tempe via Cooks River cyclepath, Tempe to Airport to Zetland via Bourke St. 56km but lower average speed than laps at Centennial Park or road routes.

39x25

Postby 39x25 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:52 pm

karlsson wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:40 pm
Thanks, that's very helpful. So, 5-6.30 AM is the time to beat the traffic and ride safely without too many distractions and interruptions (traffic lights)?
Beat the traffic yes.. safely hopefully but never guarantees with Sydney drivers .. traffic lights? can't help you there. Run down to LaPerouse could be a crapshoot of stop start or end to end flow.