Audax, excelling in self isolation

cavebear2

Audax, excelling in self isolation

Postby cavebear2 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:48 pm

Audax single day rides without support (i.e. distances of between 200 and 400+ km) are now quite relevant in relation to the evolving global health situation. A single day ride as practiced by experienced endurance riders, where all food requirements and bike maintenance supplies are carried, with little/no contact with other people, fits the current advice for limiting group gatherings, person to person contact etc.

In summary, there's never been a better time to take part in AUDAX day brevets, once you get your head around the mental resilience required that is! :D

am50em

Re: Audax, excelling in self isolation

Postby am50em » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:12 pm

Not in Spain! Recreational cycling banned.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:23 am

I'm already registered for my 200km YRR ride this weekend. I'll be buggered if anyone tries to stop me.

This weekend is supposed to be the Fleche Opperman 24-hour ride, though I am giving that a miss because I am not quite up to that level of crazy. At this stage I am the only one doing the permanent. I decided on an early pre-sunrise start so that I can be half done the 200km by breakfast time, enjoy a nice quiet coffee in solitude then finish the rest and be back home for lunch.

There were 8 of us doing the ride the weekend just gone (in the rain), but I spent around 90% of the ride solo.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:04 am

queequeg wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:23 am
I'm already registered for my 200km YRR ride this weekend. I'll be buggered if anyone tries to stop me.

This weekend is supposed to be the Fleche Opperman 24-hour ride, though I am giving that a miss because I am not quite up to that level of crazy. At this stage I am the only one doing the permanent. I decided on an early pre-sunrise start so that I can be half done the 200km by breakfast time, enjoy a nice quiet coffee in solitude then finish the rest and be back home for lunch.

There were 8 of us doing the ride the weekend just gone (in the rain), but I spent around 90% of the ride solo.
Keep it up for the YRR - I've got 6 of them but can't see another year on the horizon for another. I'm doing a Petit Oppy of 250 km with a couple of like minded people. We only have to ride a maximum of 14 hours and sleep and eat the rest! :D

That's a Draconian measure taken in Spain - who thought it would be a good idea to ban recreational cycling???!!!

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:10 am

Sorry I can't do those distances without at least one bakery in the middle :(
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:16 pm

Calvin27 wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:10 am
Sorry I can't do those distances without at least one bakery in the middle :(
There's usually multiple bakeries on these routes. Some riders take it as a challenge to see how many they can visit and still make the time cut for getting their ride homologated! I take the opposite approach and see how far I can go before having to stop. The weekend just gone was an exception because it was Gravel 150km BA and I was doing it purely for fun and not as part of my awards. Just as well, because it was awful roads, lots of rain and wind, and worse was only one food stop in the middle of nowhere (Colo Riverside, a surprisingly great spot to go, now added to my list when out that way!). A couple of the guys found a place in Lower Portland near the Ferry. It pays to ask a local apparently, because I certainly have never recalled seeing anything. Just realised it's because the cafe is on the waterfront, and I literally ride straight past it coming off the ferry.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:19 pm

The challenge is when the ride is no longer "self isolation" and in worst case, requires hospitalisation where there may not be one available.

The above applies to all modes of transport.

It is about "flattening the curve". I'm not 100% sure enough is being done in Australia.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:14 pm

rolandp wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:19 pm
The challenge is when the ride is no longer "self isolation" and in worst case, requires hospitalisation where there may not be one available.

It is about "flattening the curve". I'm not 100% sure enough is being done in Australia.
I've seen Spain's argument that they have banned riding outside due to the risk of accident and needing a hospital. I find that rather amusing because they haven't asked people to stop driving, and that's the number one cause of trauma admissions to most hospitals worldwide (except maybe certain parts of the USA where it might be gunshot wounds).

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:54 am

I've ridden 279 brevets between 50 and 1230 kms and only had 3 accidents, 1 requiring hospitalisation. However I'm not drafting, racing or taking risks downhill and also avoiding built up areas and those with significant traffic volumes. This is easy to do in WA especially with our expanding PSP network and relatively quiet rural roads.

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:50 pm

I've ridden 150 brevets of 100-1200km and never had a crash. In the last four years I've mostly been riding permanents for YRR. I don't see any reason to suspend permanents, but Audax UK has done that apparently.

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:47 pm

hamishm wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:50 pm
I've ridden 150 brevets of 100-1200km and never had a crash. In the last four years I've mostly been riding permanents for YRR. I don't see any reason to suspend permanents, but Audax UK has done that apparently.
+1

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:51 am

You want self isolation riding? I've got that sorted in spades! :mrgreen: No-one rides that slow.

And after a decade I am still waiting forlornly for my first co-rider sitting down at the same table at the mid-ride coffee stop. :(
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:17 am

queequeg wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:14 pm
rolandp wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:19 pm

I've seen Spain's argument that they have banned riding outside due to the risk of accident and needing a hospital. I find that rather amusing because they haven't asked people to stop driving, and that's the number one cause of trauma admissions to most hospitals worldwide (except maybe certain parts of the USA where it might be gunshot wounds).
Errr…...Spain banned recreational riding. Riding to the shops is ok. Spain also banned recreational driving. Driving to the shops is ok. May as well be accurate. :)