Jim Soorley Bikeway bridge works

Emmy88

Jim Soorley Bikeway bridge works

Postby Emmy88 » Fri May 01, 2020 8:01 pm

Hi all,
I don't ride to often but went out to sandgate today, I get on the Bikeway our to sandgate off nudgee road, Hendra and there is a sign saying they are updating the bridge there for a month a little further down, does anyone know what the alternate route is instead? :!:

RobertL

Re: Jim Soorley Bikeway bridge works

Postby RobertL » Wed May 06, 2020 11:13 am

Emmy88 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 8:01 pm
Hi all,
I don't ride to often but went out to sandgate today, I get on the Bikeway our to sandgate off nudgee road, Hendra and there is a sign saying they are updating the bridge there for a month a little further down, does anyone know what the alternate route is instead? :!:
The alternative route that hey are proposing is along Nudgee Road, which is not appropriate for the huge number of newbies and families riding along there now.

There are a couple of suggested alternative routes. If you use FaceBook, I suggest checking out the Brisbane North BUG page or the Space4cyclingbne page. There has plenty of discussion on there, with people suggesting better routes through quieter streets.

They are also trying to put pressure onto the council to provide a better alternative while the path is closed.

Comedian

Re: Jim Soorley Bikeway bridge works

Postby Comedian » Wed May 06, 2020 12:19 pm

Emmy88 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 8:01 pm
Hi all,
The Brisbane North Bicycle User group are pushing very hard for a better alternative to be offered. I think for a good number of people who ride that path - they do so because they don't want to ride on the road. So, pushing them onto Nudgee road is really just the same as saying "we're going to cut this path completely for a couple of months". Clearly that's less than optimal and particularly poor at this time.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/nation ... 54pka.html