NSW: More cycleways, streets to shut, footpaths widened

g-boaf

Re: NSW: More cycleways, streets to shut, footpaths widened

Postby g-boaf » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:20 am

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/rid ... 55d9g.html

Fireworks over new cycleways, as expected.

New Get Clover! campaign in three, two, one...

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:19 pm

Transport Minister in NSW has warned people against using public transport because of the health risks:
As school return from Monday, Mr Constance urged people to consider commuting in different ways.

He said there was an “inherent risk” to travelling on public transport and said active transport, such as walking or cycling, could be a better option
That from SMH. Where does he suggest people ride? Cycling lanes and connected cycleways are still far and few between.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:40 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:20 am

That story is in our (Melbourne) corona feed. Nice.....

What's wrong with people up there? Are they all asymptomatic carriers who's only impairment is brain function?

tpcycle

Postby tpcycle » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:02 pm

g-boaf wrote:

That Phelps lady must be pretty precious to be outraged by Clover Moore's innocuous words.

hunch

Postby hunch » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:27 am

tpcycle wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:02 pm
g-boaf wrote:

That Phelps lady must be pretty precious to be outraged by Clover Moore's innocuous words.
Karen - appropriately - has been keen to take over as Lord Mayor, before and after the federal MP gig(along with Christine Forster for the Libs). She was pushing for bicycle registration a few years ago, to get a few headlines - and for that matter, Tony Abbott's sister was no friend to bikes either!

Bit weird the "road safety researcher" mentioned, fairly narrow focus and no expertise in bicycle matters it would seem......the UNSW cabal yet again. https://www.neura.edu.au/staff/dr-liz-de-rome/

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:31 pm

One of my clients is unhappy with the new bike lane on Sydney Park rd, the problem being is that it reduces the road going east to one lane at peak periods, where prior the parking (which has been removed) occupied the lane off peak, ie it was one lane outside of peak.

I'm thinking that a better implementation would be to retain 2 lanes heading east and reduce to 1 lane heading west as both streets that feed into Sydney Park rd are single lane anyway where the easterly direction receives 2 lanes from the princess hwy
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:08 am

Someone in the SMH is unhappy with these news lanes, that are of course only ever the fault of Clover Moore, not the always innocent government:

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/car ... 55edt.html

If she wants to talk about “non-paying”, then fine, let’s pay. I’ll dig out $200 like the rest of you and we will pay for right to have safe cycling infrastructure through that area. And it will also pay for the right for her not to complain anymore. :roll:

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:42 am

g-boaf wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:08 am
Someone in the SMH is unhappy with these news lanes, that are of course only ever the fault of Clover Moore, not the always innocent government:

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/car ... 55edt.html

If she wants to talk about “non-paying”, then fine, let’s pay. I’ll dig out $200 like the rest of you and we will pay for right to have safe cycling infrastructure through that area. And it will also pay for the right for her not to complain anymore. :roll:
118 people currently get to use public property for their private purpose as "valuable parking". Of course they are upset that many times that number can safely get from one place to another.

She or he is also irony impaired in that they simultaneously complain about cyclists on "our pedestrian pavements" despite the people providing one of the services to residents they complain about being lost and that its an argument for more separated cycling facilities, not less.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:51 am

Even though Clover Moore isn't in charge of the Council I reside, I applause her efforts on bicycle facilities, even though she got railroaded by Duncan Gaye a few years back when he tore up Millions of dollars of bikeway in College st City.

I'm actually surprised by Andrew Constance's stand on this, I'm not a fan of his by any means especially after he's pursued the Privatisation of Government run Bus services in Sydney and Newcastle, I got caught up in all that and within 2 years from now, there'll be no such thing as a Government bus. I'm also surprised that even he and Gladys has been telling people not to catch public Transport, that he hasn't actually cut services even though many buses are having to stop so they don't run early, even express services, must be costing the State heaps but at least I'm still in a Job.
Cities are for People for it's people make the Cities for what they are and all people should be accommodated including Cyclists, peds and Public Transport workers.

Multi density living in the Modern Australia has many drawbacks as well as benefits, one of the major Drawbacks is the cost of Living in places like Sydney and Melbourne, cost of rentals and buying is huge and is why you get so many sharing a residence to cut costs but that in itself a problem especially if say a 3 brm apartment has only 1 Garage and 3 separate occupants own a car so where are the other 2 cars going to park? On the street, just about every street in Sydney is chockas with parked residents cars and some of those streets especially those in really old areas of Sydney Metro like Darlinghurst or Belevue Hill and Randwick, public transport have difficulties at times getting through some of those narrow thoroughfares due to parked cars so bicycle Lanes have no chance of being placed. Although many of these streets I speak of are not major thoroughfares but some are especially in Suburbs such as Balmain and Rozelle.

Councils all over have allowed this to happen without many restrictions and provide permits for residents but I think perhaps in the Future Councils may have to have stricter controls of car ownership in high density areas. Just like most Council areas in Japan, if you don't have a registered car space, you're not permitted to buy a car and you have to prove that you have a registered carspace first and no-one with a car can visit you unless you have somewhere to park your car. It's why Japanese Public Transport is usually the preferred method of travel. My wife is Japanese and her Mum has never held a drivers licence even though she had worked all her life, she either caught the bus or train or ride her Mommachari Bicycle. At 80 yrs of age, she still walks down to the supermarket every afternoon to buy her fresh groceries for dinner.

Cheers

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:31 am

Many years a ago Marrickville council set a rule that housing developments required 2 parking spots per residence, there was one complex built in Summerhill to that regulation. Then the State Govt specified that the developments only required 1 parking spot per residence. I now see that they are going to build a block of units above the new Redfern train station that only has 0.3 parking spots per unit.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:57 am

brumby33 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:51 am

Multi density living in the Modern Australia has many drawbacks as well as benefits, one of the major Drawbacks is the cost of Living in places like Sydney and Melbourne, cost of rentals and buying is huge and is why you get so many sharing a residence to cut costs but that in itself a problem especially if say a 3 brm apartment has only 1 Garage and 3 separate occupants own a car so where are the other 2 cars going to park?
I grew up in Melbourne. Lived there the first 20 years of my life.
Haven't lived there for 30 now.
There are costs in noise, crowding and congestion too.
This leads to increased commute and travel times.
If your job will let you it really is a major lifestyle improvement to get out.
A financial one too, particularly if you got into the housing market.
I didn't before I left, that is my only regret.
Were I to want to move back I am now priced out.
Honestly though I couldn't imagine ever wanting to. :|
Dogs are the best people :wink:

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:27 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:31 am
Many years a ago Marrickville council set a rule that housing developments required 2 parking spots per residence, there was one complex built in Summerhill to that regulation. Then the State Govt specified that the developments only required 1 parking spot per residence. I now see that they are going to build a block of units above the new Redfern train station that only has 0.3 parking spots per unit.
I think though that Redfern is perfectly placed to even have no parking for cars really, only 1 rail station from Central, lots of buses to City and to Mascot and beyond and super easy to Cycle everywhere. I feel more at ease cycling around near Redfern than I do in the Beverly Hills area of St George area.

If I could afford to live in Redfern, I would definitely sell my car and just rent one if I really needed it.

brumby33

VWR Patagonia 2017

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:48 pm

brumby33 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:27 pm
mikesbytes wrote:
I think though that Redfern is perfectly placed to even have no parking for cars really, only 1 rail station from Central, lots of buses to City and to Mascot and beyond and super easy to Cycle everywhere. I feel more at ease cycling around near Redfern than I do in the Beverly Hills area of St George area.

If I could afford to live in Redfern, I would definitely sell my car and just rent one if I really needed it.

brumby33
They did a calculation that 30% of trips would be in private vehicles and hence why only 30% parking. Problem with that is one doesn't share the cars, so there needs to be a lot more cars than 30%. Good luck on finding a parking spot near that one, once its finished. And any proposal that requires a reduction in parking will be vigorously rejected by the local residents

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:50 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:48 pm
brumby33 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:27 pm
mikesbytes wrote:

brumby33
They did a calculation that 30% of trips would be in private vehicles and hence why only 30% parking. Problem with that is one doesn't share the cars, so there needs to be a lot more cars than 30%. Good luck on finding a parking spot near that one, once its finished. And any proposal that requires a reduction in parking will be vigorously rejected by the local residents
Yeah Mikesbytes but today, would you actually use one of those share car schemes with this Covid thing going round?

How many times do they get cleaned or sterilized? I've often heard by some other that they are often quite dirty....don't know if I'd want to chance it, at least from a rental car hire, they are cleaned every time they come in. eg: Hertz,Avis, Budget and no birds etc. And Uber or Taxi is often more cost and time efficient.

brumby33

VWR Patagonia 2017

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:15 pm

brumby33 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:50 pm
Yeah Mikesbytes but today, would you actually use one of those share car schemes with this Covid thing going round?

How many times do they get cleaned or sterilized? I've often heard by some other that they are often quite dirty....don't know if I'd want to chance it, at least from a rental car hire, they are cleaned every time they come in. eg: Hertz,Avis, Budget and no birds etc. And Uber or Taxi is often more cost and time efficient.

brumby33
Good point about the share cares and the endemic

39x25

Postby 39x25 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:07 pm

Went via two of these two new cycleways for this morning's ride.
First was Sydney Park Rd, it was disappointingly only between King St and Mitchell St (already the widest and safest part).. leaves the more dicey bit between Mitchel and Euston without any paths. This really should be joined up to Bourke .

Also went via Moore Park Rd .. its between Cook Rd and Driver Ave.. nice to have it all the way there but needs some cleaning by sweepers. Also misses the last bit between Driver and Anzac pde where it is the tightest and relies on the shared footpath with roots and poles to dodge.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:00 pm

39x25 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:07 pm
First was Sydney Park Rd, it was disappointingly only between King St and Mitchell St (already the widest and safest part).. leaves the more dicey bit between Mitchel and Euston without any paths. This really should be joined up to Bourke .

Also went via Moore Park Rd .. its between Cook Rd and Driver Ave.. nice to have it all the way there but needs some cleaning by sweepers. Also misses the last bit between Driver and Anzac pde where it is the tightest and relies on the shared footpath with roots and poles to dodge.
Moreover, it was the section of Moore Park Rd before Cook Rd that a cyclist was killed. Seems no lessons were learnt.

39x25

Postby 39x25 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:09 pm

biker jk wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:00 pm
39x25 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:07 pm

Moreover, it was the section of Moore Park Rd before Cook Rd that a cyclist was killed. Seems no lessons were learnt.
Good point.. forgot about that incident.

Also drove down Pyrmont bridge road east bound today. Starting to setup the temp barriers on either side. Some bits setup.. some not yet.
So far only From Glebe Pt Rd to the TAFE.. nothing to the fishmarket.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:48 am

I see they have started on a cycleway on Anzac Pde between Kingsford and Maroubra junction. No idea what the overall plan is. I recall there was resistance from the council on new cycleways within their area, perhaps the last council election has put more a more positive attitude within the area, however I think this is a state imitative.

Anyone know the details?

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:19 am

^^ Might be this link of new 2.8km bi-di cycleway from council website.

https://www.randwick.nsw.gov.au/plannin ... provements

And from transportnsw project info.
https://roads-waterways.transport.nsw.g ... index.html
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:09 pm

Thanks Bunged Knee, so what I saw is the works to cross Anzac Pde. And there I was thinking they were starting to build a bike path along Anzac Pde

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:23 am

There's a bit of a fight going on about new cycleways. Boils down to what public space is allocated to
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... t-nimbyism

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:57 am

mikesbytes wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:23 am
There's a bit of a fight going on about new cycleways. Boils down to what public space is allocated to
It’s looking like a lost cause. If you want to ride in peace, seems like you have to go overseas to do it.

I have a cycleway right in front of my place and it doesn’t cause me the difficulties some of these people whinge about.

Also remember I’m significantly LESS mobile than the elderly patrons of that club interviewed for that article. I’m much slower to get out of a car, I walk very much slower (with crutches) and I have one leg shorter than the other so I’m unbalanced.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:13 am

mikesbytes wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:23 am
I was intrigued about the little snippet in that Guardian report that:
In Sydney, a leading barrister has claimed the city’s pandemic pop-up cycleways are now “unlawful”.

So how does that Barrister come up with that conclusion? During the Pandemic, it was the State Government who insisted those bike lanes existed as well as from Clover Moore the SCC Lord Mayor, so how can they be unlawfull?

I'd like to know his reasoning.

There's also issues from another article about the ramp on the Northside of the Sydney Harbour Bridge and that the Mayor of North Sydney doesn't want that ramp built and perhaps an elevator be constructed instead, in some ways I agree but in peak times, waiting around for bikes going in/out of an elevator on both ends will end up with similar congestion. They have an elevator on the East side of the bridge to head south but bicycles arn't allowed on that side apparently, I got told to go back down and go on the West side of the Bridge to head back to the main CBD.
North Sydney Councillors have steadfastly disproved any bicycle infrastructure on the North Side.
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... cling-city
I think there is a lot of Nimbyism going on in some areas of the Sydney City region to satisfy their elitist residences, it's a city divided that's for sure.

VWR Patagonia 2017

hunch

Postby hunch » Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:51 pm

Interestingly part of the eastern CBD was blocked off yesterday for some sort of of car ad by the looks. Nobody seemed to be losing their mind, despite the extensive traffic jams.....imagine if a bike ride caused that instead - homicides! :lol: