Some questions about Gardiners creek trail?

Edward C.

Some questions about Gardiners creek trail?

Postby Edward C. » Sat May 09, 2020 12:45 pm

Hi everyone, I am a beginner cycles and just bought a road bike 2 weeks ago. I am looking for some bike trails from Nunawading area to city. The ones I find are Gardiners creek and Capital City trails, are there other good ones? Also is road bike suitable for some non asphalt road? Such as Gardiners trail where some parts are bush area?
Thanks.

Gee

Re: Some questions about Gardiners creek trail?

Postby Gee » Sat May 09, 2020 2:03 pm

Welcome Edward, mjght be worth asking a mod to move this to the Victoria forum, might get more views than the bike shed which has more maintenance style views

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Sat May 09, 2020 4:36 pm

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat May 09, 2020 9:37 pm

Edward C. wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 12:45 pm
Hi everyone, I am a beginner cycles and just bought a road bike 2 weeks ago. I am looking for some bike trails from Nunawading area to city. The ones I find are Gardiners creek and Capital City trails, are there other good ones? Also is road bike suitable for some non asphalt road? Such as Gardiners trail where some parts are bush area?
Thanks.
Hi Edward, I moved this to the Victoria sub forum & by quoting you, you should get a notification which will help you find it
Anything you can do, I can do slower

chriso_29er

Postby chriso_29er » Sun May 10, 2020 10:39 am

Should not have any issue with your road bike on all the main melbourne bike trails.
Its a nice big loop doing Eastern fwy (Koonong ck) back around using Gardners, Scotchmans ck, eastlink.
I cant think of the unsealed area on Gardners ck, the main trail is sealed, but I'm sure the surface will be fine. Same with some unsealed areas around jells park and further down the end of eastlink if you ever get down that way, no problem on my road bike.

Even the main unsealed rail trails not much further out in the Yarra Valley are fine for a road bike if you desire.

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Tue May 12, 2020 5:15 pm

Would agree in general that the gravel sections on Gardiners creek trail are fine on a road bike the section through Kalag and Furness Parks can be avoided by taking the quiet roads just to the south (except at school times) Be aware that not all pedestrians (or cyclists) are considerate and braking on gravel can be a bit more exciting

The section between Station St and Deakin Uni' is more compact and wider

Bushy Creek trail from the end of Springfield Rd is probably worth checking out as a way to get to the Koonung Creek trail....there is a bridge crossing the Moorandah Highway (avoid school times) between Railway rd and Surrey Rd which is useful

I use ridewithgps (basic is free) to work out routes as can use OSM (open street map) which shows quieter routes for cycling as well as trails

Guess may have good reason to be wanting to head citywards but a lot of good riding eastwards on traffic free trails and surprisingly not a lot of the Eastlink trail runs that close to it

enjoy