Froome moving on !

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Froome moving on !

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:17 pm

However... was this the goal? Could it be that he knew he would not get to that level but Team Israel could get interest from the big name rider ... who has a chance to keep active and see how he goes.

The Mark Cavendish return and 3-in-a-row sprint victories is a pretty good result for him.
Cycling is in my BNA

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:22 pm

AUbicycles wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:17 pm
However... was this the goal? Could it be that he knew he would not get to that level but Team Israel could get interest from the big name rider ... who has a chance to keep active and see how he goes.

The Mark Cavendish return and 3-in-a-row sprint victories is a pretty good result for him.
Is possible that Froome is there for other considerations, i.e. big name drawcard, mentoring and the off-chance of him pulling a win out of wherever..
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:30 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:22 pm
AUbicycles wrote:

Is possible that Froome is there for other considerations, i.e. big name drawcard, mentoring and the off-chance of him pulling a win out of wherever..
He doesn’t strike me at that character. He seems to have the belief he can do it, and I’m sure he’s more than putting in the effort

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:25 am

MichaelB wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:30 pm
10speedsemiracer wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:22 pm
AUbicycles wrote:

He doesn’t strike me at that character. He seems to have the belief he can do it, and I’m sure he’s more than putting in the effort
Would it be fair to call him delusional then? Not being snarky, but he doesn't seem to have an icecream's chance in hell of getting anywhere near top 20 let alone top of the podium. There's no doubt he's put in the yards, and can still race the pro-tour at some level....as opposed to me for instance.....but podium?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:11 am

But, he is also now saying he is not yet in form... so he does know where he is at. Can he get there? There is so much young talent and it is not getting easier.
Cycling is in my BNA

stevenaaus

Postby stevenaaus » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:29 am

Sorry, calling him delusional is just stupid. But obviously things aren't going to plan - 10th slowest on the short opening romanie TT.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:45 am

AUbicycles wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:11 am
But, he is also now saying he is not yet in form... so he does know where he is at. Can he get there? There is so much young talent and it is not getting easier.
The signs appear to be showing that he can't. And I guess there will be a juncture where he may realise that, but I guess that he will seem to keep trying until he is sure.

Doesn't look good though.

As a yardstick, Gesink also suffered a fractured femur (not anywhere near as bad) and now he is a great dom, but that's it. He was GT podium material before, but not anymore.

Sad, but you never know.

AndrewCowley

Postby AndrewCowley » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:00 pm

I'd say he's toast. No way you sand bag every lead up race in the lead up to the TdF. Unless he and the team have cooked up some sort of previously unseen strategy, which I doubt. Time and injuries have caught up with him.

lone rider

Postby lone rider » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:11 pm

The guy has won plenty of races so obviously knows what he is doing in terms of training and a month ago Sylvan Adams was still talking about a TDF win. But anybody who has raced at any level knows you cant just do endurance/base training riding and expect to do anything in races. Maybe he is doing these race efforts indoors but the current next gen of GT winners, Pog, Remco are all better riders than who Chris has beaten in the past. Even at his best, its doubtful he would win another one against the new breed. I dont think the injury is the biggest issue, the quality of racing has lifted too far for him as a 35 year old.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:34 pm

I hear you.... but do you think he’s got what it takes to win another grand tour?

:D
Cycling is in my BNA

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:33 am

stevenaaus wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:29 am
Sorry, calling him delusional is just stupid. But obviously things aren't going to plan - 10th slowest on the short opening romanie TT.
Yes, beaten once again by TJ Van Garderen (my gold standard of delusion)

If he's not delusional then he's a liar.

He's been talking up his chances since returning last year for Sky/Ineos

February

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/chris- ... -uae-tour/
"Hey everyone," Froome said in a recorded video message. "Training has been going really well. I'm here in Gran Canaria and I'm really happy to announce that I'll be starting my season at the UAE Tour, next month, starting in Dubai...……….In another video released by his team earlier this month, Froome confirmed that the Tour de France was his main focus.

"The only appointment I've set myself is Tour de France, and until then every week I'm just going to keep chipping away, keep trying to make the most of every camp, every race, building up to July and hope that, come that start line in Nice in July, I'll be ready to go," Froome said.
April

https://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme-sur-rou ... 00/1130157
Le quadruple vainqueur du Tour de France estime que ses graves blessures lors du Dauphiné l'an passé sont derrière lui et qu'il pourra ainsi viser un cinquième sacre sur la Grande Boucle à partir du 29 août prochain.
April

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/chris- ... ne-target/
Four-time Tour de France winner Chris Froome (Team Ineos) has welcomed the news of the revised calendar dates announced by the UCI and Tour de France organisers ASO.
Speaking to Cyclingnews on Wednesday afternoon, the British rider said that a September Tour de France would remain his main goal, with the World Championships also a target.
"Looking at the potential dates set by the UCI, the Tour de France would be my number one target," Froome told Cyclingnews.
"Beyond that, I would hope to do the UCI Worlds, providing it doesn't clash with the Tour de France."
June

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/chris- ... t-beckons/
Froome’s position at Team Ineos looked uncertain ahead of the Tour, with Egan Bernal and Geraint Thomas also looking to lead the team. Froome, 35, has not raced a Grand Tour since 2018 and is coming back from a long injury lay-off after crashing at the 2019 Critérium du Dauphiné but he has told the media several times that he is fit and ready to aim for a fifth and record-equaling Tour de France title.

A slow response from Team Ineos when it came to contract talks opened the door for other teams to approach Froome, but at a recent training in Isola, France, the team assured Froome that he would form part of their strategy at the Tour de France, with a three-pronged leadership challenge.
And so on...…One day it's "I'm super", the next it's "I'm gaining form". Early 2020 saw him claiming he needed race miles and conditioning, early 2021 saw him in Cali working on leg strength.

The plan well may heave been to win that 5th and 6th TdF, but (in hindsight, admittedly) there was no way it was going to happen. He has managed to get back to some sort of WT form, but at a Div 2 level. I don't think he's even at good Dom level tbh. Maybe as a mentor, but there's never been any sign of him wanting to do that. Good luck to the fella, he's on a good deal and living the life.

June 2019
DernyDriver wrote: I have it from a reliable source (a family member) that the femur injury is so bad that it will take 18 months to rehabilitate, and after that he will not be able to ride competitively again. His career is over.

You heard it first here, on BNA :D

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:13 pm

And lost another 3:32 on a semi-hilly day with 2,200m of climbing on a small cct.

Agree F&O - 'nuther TdF or any real win is just not gonna happen. Wonder when the realisation will finally sink in :?:

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:04 pm

The young fella, Connie Carpenters son whose name escapes me went through similar, found himself some peace after a few years.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sun May 02, 2021 8:14 am

Latest article now starting to dig into the “other excuse” wardrobe of finally admitting it ain’t gonna work.

It’s because he’s carrying 2-3kg of extra upper muscle mass ....

:roll:

Lost another 33+ minutes in St4 of Romandie, mind you it was an absolutely filthy day to be on the bike !

lone rider

Postby lone rider » Sun May 02, 2021 8:08 pm

Conditions were shocking but he was dropped very early, over 50k's to go in a 160k stage. He has regressed further from last year, he wasnt this bad at the Vuelta. His position on the bike when climbing looks unfamiliar to me, he had such an distinctive style. Its not uncommon to read stories of people trying to correct power balance between both legs and end up losing overall power and it seems from everything he has said recently that his leg balance has been his focus. He's lost his way and taking a lot money for it.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon May 03, 2021 6:53 am

New report that he had a chest thing. Not saying he did or didn’t myself (I am not saying anything) but in context, there are a lot of other riders I am enjoying watching as a spectator.
Cycling is in my BNA

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Mon May 03, 2021 7:00 am

MichaelB wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 8:14 am
Latest article now starting to dig into the “other excuse” wardrobe of finally admitting it ain’t gonna work.

It’s because he’s carrying 2-3kg of extra upper muscle mass ....

:roll:

Lost another 33+ minutes in St4 of Romandie, mind you it was an absolutely filthy day to be on the bike !
Hey, losing that linebacker look was the key to Armstrong's transformation and 7x TdF's!! :lol:

To be fair, while there's no doubt Froome has been talking up his prospects since the accident, the reporting goes a long way in pushing his case as well. Cycling News will always be a lot more upbeat/positive than say Velonews. Have a look at this

https://www.velonews.com/news/road/comm ... -comeback/

The author had called it back in February. Of course, the opposite applies and Velo were talking up TJVG non stop, year after year until even TJ called it. :lol:

On another subject, did Porte work hard for Thomas on stg 5 of Romandie? If so I wonder (and I'll put a few bucks on him) if the reversion to "super dom" has taken off enough pressure to see him as a realistic dark horse come TdF?

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon May 03, 2021 8:41 am

AUbicycles wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 6:53 am
New report that he had a chest thing. Not saying he did or didn’t myself (I am not saying anything) but in context, there are a lot of other riders I am enjoying watching as a spectator.
You would think that if he was sick, he'd abandon and get better ? makes no sense coming in near enough to stone motherless last when you are sick is completely pointless :?: :?: :?:

Couldn't see all of the Velonews article as not a member, but i think despite Froome's obvious hard work and perfect attitude, he's just no longer competitive. Hell, he probably wouldn't even make the cut in a Conti team.

And really have to wonder whether his place in the team is hindering the rest (such as Michael Woods), as he can't do much.

Much like Valentino Rossi finishing 17th at Jerez - what's the point ?

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon May 31, 2021 8:30 am

How's this for an idea of a competition ?

How many stages will it take for Froome to lose heaps of time at the Dauphine ?

Finished 75th in the bunch today, so it's not Stage 1.

Theres a short climb before the finish on Stage 2, so will it bea early, or will it be the Stage 4 ITT, or Stages 5, 6 or 7 when they get some steeper hills ?

BTW, rode up La Plagne when we were in France in 2016 - damn that was a solid climb !!

am50em

Postby am50em » Mon May 31, 2021 8:44 am

Lets just watch and see how he does.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:23 pm

It was badhezbolla all the time!!!! I knew he was only being held back by some dirty parasite!

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/froome ... wner-says/

Now, looking at the various excuses and reasons Froomay has been.....off the pace we'll say....it's obvious they're coming in a sort of reversal of how they were dealt with by Sky to get him to the top. I guess that means next year he'll fall of his TT bike at the ramp? :lol:

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:04 pm

fat and old wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:23 pm
It was badhezbolla all the time!!!! I knew he was only being held back by some dirty parasite!

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/froome ... wner-says/

Now, looking at the various excuses and reasons Froomay has been.....off the pace we'll say....it's obvious they're coming in a sort of reversal of how they were dealt with by Sky to get him to the top. I guess that means next year he'll fall of his TT bike at the ramp? :lol:
It made me laugh.

So if that's why he was bad at the TdF, what's the excuse for the other races ?

stevenaaus

Postby stevenaaus » Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:49 pm

Thoughtful reflections on gravel stages and time trialing in grand tours.
https://youtu.be/CnJ48P46qWU?t=289

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:17 am

So Froomey's 2nd race in 2022 (Tour of Alps) and looks like it's slow going still.

He's at the Tour of Alps, and so far sitting 57th (or thereabouts) after 3 stages and has lost over 21 minutes to the leader.

The Settimana Internazionale Coppi e Bartali wasn't much better, finishing 106th and 1:16:09 behind.

Still amazed that he even bothers riding and wonder waht the motivation is as it must be bloody demoralising having been that good to now being almost tailend charlie regularly.

Hmmmm

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:54 pm

It’s a weird thing… I feel his role is team captain and guiding the others … but to contradict myself, as a rider and TDF winner he would benefit from his team but still seemed to be a type of individual / solo character and it is hard to look through the window and see what his role and his goals are.

Don’t forget, it is early in the season and I feel some riders are peaking early for the classics and others are building up still.
Cycling is in my BNA