Feeling Old and Decrepit

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Retrobyte

Re: Feeling Old and Decrepit

Postby Retrobyte » Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:56 pm

I'm 60yo and play in a lower grade cricket team with my teenage son and a few other dads and their teen/twentysomething sons. Batted for two hours yesterday and can hardly walk today - I feel far better after an 80km ride than this. I think the stop/start nature of running between the wickets is the difference, plus the weight bearing aspect, compared to the steady rhythm of riding. Shows how good riding is for fitness compared to some other forms of exericise.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:59 pm

brumby33 wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:28 pm
I'm in the process of looking at moving away from Sydney, hopefully around the Gold Coast.
Hard to believe you’ll find anything affordable on the Gold Coast. I’m in the process of building at Caloundra because it was the only way to avoid getting gazumped. But building is a long slow process in this time of shortages - and not cheap either, but it should be worth a lot more than I’m paying when its finished.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:14 pm

LateStarter wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:50 pm
brumby33 wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:34 pm
.......I rode a couple of laps of Centennial park, Then I headed back to Central Station.

......was over taking me with no effort whatso-ever ...... if I'm game enough to order a Brooks B17 or the Brooks with the Springs at the back. Anyone have experience with those?
brumby33
I ride a bit in centennial Park, was there today too from mid-day till 3 ish. I get overtaken all the time by e-scooters and e-skateboards and inline skaters and most of the bikes except the toddlers on bikes who don't look like they are old enough to walk.

I have a B17 (imperial) that has about 2,000kms on it and I have put it in the "not-for-me bin" in the garage, happy to pass it over to you as I am not going to use it, we can meetup in centennial or near central , if it works for you then you have saved the first couple of hundred towards a e-bike in 10 or 20 years,,,

Great that you got out and about, now try for a few times a week...

PS, I posted this last week in another thread...

You might have to get Dr Google to translate
https://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr ... 47610.html
I love the B17 I have, the narrow ones not so much I have just replaced one of them with a B17 Imperial, with the cut out. Haven't ridden it enough to see how I go.

The reality is that Brooks work for some people and not others, at least that is what I have observed. It seems they don't work for LateStarter, might work well for you though.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:09 pm

DavidS wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:14 pm

The reality is that Brooks work for some people and not others, at least that is what I have observed. It seems they don't work for LateStarter, might work well for you though.
It's a bit more than just that, the saddle needs to match the bike. Or more specifically, the seatpost angle & amount of drop in the bars.

For my commute bike (which has relaxed "touring geometry") I use a B17 narrow (I think they call that the "team pro" or somesuch today). But that's most unsuitable for the "playing with the boys" bike which has lower bars and a steeper head tube (and I spend more time "on the nose") so a Swallow or Switft is what I need there.

Meanwhile, I don't have an omafiets (or anything with the seat set that far back and the bars that upright), so I've nothing that a B17 will work on - for my rear end and thighs.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:12 pm

RonK wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:59 pm
brumby33 wrote:
I'm in the process of looking at moving away from Sydney, hopefully around the Gold Coast.
Hard to believe you’ll find anything affordable on the Gold Coast. I’m in the process of building at Caloundra because it was the only way to avoid getting gazumped. But building is a long slow process in this time of shortages - and not cheap either, but it should be worth a lot more than I’m paying when its finished.
Hoping for a townhouse or something around Southport or Labrador area, failing that, pitch a tent on the best beach we can find :lol:
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

LateStarter

Postby LateStarter » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:37 am

brumby33 wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:12 pm
So you did 2,000kms on the B7 and couldn't make it work for you? I thought they were supposed mould into your backside and 2,000kms should've been well and truly enough time
Like many things today the Brooks aren't what they used to be but my B17 Imperial was good for a while, the cutout makes it fairly flexible right away but no moulding but ultimately was too wide for me and got uncomfortable after 100kms. Many people swear by them though, just PM me when you are sorted.
Bill (Long Distance Dreamer)
2008 Cannondale Touring 2, 2013 Vivente World Randonneur, 2015 Lynskey Sportive Disc

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:48 pm

brumby33 wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:12 pm
RonK wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:59 pm
brumby33 wrote:
Hoping for a townhouse or something around Southport or Labrador area, failing that, pitch a tent on the best beach we can find :lol:
I think townhouses will be pretty rare in those areas. You would probably have to go to the newer areas further out for that.
There are quite a few 1 and 2 bedroom units at sub-$400K prices listed on realestate.com though. Most will be older and may not have elevators.
Real estate madness is probably worse here than anywhere due to the high levels of migration, with lots of cashed up mexicans snapping up properties as soon as they are listed.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:29 pm

It might be time for me to take glasses with me when I go shopping. Walked into my local 99Bikes today to buy some bar tape for my commuter, and grabbed a basic black roll from "budget" brand BBB. Of course, the price sticker font is so small that I couldn't read the price - until the guy scanned it and told me that will be $55 :shock: :oops:

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:52 pm

^ BBB bar tape is quite good though.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:41 am

I haven't paid more than $5 or $6 for bar tape in many years, for my preference this stuff is better than Specialized branded tape at 10 times the price- https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/26550984706 ... BMxOWW8ZRh
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:35 pm

Retrobyte wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:29 pm
It might be time for me to take glasses with me when I go shopping. Walked into my local 99Bikes today to buy some bar tape for my commuter, and grabbed a basic black roll from "budget" brand BBB. Of course, the price sticker font is so small that I couldn't read the price - until the guy scanned it and told me that will be $55 :shock: :oops:
SRAM Red bar tape is about the nicest I've used - really nice stuff and seemed to last. Easy to wrap as well. Also a lovely unobtrusive/classy design.

https://www.bikebug.com/sram-red-bar-tape-p-69478.html

The black stuff is nice.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:21 pm

Burgh Silk bar tape here. Because I like spending money on luxuries, plus they're Tasmanian.

https://www.bikebug.com/burgh-silk-bar-tape.html

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:58 pm

Well it being a nice reasonably warm Winter's day here on the border (NSW-Vic) I had to secure some of the Bar tape that was hangin a bit loose and thought I'd go for a ride, so I did just under 20kms with average speed of 13kph and yep.....still old and decrepit :lol:

I was so exhausted with that hour and 20 minute ride I'm now beginning to wonder about keeping this Vivente Touring bike. I felt like chucking that Specialized seat as my rear end could not find any sweet spots.
I'm now thinking about any ideas of touring is now past my capabilities, wishing that my body was as fit as my brain thinks it is, seems to me there's a terrible lack of communication between the two, it's as if my brain and body are in 2 separate units.

No actually, considering that I haven't swung the leg over the bike in quite a few Months, I think I've used more energy to keep the tyres inflated than actual riding, I didn't go too bad and covered more distance than I thought I would. I drive local buses up here on a casual basis and often get to check out bike paths and often feel envious when I see groups out riding when i'm out working.

I have yet to meet any cafe latte bike groups in Albury yet, still trying to work and organise house renovations and jobs that need to be done, can't seem to force myself out there early in the morning now that it's rather fresh due to many of my warm clothes are still packed in boxes. I just wish that there was more play time and less work time. I'm starting to develop a fear now that when it comes time to down the tools and fully retire, that i'll be dead shortly after. at only 63, I'm feeling like age is really catching up coz there's always something to interupt the progress.

Truly sorry about writing my feelings on the forum, I guess people will either read or go onto next topic but at least I'll have something I've written down to maybe look back on my feelings of where I am at this point in time. I still live in hope that one day soon I can have time to really enjoy my hobbies and interests without having to worry about a work schedule. I've chosen this coming early December to fully hang up my 35 years driving buses and 43 years driving heavy vehicles, I will have my license reduced from HC down to Car and Motorcycle (which i also intend to get another of) so I won't be tempted to keep at it. Not having rent or mortgages to pay now has really taken the pressure off and will allow me to retire at 64. I can't wait but in the meantime I'm working on a way to leave home earlier and take my working clothes in a pannier, even if it's only 6kms each way...better than nothing.

Thankyou for reading.

regards

brumby 33

VWR Patagonia 2017

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:06 pm

How heavy is the touring bike?

Would something lighter be easier for the times when you want to ride - needing less effort.

I'm feeling off this weekend it must be said, very exhausted.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:14 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:06 pm
How heavy is the touring bike?

Would something lighter be easier for the times when you want to ride - needing less effort.

I'm feeling off this weekend it must be said, very exhausted.
By itself it's only 14kgs as it's a steel Vivente Frame, but with 2 ortleibs and a handlebar bag which is always on it to carry incidentals would probably weight an extra 4 kilos. I kind of prefer a heavy steed and don't really look for speed, it's more about my present endurance and comfort levels I think.

VWR Patagonia 2017

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:49 pm

You need to ride regularly to improve your fitness and feel better on the bike.
Shorter and slower at first and gradually increasing. No hurry, speed and distance is not important but enjoyment is.
That will come with regularity. I am not surprised your body protested after so long off the bike. It would be more surprising if it didn't.
Anyway if you make an effort to ride more regularly and keep it slow and easy you will end up doing it without feeling like crap and instead feel good. :)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:17 pm

I have had a rather variable 2 years myself. Due to work and family, I have not been riding very much. I used to ride on weekend with the Cycling Club, zipping around at 35km/h avg speed without giving it any thought.

2022/2023 has been pretty barren. I am trying to turn that around now and force myself to get outside and ride. As I am now WFH full time, all my commuting to work has gone, and that was responsible for giving me 10,000km of riding a year. As it turns out, it is also what gave me all my fitness! So, I am going to start commuting to the office a couple of days a week, then do a couple of days on the trainer at home, plus some outdoor rides. Then I can bring my Audax riding back in and start ramping up the distance again.

A big part of where I am now is just losing my mojo, feeling like I am starting back at square one. I turned 50 this week ans I determined not to let my fitness slide. I am already booked in for some big rides next year, including Peaks Falls Creek (due to cancellation of the event this year).

I have been slowly coming back into the riding, assisted by friends forcing me to come out and ride. I have been doing more gravel riding where it's quiet rather than battling with ever increasing Sydney traffic. As I am finding out, trying to do too much too soon and setting my expecations too high is just a disaster waiting to happen. I have started with the weight loss, and I am down 7.6kg in the last month, so we're off to a good start!

All I can say is to hang in there and just take baby steps.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:58 pm

queequeg wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:17 pm
I have had a rather variable 2 years myself. Due to work and family, I have not been riding very much. I used to ride on weekend with the Cycling Club, zipping around at 35km/h avg speed without giving it any thought.

2022/2023 has been pretty barren. I am trying to turn that around now and force myself to get outside and ride. As I am now WFH full time, all my commuting to work has gone, and that was responsible for giving me 10,000km of riding a year. As it turns out, it is also what gave me all my fitness! So, I am going to start commuting to the office a couple of days a week, then do a couple of days on the trainer at home, plus some outdoor rides. Then I can bring my Audax riding back in and start ramping up the distance again.

A big part of where I am now is just losing my mojo, feeling like I am starting back at square one. I turned 50 this week ans I determined not to let my fitness slide. I am already booked in for some big rides next year, including Peaks Falls Creek (due to cancellation of the event this year).

I have been slowly coming back into the riding, assisted by friends forcing me to come out and ride. I have been doing more gravel riding where it's quiet rather than battling with ever increasing Sydney traffic. As I am finding out, trying to do too much too soon and setting my expecations too high is just a disaster waiting to happen. I have started with the weight loss, and I am down 7.6kg in the last month, so we're off to a good start!

All I can say is to hang in there and just take baby steps.
Firstly queequeg (how did you come up with that user name?)

Happy 50th Birthday coming up, hope it's an important milestone for you.

Secondly it appears that you've competed in Cycling a lot and have many that you know around you that have that same interest, I've had none of that at all in my life due to 35 years of shiftwork, I know nobody except a mate I met at work because his wife, like mine is Japanese and he had done a lot of touring in his younger days, he is the same age as I am but a lot smaller set but he used to race Bianchi in his 20's. But he is now living with his family in Japan (something I'm also considering a couple of years down the track)

Apart from him, nobody i've ever worked with mostly in Sydney (worked in Gov Buses until privatisation started to show it's weaknesses) but yeah I've never really had a cycle buddy, nobody to plan trips with, I've joined a few BUGs back in around 2005 but nobody that I could gel with. No friends I've got have any interest in bicycles and that includes my wife, she only sees bicycles as a means of transportation and doing errands where it's too far to walk, not as a recreational thing so it's incredibly hard to rely on just myself for motivation, that I get from this forum group and the countless videos on YT.

It's always been that way, nobody can be bothered, so I can only rely on myself for motivation to explore. You think of all the people that ride bikes, I'd find at least 1 or 2 regular riding mates.....nope!! It'd be nice to be able to share the ride with someone.

I'm concerned about riding in a group at this stage due to my lack of fitness as I've done that before only to get left behind and to be left to my own devices. I'm easy to get on with but haven't been able to find a rapport with anyone who has that same interest.

Anyway, hope you're able to catch up on your fitness and get back to where you left off queebueg....good luck with it all.

cheers

brumby33

VWR Patagonia 2017

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:33 pm

I have worked rotating shift work for 21 years and still do.
I ride for the mental health aspect, though it took me about 15 years to work that out :oops:
I have tried meditation and failed. Other forms of unwinding don't clear the brain like cycling does. I just feel good afterwards and crap when I don't. So I do.
I am 54 and getting older and slower but I still enjoy it and more when there is little traffic. Gravel has been a good change up to keep the motivation.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:51 pm

You're not alone.

I have only recorded 44 hours of riding this year, building up from 2 in March, 3 in April and 9 in May. As a consequence my form has suffered dramatically. On the last day in May I perhaps foolishly attempted to ride to work (30km). The ride home was as tough as anything I've had to do in a long time. The worst bit for me being that the highest point of the ride is in the last km of the ride making it a long slow grind for most of the way.

It was only a few years ago that I was doing this every work day and occasionally taking the long (42km) way home just for variety.
I remain optimistic that if I bite the bullet and get out a bit more, that the commute will become a bit easier.

Cheers,

Cameron

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:17 pm

ironhanglider wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:51 pm
You're not alone.

I have only recorded 44 hours of riding this year, building up from 2 in March, 3 in April and 9 in May. As a consequence my form has suffered dramatically. On the last day in May I perhaps foolishly attempted to ride to work (30km). The ride home was as tough as anything I've had to do in a long time. The worst bit for me being that the highest point of the ride is in the last km of the ride making it a long slow grind for most of the way.

It was only a few years ago that I was doing this every work day and occasionally taking the long (42km) way home just for variety.
I remain optimistic that if I bite the bullet and get out a bit more, that the commute will become a bit easier.

Cheers,

Cameron
It's incredible Cameron that a bit of a lay off even though you were fitter than a mallee bull before, that everything in the ol body goes to jelly. 30kms is a decent commute let alone the additional 12kms going home.....I'd love to be at that level. I'm assuming that was on a light weight road bike?

This time last year I was around 107kgs, now around 102/3 but find it hard to get under that 100kg mark, my heaviest was 118kgs back in 2016 and I ended up in Hospital with cellulitis, that really took it's toll on me and just before Covid became a thing, got a total Hip replacement....best thing I ever did after 2 years of walking like a penquin. I'm determined that by the end of this year, I want to be down to 95kg, that's only a 7kg reduction

Good luck with it Cameron.

VWR Patagonia 2017

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:27 pm

brumby33 wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:58 pm
Truly sorry about writing my feelings on the forum

Glad you did, that's what we're here for.

I think it's less about your brain and body not communicating, more that they're not on the same page. An hour and twenty minute ride is a good amount of time on the bike - why don't you do some shorter rides that might fit in with your shift work a bit more? It sounds like you've had a decent length of time not riding, then jumped on the bike expecting to do it with ease. A regular short ride might get your base fitness up a bit; once you're doing that comfortably you can extend the time/distance as you feel.

I rode a lot during May. So much so that I completed 'the crucifix' ride in The Dandenong Ranges near the end of the month - I wouldn't have been able to do that in April! My point is that it doesn't take long to see some improvement. Just my 5c, because inflation is hitting opinions, too. :P

Imwit

Postby Imwit » Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:48 am

Pm me brumby33. Let’s go for a ride.
I’m not fast.
And I’ve been here 20 yrs so I know heaps of good places to ride

Tim

Andy01

Postby Andy01 » Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:58 am

As mentioned above the key is frequency.

Before Covid, I was working full time and only riding on Saturday mornings. I used to ride with my neighbour & mate of 17 years until he died very suddenly of bowel cancer (aged 53 - 2 years younger than me at the time) in 2019. My wife started riding with me which was great.

In 2020 I was part of the big Covid redundancy drive, and started riding daily (dry weather only). In 4 months my weight dropped from 76kg (I am only 165cm tall) down to 64kg. Same daily route (only 13km around the suburbs, just over 30 minutes) - just moving from 1 ride/week to 5-6 rides / week. No change in diet.

My fitness is better now at 59 than it has been since I played league squash in my 30s, and my weight is only 2kg more than it was in final year uni in 1986 (probably more muscle less fat back then though :lol: ).

So, just slowly build up the frequency and the benefits will come. It doesn't have to be long hard rides, just get out more often.

I suffered back in 2021 after I was cleaned up by a SUV (driven by a MM) - 4 days in hospital, and about 6 weeks completely off a bike, and then I was using my OLD basic exercise bike for another 3 months while waiting for the new bike (old one written off & long waits due to Covid supply chain issues). Getting back on the exercise bike was hard after only 6 weeks off, and getting back out on a real bike after 4½ months was also hard (both physically & mentally) but getting back into riding daily and it didn't take too long to feel "normal" again.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:05 am

Andy01 wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:58 am
As mentioned above the key is frequency.

Before Covid, I was working full time and only riding on Saturday mornings. I used to ride with my neighbour & mate of 17 years until he died very suddenly of bowel cancer (aged 53 - 2 years younger than me at the time) in 2019. My wife started riding with me which was great.

In 2020 I was part of the big Covid redundancy drive, and started riding daily (dry weather only). In 4 months my weight dropped from 76kg (I am only 165cm tall) down to 64kg. Same daily route (only 13km around the suburbs, just over 30 minutes) - just moving from 1 ride/week to 5-6 rides / week. No change in diet.

My fitness is better now at 59 than it has been since I played league squash in my 30s, and my weight is only 2kg more than it was in final year uni in 1986 (probably more muscle less fat back then though :lol: ).

So, just slowly build up the frequency and the benefits will come. It doesn't have to be long hard rides, just get out more often.

I suffered back in 2021 after I was cleaned up by a SUV (driven by a MM) - 4 days in hospital, and about 6 weeks completely off a bike, and then I was using my OLD basic exercise bike for another 3 months while waiting for the new bike (old one written off & long waits due to Covid supply chain issues). Getting back on the exercise bike was hard after only 6 weeks off, and getting back out on a real bike after 4½ months was also hard (both physically & mentally) but getting back into riding daily and it didn't take too long to feel "normal" again.
Andy, sorry to hear about your Neighbour and mate, wow that's pretty young eh, if only he took those Government poo tests. I get a colonoscopy done around every 5 years to check on anything sinister in there.
Also sorry to hear of your accident with a car, something i'd always dread happening, esp on the operated hip side.

In the lead up to 2020 I was booked in for a total hip replacement in January 2020 and lucky i did because it wasn't long after that, Covid hit Australia and all surgeries were cancelled in March of 2020. Because I chose to go the Private Hospital route, I also opted for the 6 weeks of rehab including gym and hydro pool. That was a great program and I think if I was left to my own devices, I wouldn't have done anywhere well enough for a proper recovery.
Within a week, I was on an electric exercise bike and fearing the worst but I did a full 5 minutes at first and within a week I was doing 4kms. I also did a lot of leg up and step exercises but the most grueling and beneficial was the hydro pool exercises, I got out of that pool totally exhausted at times. Not sure how much my recovery therapy cost, possibly over $10K but for me was worth every cent

VWR Patagonia 2017