Easy-open pannier for commuting?

gadwag

Easy-open pannier for commuting?

Postby gadwag » Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:31 pm

Hey folks, I'm ditching my backpack for a pannier because I can't handle the heat of a backpack when summer rolls around. I typically carry a lunchbox, change of clothes (no shoes), pump, spare tube, and a water bottle. I like to have a little extra space in case I need to pick up something from the shops or carry something extra with me. On weekends I will be using it to carry a small amount of groceries, but I can bring a backpack as well for those trips since it's only a short distance.

I've seen plenty of recommendations for Ortlieb back-rollers, but I don't want the hassle of unrolling a roll-top bag every time I want to get something out. What other rear panniers would you recommend? Waterproofing/water resistance is nice but not necessary - I catch public transport on the rare days that it rains. An easy lock-release system such as Ortlieb's would be preferable.

I'm currently considering the Basil dry shopper, since it looks reasonably spacious, will be handy for shopping runs (in conjunction with a backpack), and should fit all my gear.

Tim

Re: Easy-open pannier for commuting?

Postby Tim » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:37 pm

Ortleib also make a clip-lock pannier.
The "plus" range is harder wearing than their conventional shiny vinyl range.

https://www.catch.com.au/product/ortlie ... gIyk_D_BwE

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:34 pm

Unrolling a back roller Ortleib is no drama, can have mine unrolled in seconds with one hand and if you want to do some shopping, just leave them open and you can stick veggies like Spinach, celery & spring onions out the top without crushing them or place a load of bread near the top without squashing your bread.....I can't see how you'd lose.
My Commute is only really about 4kms each way but sometimes my wife asks me to call into the local Woollies to buy some veggies or milk etc, with 2 Ortleib back rollers permanently on my bike, never short of space for some quick shopping.
In the morning especially in Winter I carry a large jacket, sometimes a balaclava, my helmet and beanie sometimes plus my lunch. Very convenient and doesn't take much to undo or do up and has never let a drop of water in, I've had these panniers for over 15 years so if you buy quality from the start.....you'll probably never need to buy again.

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

tez001

Postby tez001 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:02 pm

I use Deuter Uni panniers. They are not water proof however I have a cover for when i get caught in the rain. It comes as a pair however I have only ever used one
Top has two clips to open and close.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:59 am

I don't want to break the spell of all them quality bags out there...but my bags cost I think around $20-00 From Banggood or somewhere eight years ago. I wanted them for general shopping.

They fit over an existing rack and fit the bill nicely. They are light with just two strap buckles that clip in and work fine.

I bought cheap as I thought I might be succumbing to a fad, and if ok I would get something more heavy duty. Well I Liked them so much they never came off and still work.
I would post a pic but I find the effort just drives me crazy.

At first I thought they might be too small but 10 to 15 plus kg is no problem. But that's why I bought a steel bike in the first place.

But they are also usefull for a twenty klm ride to Patterson river outlet to the bay in Melb with a fold up rod and a small kit of bait with a few cans wrapped in news paper.
No way suitable for a long ride camping though just to lightly built for real hard yakka.

Very similar
https://au.banggood.com/BIKIGHT-25L-Cyc ... rehouse=CN
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

gadwag

Postby gadwag » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:00 pm

Thanks for the suggestions and advice, folks. I'll have a think and hopefully try some out at a nearby bike store.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:15 pm

a bit late to the party, always forget there are a hundred different forum categories.

I use the ortlieb panniers, some thing of note over the past 5+years I have used them
I don't roll them up anymore, i just clip the strap
I never do that thing where I wrap the carrying strap around the bottom clip, I just gather the excess and put it in the bag (including the corners)
if its raining ill make the effort to give it an extra roll, but still, you would have to be riding for hours in rain or into a river to get water in

Even so, I still have issues closing it with one hand, both clips are "free", e.g I have trouble doing it with one hand if I just turn around at a traffic light to throw my jacket in.

zebee

Postby zebee » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:41 pm

I love my Arkel Shopper. A drawstring top if you feel like bothering, I often don't. Can pack a slab in there with a bit of room left for the sausages and the toasting fork.
With the drawstring done up tight it's showerproof, with a light rain cover on it is "30 minutes in 2 inches in an hour rainstorm" waterproof.
Being imported from Canada it ain't cheap but it's easy on and off, easy to manage, and holds everything I need it to hold whether that's the shopping or the full change of clothes including shoes, laptop, and get a loaf of bread and 2l of milk on the way home.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:39 am

The anooyances I have found with the ortliebs as a everyday commuter.

Does not stand on its own/it just flops down when I am trying to pack it.
Due to its floppiness the strap always hooks onto the bottom rack hook .... grrr
Hard to close it one handed

Really all the issues stem from me wanting to not need 2 hands to use the panniers.

The arkel has some nice features. I like the idea of that flap that covers the clips, although I'd want it to go the full length and width. The back of my pannier is muddy and that has transferred to my clothes a couple of times.

zebee

Postby zebee » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:37 pm

The flap is vital, else the clips definitely dig into you. I haven't had issues with mud even on the bike without the rear mudguard but I seldom go through really muddy bits. You can carry the pannier the other way round or use the shoulderstrap so the front side is closest to you although it isn't as comfortable.
Maybe use the raincover and take it off before carrying the pannier?

The one issue I have with it is the way it sticks up above its clips. I use a racktop bag as well and they fight for space a bit.