Bag for cycling to work

Tgitarri

Bag for cycling to work

Postby Tgitarri » Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:47 am

Hi all, I'm new here. I’m looking for a rucksack that would fit a laptop and, jeans, a t-shirt, and trainers, for a commute to work. It would be great if it was waterproof, I found a few bags with back support on this site maybe somebody has experience with it? I’d rather not spend hundreds on one.

I live around 25 miles away, so I will be going full kit and can shower when I’m at work. Obviously the less bulky the better, because of the 50 miles. Thanks for your help.
Last edited by Tgitarri on Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Bag for cycling to work

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:00 am

In Australia we typically use kilometers so I assume you are overseas.

Best commuting backpacks - specifically designed for cycling and genuinely waterproof, comfortable and useful are from Ortlieb and Vaude. The problem is, for a good quality bag that will be comfortable and last, they cost money.

Cheap bags will have problems with comfort (e.g sweaty back and straps that degrade), failing zips, failing waterproof capability and even have the manufacturing issues such as cheap labour and non-sustainable manufacturing and materials.

So if you go for something cheap, the chances are you will have a short lifespan and then end up having to replace the bag regularly and be frustrated. A quality bag should be a considered purchase so make sure the details (size / features) match and at the end it generally pays off.

If you are overseas, the chances are that you will get Ortlieb bags for a more reasonable price (they are pretty expensive in Australia).
Cycling is in my BNA

piledhigher

Postby piledhigher » Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:03 am

AUbicycles wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:00 am
Can narrow that further to Libya, Myanmar or America...

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:09 am

piledhigher wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:03 am
AUbicycles wrote:

Libya or Liberia ? :D

Although the Brexits still use MPH on roads I think as well..

edit:spelling
Last edited by 10speedsemiracer on Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

piledhigher

Postby piledhigher » Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:11 am

10speedsemiracer wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:09 am
piledhigher wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:03 am
AUbicycles wrote:

Libya or Liberia ? :D

Although the Brexits still use MPH on roads I think as well..
Yes, Liberia..

Also you should see the conniptions in an American forum when someone mentions weight in Stones!

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:34 pm

I tend to not use a backpack for commuting - I use pannier bags instead. However, I have a number of backpacks that I use for bushwalking.

My general rule for smaller backpacks - the size that you are after, about 20-30 litres - is to buy something relatively cheap. Not complete "dollar shop" bottom of the range stuff, but something pretty basic. I make sure that it is comfortable, but that's not too hard when you're only carrying a few kilos.

It will last a surprisingly long time.

Also, every backpack is waterproof if you use a rain cover. They are pretty basic - like a shower cap that stretches over your pack - but are very useful.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:22 pm

Any backpack will give you a sweaty back, and a soggy bag, riding for that long. Doesn't really bother me personally but does for others.

I bought a High Sierra backpack with a laptop slot and heaps of space for everything I need to carry. Well under $100, came with a waterproof hi-viz cover and wide comfy straps.

Something like this as a rough guide:
https://www.bagworld.com.au/shop/detail ... laptop-tn/
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:24 pm

If you must use a back pack/ rucksack I remain happy with my decades old Deuter 28. The new ones are not as good (details ) but are a shed load cheaper.
But as others have said, for 25 miles on road I’ll go for racks (with crap centrally & behind me on top the rack) over any other method. Excess/wet weather gear goes in the handle bar bag
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Prydey

Postby Prydey » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:09 pm

I use a blackwolf tempo 30, although a tempo 40 may suit better given what you want to put in it.

They have an air back system so the bag doesn't actually rest on your back. Straps are very comfy with chest and waist straps and zipped compartments in the waist straps.

Built in rain cover zips in to a pocket in the base however it doesn't work great in heavy rain but the bag material is also water resistant so the insides still stay dry.

My commute is 27km each way and the bag is fine.
2015 Cannondale Supersix Evo Hi mod DA

Warnesy

Postby Warnesy » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:16 pm

This is what I use for cycling to work
https://www.macpac.com.au/clearance/equ ... RANCE.html

I find it light and comfortable.

BillParkinson

Postby BillParkinson » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:34 am

I use the North Face's laptop bag, which is quite roomy. You may find a light bag over the shoulder as well as a spacious backpack for long-distance trips.

AndrewCowley

Postby AndrewCowley » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:12 pm

Mububban wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:22 pm
Any backpack will give you a sweaty back, and a soggy bag, riding for that long. Doesn't really bother me personally but does for others.

Nope.

https://www.bikebug.com/deuter-race-exp ... 39737.html

https://www.bikebug.com/images/Addinfo/ ... iagram.jpg

Prydey

Postby Prydey » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:01 pm

Similar to the black wolf system

https://images.snowys.com.au/content/im ... kpack.jpeg

As mentioned a couple of posts up, I use this bag and the bag stays dry regardless of body sweat. My commute is an hour each way.
2015 Cannondale Supersix Evo Hi mod DA

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:25 am

As somebody who regularly commuted 42 kilometres each way. I would suggest you rethink what you need to carry every day. I learnt that 30C+, 30kph headwind ride home in summer are no fun with a backpack or even bike luggage.

The less weight you need to carry on you or the bike each ride the better.

Can you leave your trainers at work? (I used to leave a couple of pairs)

What about your jeans? (again a couple of pairs)? (can always take a fresh pair in with your shirts see below)

T shirts any reason you need to take a fresh one every day (I would take 5 business shirts, 5 socks and jocks) once a week in a Henty Wingman and take the dirty stuff home that day.

In these days of cloud computing do you really need to take a laptop to and from work every day? If you do really need it, I would suggest the laptop carrier by Lawrence Carpenter at 2 minutes 40 seconds

Even a handlebar bar costs you an extra 5% of energy to push you bike through the wind. So instead of a 90 minute it is 96 minute commute. So you lose an hour a week, to carry stuff you don't really need to.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:21 pm

I use an Overboard backpack. fit laptop, keyboard, clothes and food easy enough and fully waterproof, have used it packrafting

https://www.amazon.com.au/OverBoard-Cla ... 5602&psc=1
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

Mofra

Postby Mofra » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:06 am

I've been using a Hershel backpack for about 5 years now on my morning commutes (pre-lockdown).
Has been comfortable to ride in plus with just magnets on the main flap it's easy to open and close mid-commute (to grab or put away a jacket).

I did get a rack and panniers when I recently upgraded my bike though, it is more comfortable.

Zippy7

Postby Zippy7 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:34 pm

Ha. Was commuting by bike 2-3 times a week pre-Covid. 2020 was mainly WFH and putting on weight. I haven't dared commute again. Have only recently started up the weekend rides.
Anyway, just get a comfy backpack to carry your gear in - a sternum (chest) strap and waist strap would help with stability. Otherwise, get a pannier rack and an appropriate bag(s). Ride on...
Successful trades : Rheicel, Je, wgc138, 2ndeffort, celeste boy, rodneycc

Mofra

Postby Mofra » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:52 am

I used to use a backpack when cycling to work, rarely covered more than 10kms though.
I used a Hershel that was gifted to me, was waterproof even though it didn't look it.

Now on the Ortlieb pannier bandwagon - some surprisingly good deals on ebay for the old-school backrollers

henno

Postby henno » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:19 pm

I bought a pair of ortlieb frontrollers (city) and use them on the back. They are perfectly sized, 100 bucks for the pair, and I usually just use the one. Find another person to go halves in for $50 each and you are sorted.

https://www.bikebug.com/ortlieb-front-r ... 49881.html

I'll not go back to my backpack.

Stepr

Postby Stepr » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:50 pm

I commute in all weather ~35km per day and I find this time of year I need to wear clothing for very cold in the morning and much less of it in afternoons (when its warmer but still under 10c). So you will need plenty of room in your bag, particularly if carrying shoes so at least 32-35 litre.

seriously consider what configuration of pockets you may need - I like a few external pockets and one with an organiser. I find those bags with a pocket on the hip belt great for the security pass.

None or limited external pockets is just plain anoying if you need quick access to keys or bike locks and security passes without having to open the single opening in your bag like in those ortlieb ones ( that I will never be buying).

BritniPepper

Postby BritniPepper » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:28 am

I have pannier bags on my bike, and don't worry too much about weight and airspeed. I cycle because it's a pleasant way to burn calories.

I have a couple of backpacks. If I were using one for cycling it would be my Osprey Talon 11. I had a bit of fun writing up a review here and for cycling purposes the fact that it has a mesh to keep an air pocket between sweaty back and backpack, the several carefully-designed pockets and storage compartments, the low profile, and the hydration bladder all make for a good choice.

I can have a couple of little things within easy reach as well as the mouthpiece for the water bladder. Even a built-in whistle that might help when sneaking up on some unwary pedestrian.

Britni

wongaga

Postby wongaga » Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:14 pm

I used both panniers and backpacks during my commuting days. Some days the wind would fairly howl up the creek valley which made panniers really hard work on the way home, hence the back pack. Also if you have to haul your stuff around after you arrive a back pack is much more practical. I still use my Caribee College 30 which I bought about 20 years ago. It's in good shape except for the base, which is starting to wear thin. This pack has traveled the world on my business trips, done countless bike and train commutes, been doused in salt water on my sailing trips, hauled along on camping trips, you name it. I can't vouch for the current version, but they sure built 'em tough 20 years ago.

Cheers, Graeme

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:57 am

I have a little pouch which attaches to the back of the Ortlieb pannier where I put the phone and reading glasses, all the outside pockets I need.

As for spare tube, mini tool etc they go in the saddle bag, a Brooks on one bike and an Ortlieb on the other.

I commute and carry clothes in on the bike and have shoes at work.

If I had a laptop I would probably want to put that in some sort of cover in the pannier as it will get shaken up a bit on a bike. But laptops just need to be able to handle this presumably.

For me a pannier is the way to go, let the bike carry the weight, I don't want to.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

Damo380

Postby Damo380 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:29 pm

After years of riding to work with a backpack I splurged and got myself a Tailfin Aeropack. It wasn't cheap and I umm'ed and ahh'ed for years before parting with $800. But after riding with it for 3 months now it was well worth the investment. I commute on a 2017 Merida Scultura and it handles fine with the rack on it.
N+1 is a 2019 Defy which I hope to do a few overnights on, and once again it fits well and has more than enough carrying capacity.