Brindabella to Youak

rogger

Brindabella to Youak

Postby rogger » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:26 pm

I'm thinking of doing the above ride over Xmas.
Ideally Id like to ride up the Brindabella valley through to Mcleods Spur trail but I'm thinking the land owners at the end of the valley might object. Also, the Goodradigbee might still up making the crossings difficult/impossible.
The next stage would be from Long Plain to Tantangra via Blue Waterholes. Should be ok as far as I know.
The final stage would be Tantangara to Youak. There seem to be some tracks but they might involve some private property as well.

Anyone have any thoughts about the feasibility of the above?

bent spoke

Re: Brindabella to Youak

Postby bent spoke » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:21 pm

I did much of that ride in reverse, last year. From Yaouk, along Lone Pine Fire trail, past Oldfields Hut, via Blue Waterholes to Long Plain. A slight detour to the head of the Murrumbidgee, then Long Plain down into Brindabella Valley via the power line trail, which was in excellent shape. There were numerous signs saying no publc access once you get to the end of the national park, but it was just a big gate that I could lift the bike over after removing bags. Then on down the valley. If I had come across a vehicle I guess they could have run me off the road, but I saw noone. Others may have had a different experience, but my only problem on the trip was to see the crazy numbers of Brumbies on Long Plain, and the damage they cause. But thats another story.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:10 pm

I am riding a loop from Canberra to Thredbo and back sometime late Nov or early December. I have pinched the Terra Australis route along with last years Hunt1000, joined them together, changed some directions and added Valentines hut in... still working on the course but the Terra Australis route might help you. Thats out Brindibella valley and then links to Long Plain Rd https://ridewithgps.com/routes/32866205.

I also rode this https://www.strava.com/activities/27094 ... 7734272081 last year, Blue Waterholes fire trail and Long Plain Rd although this did go through a no cycling part of Namadgi. I do try and avoid the Namadgi part now days but if you dont get caught then were you ever there.
Also a lot of Brumbie dung dodging... I initially thought someone had stacked them together... amazing the size of some of the piles.
My day 2 went through Yaouk, it might help https://www.strava.com/activities/2709447751
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

rogger

Postby rogger » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:17 am

Thanks guys, I didnt get a notification of your replies so Ive only just seen them.
It sounds promising. Ill be doing it over Christmas so it could be a bit warm. Ill have to figure out what to do about water.
Im thinking of doing it as a loop from Canberra. The first leg will be to Brindabella. I was thinking of camping by the river there but Ive seen there are no camping signs everywhere now. I might just take a bivy bag and argue the toss if I get caught.
The last leg would be Youak to Canberra with an overnight stop at Youak. I should be able to camp some where there and purify some water for the ride to Canberra along Bobyan Rd (or some other tracks).
Should be interesting.