New bridge over Cooks River at Earlwood

Retrobyte

New bridge over Cooks River at Earlwood

Postby Retrobyte » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:39 am

Rode the Cooks River cycleway this morning for the first time in a couple of months and the bridge work has been completed - in fact it's a entire new nice wide bridge with no corners - a welcome improvement.

https://www.bikenorth.org.au/2020/11/25 ... -now-open/

Now all they need to do is get rid of those annoying chicanes at a couple of the road crossings along the route - I stupidly clipped one at walking pace this morning and had a fall. Took some bark off my knee and elbow, and a scratch on a crank and shifter, but thankfully nothing worse.

LateStarter

Re: New bridge over Cooks River at Earlwood

Postby LateStarter » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:00 am

Retrobyte wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:39 am
Now all they need to do is get rid of those annoying chicanes at a couple of the road crossings along the route
And the extremely narrow, tight, underwhelming underpass at Canterbury Road !!!
Bill (Long Distance Dreamer)
2008 Cannondale Touring 2, 2013 Vivente World Randonneur, 2015 Lynskey Sportive Disc

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:18 am

Nice to see that after more than a decade of being "planned" the bridge is built & that they ditched the numerous half-baked ideas they originally came up with for on that emphasises function.

The cynic in me thinks that by the time they widen the underpass at Canterbury Rd, water levels will have risen enough to flood it.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

roberto73

Postby roberto73 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:58 am

iI think work is due to start this year on that narrow section under Canterbury Rd. Have to figure out some detour routes on north side.

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:21 am

roberto73 wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:58 am
iI think work is due to start this year on that narrow section under Canterbury Rd. Have to figure out some detour routes on north side.
Yes, they are talking Feb to Aug for that work.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:06 am

Retrobyte wrote:
Now all they need to do is get rid of those annoying chicanes at a couple of the road crossings along the route - I stupidly clipped one at walking pace this morning and had a fall. Took some bark off my knee and elbow, and a scratch on a crank and shifter, but thankfully nothing worse.
Haven't ridden to Tempe in ages - did so the other day & discovered State Rail have added barriers to stop recumbents, trailers & wide prams from being able to use the under rail crossing. I haven't measured it, but it looks to me like it would also stop some wheelchairs & mobility scooters from using it. Next ride I will take a tape measure

Typical public service vandals - spend taxpayer dollars improving a facility & then install barriers to using it.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:51 pm

Retrobyte wrote:
Rode the Cooks River cycleway this morning for the first time in a couple of months and the bridge work has been completed - in fact it's a entire new nice wide bridge with no corners - a welcome improvement.

https://www.bikenorth.org.au/2020/11/25 ... -now-open/

Wow, I'll be damned! Is that the replacement for that rickety narrow old wooden bridge? That's amazing! :o

Those chicanes at the road crossings are designed to be annoying - I think they want people to dismount and walk across in order not to inconvenience the cars.

zebee

Postby zebee » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:51 pm

I think the chicanes are there to give you room to sit and wait for the traffic. Rather than having your arse hanging out in the middle of the road.

They are a pain on the upright tricycle but fine on the 2 wheel bent, the trike, and either bent with a trailer.

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:44 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:06 am
Haven't ridden to Tempe in ages - did so the other day & discovered State Rail have added barriers to stop recumbents, trailers & wide prams from being able to use the under rail crossing. I haven't measured it, but it looks to me like it would also stop some wheelchairs & mobility scooters from using it. Next ride I will take a tape measure
[/quote]

The Green Rocket fits through the "added barriers".... as long as nothing is coming the other way
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2
Rotovelo Across Australia

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:50 pm

zebee wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:51 pm
I think the chicanes are there to give you room to sit and wait for the traffic. Rather than having your arse hanging out in the middle of the road.

They are a pain on the upright tricycle but fine on the 2 wheel bent, the trike, and either bent with a trailer.
..... there ain't no room for the Green Rocket at ANY of those chicanes..... and as for my arse? :mrgreen:

I totally ignore them and take my chances with the traffic
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2
Rotovelo Across Australia

zebee

Postby zebee » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:39 pm

recumbenteer wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:44 pm
The Green Rocket fits through the "added barriers".... as long as nothing is coming the other way
And after a few visits from the Rocket they'll have been banged sideways enough for wider vehicles to pass.

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:37 am

roberto73 wrote:
I hadn't ridden the Cooks River path for a few months so yesterday was expecting to see a detour in place, or work in progress - but nothing is happening yet. So did some Googling to see if I can find the latest info, came across this ....

https://www.cbcity.nsw.gov.au/developme ... wofproject

New path under the road will be 3.5m wide, which will be a massive improvement over the current tunnel, which is less than 1m wide ....

They're currently doing some utilities preparation in advance of the main work - no indication when the detour will commence yet ... https://webdocs.bankstown.nsw.gov.au/ap ... 0flyer.pdf

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:44 am

Retrobyte wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:37 am
roberto73 wrote:
I hadn't ridden the Cooks River path for a few months so yesterday was expecting to see a detour in place, or work in progress - but nothing is happening yet. So did some Googling to see if I can find the latest info, came across this ....

https://www.cbcity.nsw.gov.au/developme ... wofproject

New path under the road will be 3.5m wide, which will be a massive improvement over the current tunnel, which is less than 1m wide ....

They're currently doing some utilities preparation in advance of the main work - no indication when the detour will commence yet ... https://webdocs.bankstown.nsw.gov.au/ap ... 0flyer.pdf
Looks good, as long as there is an alternative nearby. That seems 100% guaranteed to be underwater after any sort of decent rainfall. Still, I'd take that improvement for general usage.

roberto73

Postby roberto73 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:13 pm

Detour route during construction is supposed to be via Charles and Close Sts, with a diversion on shared footpaths on Canterbury Rd up and back to the lights near Broughton St. Alternatively you could use Broughton and Tincombe Sts eastbound. Tincombe is one way east. Then keep going on Canberra, Hurlstone and Foord back to the path. Bike Marrickville facebook page has a few threads on this.

SteveTheTiger

Postby SteveTheTiger » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:33 am

Good chance of flooding along the Cooks River path this weekend due to high tides...

Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology, New South Wales
Initial Minor Flood Warning for the Cooks River
at Tempe Bridge
Issued at 9:13 am EST on Friday 23 July 2021

Flood Warning Number: 1

MINOR FLOODING EXPECTED AT TEMPE ON FRIDAY, SATURDAY AND SUNDAY

An abnormally high tide is expected to cause minor flooding along the Cooks River at Tempe on Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings.

Small rainfall totals are forecast for the area, though is not expected to contribute to the minor flooding at Tempe.

Cooks River:
Minor flooding is expected along the Cooks River.

A minor peak is expected in the Cooks River at Tempe Bridge around 07:30 pm Saturday, around 08:00 pm Saturday and around 08:30 pm Sunday on the high tide.

For more info - http://www.bom.gov.au/nsw/warnings/floo ... iver.shtml

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:37 pm

https://www.cbcity.nsw.gov.au/developme ... re-upgrade. Scroll down in link.

Cooks River Shared Path Detour

Council will commence work to upgrade the Canterbury Road shared path underpass on Monday 22 August 2022. During the upgrade Council will need to close the underpass and recommends cyclists use the detour route outlined below:
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

zebee

Postby zebee » Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:58 pm

Interesting that they say to dismount to cross, but not to dismount for Phillips to the Fore St lights or Fore to the green bit. I wonder if they are going to make those temporary shared?

Maybe just go down Fore to High and down the rutted desire line to the path.

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:31 am

The detour is fine and well signposted, however the bridge across the river into Tasker Park at the northern end of the detour has very narrow bollards at the entrance. Took me by surprise yesterday and I came a cropper. Otherwise the detour works well.

LateStarter

Re: Cooks River Cycleway / Cantrebury Road Underpass?

Postby LateStarter » Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:38 am

Bunged Knee wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:37 pm
https://www.cbcity.nsw.gov.au/developme ... re-upgrade. Scroll down in link.

Cooks River Shared Path Detour

Council will commence work to upgrade the Canterbury Road shared path underpass on Monday 22 August 2022. During the upgrade Council will need to close the underpass and recommends cyclists use the detour route outlined below:
Now more than a year, is this work still going on, haven't been that way for years but thought it might be time, looked up OSM yesterday and the detour still seems to be there and path still closed? They can't really blame poor Covid for this (like every other "delay")
Bill (Long Distance Dreamer)
2008 Cannondale Touring 2, 2013 Vivente World Randonneur, 2015 Lynskey Sportive Disc

zebee

Postby zebee » Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:51 pm

I think it ended up being more complex than they realised. They aren't just doing the underpass, they are moving a lot of utilities to do the road reshaping for the Charles St lights