Camping outside sites - getting permission?

Wixxy

Camping outside sites - getting permission?

Postby Wixxy » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:54 pm

Last edited by Wixxy on Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Aushiker

Re: Camping outside sites - getting permission?

Postby Aushiker » Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:15 pm

Never bothered. Have just pulled over and camped when I needed to. Chances of coming across an officer of DPLH etc pretty much zilch and if I did well it is not hard to pack up and move on if the worse came to the worse.

Wixxy

Re: Camping away from campsites on Crown land - getting permission?

Postby Wixxy » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:25 pm

I've just applied to camp north of Perth, on unallocated land to see if its' possible to gain permission from DPLH. I see unallocated land to be the best chance of getting permission (see Land Administration (Land Use) Regulations).

I had to find somewhere in between 2 destinations to argue that I couldn't get to an overnight stop at a registered campsite.
The site I choose is outside of a public water source area (water reserve), as you need even more permissions via DWER (see Metropolitan Water Supply, Sewerage & Drainage Regulations / Water Services Regulations).
I've kept my intended time there short to help sway the dept., and to be under the 3 day limit where you don't need local gov approvals (see Camping & Caravanning Regulations).

Wixxy

Postby Wixxy » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:12 pm

Just an update, finally got some response and feedback on camping on unallocated crown land.

The costs of applying are fairly high, the system in place is more geared to large events and commercial licences. That's before any decision is made either way. So you could be paying for a no!
The two options were a licence to do an activity (commercial or otherwise) for a set period on my chosen location or a predetermined event on a set date. Both could have set conditions attached.

1) The licence option would be $500 for the license and an admin fee of around $700 for checks with DMIRS regards any mining activity, native title checks and local gov comment / approvals if applicable.

2) The event option I think would include the $700 admin / processing fee, but I've as yet to check what additional costs would be included, though there's no licence fee involved.

Both could include a surveying fee if a survey doesn't exist as yet for that crown lot.

In comparison, Parks & Wildlife (DBCA) have no fee for non-commercial applications to camp in non-designated areas (and for other activities) within conservation reserves. I would expect in this instance that permission would be unlikely, but there's a big difference in approach and policy between each department.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:35 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:15 pm
Never bothered. Have just pulled over and camped when I needed to.
In this case the law is an ass, and its enforcement (along with restrictions on camping on so-called private property) seems to be coincidental to the on going purchase of (ex) council camping sites by one or two big players.

I've kept my nose out of it personally but from hearsay this has all the appearances of (literal) rent seeking.
Shiller wrote: The classic example of rent-seeking, according to Robert Shiller, is that of a property owner who installs a chain across a river that flows through his land and then hires a collector to charge passing boats a fee to lower the chain. There is nothing productive about the chain or the collector. The owner has made no improvements to the river and is not adding value in any way, directly or indirectly, except for himself. All he is doing is finding a way to make money from something that used to be free[/url]
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:10 am

Camping in the outback

Be aware that when venturing far afield, you may need to apply for permission from appropriate indiginous land councils.

Going on as it was in the past, the following applied but procedures can change so always check the process and who to approach at the time.

Usually a token charge but the approvals are generally given only to pass through the land, not to hang around. Four days allowed for passage are common. On a bike this may be impossible. Talk it over with the relevant land council.

In such places the DPLH is not in the picture.

In general the same applies to the NT, SA and, I'd assume, all other states and territories.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Wixxy

Postby Wixxy » Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:48 pm

In reply to Thoglette - there is some truth in that. Why Park & Wildlife (DCBA) can offer a free application and DPLH can't may be done to the former having a bigger workforce, resources and budget, meaning they can do so.

In reply to Colin - they do check on native title in that area that you are applying for, which I presumed would throw up the need to investigate further?