2021 Cycling fatalities

AdelaidePeter

2021 Cycling fatalities

Postby AdelaidePeter » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:16 pm

I am shocked and sorry to have to start this thread only a few hours into the new year. Driver has been arrested. https://www.police.sa.gov.au/sa-police- ... ley-beach3 . I don't ride it myself, but this road is part of a popular seaside cycling route in Adelaide's north.
SA Police wrote: Police have arrested a driver after a fatal crash at Henley Beach earlier this morning.

Just before 7.30am on Friday 1 January emergency services were called to Seaview Road at Henley Beach following reports of a collision between a car and cyclist.

The 60-year-old Brighton man who was riding the bicycle died at the scene.

The driver of the car, a 51-year-old man from Grange, was taken to the Royal Adelaide Hospital where he was assessed. He was arrested a short time later and taken to the City Watch House where he was charged with causing death by dangerous driving and aggravated driving without due care. He will be granted bail to appear in the Adelaide Magistrates Court at a later date.

Seaview Road is currently closed between Reedie Street and Marlborough Street. Please avoid the area.
Condolences to the rider's family and friends :( :( :(

cyclingnolycra

Re: 2021 Cycling fatalities

Postby cyclingnolycra » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:33 pm

Shocking. I thought that New Year's Day morning would be one of the most quiet times on the road ever.

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:02 pm

cyclingnolycra wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:33 pm
Shocking. I thought that New Year's Day morning would be one of the most quiet times on the road ever.
The driver was probably driving home from a party.

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:35 am

Cyclist killed in hit and run Carnarvon.

Just came across this . They have caught the driver and he should have faced court by now but not found any details yet.
Not the way to start a new year. Condolences to his family.

From here. https://www.police.wa.gov.au/Media-Cent ... sh-Charges
Major Crash Investigators have charged a man following their investigation into a hit and run crash in East Carnarvon on Sunday, 3 January 2021.

It will be alleged that at approximately 7pm the man was driving a white Honda Accord westerly along Robinson Street when he collided with the rear of a cyclist who was riding in the same direction. The cyclist was thrown onto the vehicle’s windscreen before landing on the road. The driver did not stop and continued driving.

The cyclist, a 52 year old man, received serious head injuries and was flown to Royal Perth Hospital for treatment.

The driver of the Honda, a 36 year old Carnarvon man, has been charged with:
• Dangerous Driving Occasioning Grievous Bodily Harm
• Driver failed to stop and ensure assistance received after incident occasioning grievous bodily harm
• Driver fail to report an incident occasioning death or grievous bodily harm

He is due to appear in the Carnarvon Magistrates Court on Monday, 18 January 2021.

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:34 am

Sadly while googling about the one above, I found there was also a death following a crash in Goulburn... this news reported is dated 25-Jan-2021 https://aboutregional.com.au/cyclist-di ... -goulburn/
A male cyclist has died in the Canberra Hospital after being hit by a motor vehicle in Goulburn late last week.

The 40-year-old cyclist was treated for head injuries at the scene before being airlifted to Canberra Hospital in a serious condition, where he died at about 4:00 pm on Saturday (23 January).

The accident occurred at about 4:00 pm last Thursday (21 January). Emergency services were called after a bicycle travelling on Auburn Street and a utility travelling east [on] Mundy Street collided at the roundabout.

The driver and sole occupant, a 27-year-old man, was not injured.
Looking at GSV... if the you are travelling east on Mundy Street and approaching that roundabout, then Auburn Street slopes downhill right to left. So it looks like the cyclist was coming downhill from the right and the ute driver failed to give way. (The alternative is that the cyclist was coming uphill from the left and failed to give way, but then the cyclist would have been going quite slow). Yet no mention of any charges.

zebee

Postby zebee » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:45 pm

AdelaidePeter wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:34 am
Looking at GSV... if the you are travelling east on Mundy Street and approaching that roundabout, then Auburn Street slopes downhill right to left. So it looks like the cyclist was coming downhill from the right and the ute driver failed to give way. (The alternative is that the cyclist was coming uphill from the left and failed to give way, but then the cyclist would have been going quite slow). Yet no mention of any charges.
He only had to give way if the bicycle was already on the roundabout when the car entered the roundabout.

We usually shorthand this by "give way to the right" because that means you don't have to guess who is going to get there first on a small roundabout.

I've got one at the end of my street and it is quite surprising the number of people who are surprised that the bicycle to "the left" isn't giving way but is on the roundabout before they get to it. Most times I don't bother as I'd rather be upright and wrong then sideways and right...

Zebee

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:55 pm

zebee wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:45 pm
AdelaidePeter wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:34 am
He only had to give way if the bicycle was already on the roundabout when the car entered the roundabout.

We usually shorthand this by "give way to the right" because that means you don't have to guess who is going to get there first on a small roundabout.
True... I forgot that when I posted. If anything it makes it even more damning for the motorist: either way, to be fatally hit, the cyclist was almost certainly in the roundabout first.

Condolences to anyone reading this who knew him.

uart

Postby uart » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:28 pm

EDIT: Never mind, point already covered by zebee (should have refreshed my browser - Doh).

zebee

Postby zebee » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:21 pm

It isn't clear from the report who hit what. Mundy seems to not only be downhill but curving. A bike going fast might not be easily seen around an A pillar but more importantly..., did the car hit the bike or did the bike hit the car? The report does seem to imply that car hit bike meaning bike was already on the roundabout but it is also possible that the bike was going fast enough to not brake in time.

Having nearly been snotted at a give way sign because my brain said "there's never any cars here" and ignored what my eyes were telling it [1] I know it can be done.

Zebee

[1] the hindbrain was having none of it and put the brakes on which startled the hell out of the conscious mind when it happened. Almost as much as the car coming from the right did which I'd looked at but not "seen"

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:53 pm

https://www.police.vic.gov.au/wongarra-fatal-collision
Police are investigating the circumstances surrounding a fatal collision which occurred in Wongarra this afternoon.

Officers have been told a car and bicycle collided on the Great Ocean Road about 3.30pm.

The rider of the bike, believed to be a man in his 50s, died at the scene.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:07 pm

Luke Azzopardi an up and coming young cyclist was killed in a crash with a car this morning outside Cairns

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:38 pm

^^ Not this morning, it happened last night.

Report from https://www.tropicnow.com.au/2021/febru ... -collision
The 19-year-old cyclist who died yesterday afternoon has been identified.

Police believe Gordonvale man Luke Azzopardi was travelling down Lake Morris Road, Kanimbla, at around 6.10pm when a collision occurred with a car travelling in the opposite direction.

Mr Azzopardi was pronounced deceased at the scene.

The driver of the car, a 19-year-old Edmonton woman, was not physically injured.

Investigations by the Forensic Crash Unit are continuing.

Mr Azzopardi's family and the Cairns Cycling Club are mourning the sudden loss of the popular and talented cyclist.
Young life been taken away.
Condolences to his family and friends.

May he Rest'n'Ride In Peace.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

cycles gitane
Location: Near the Dandenong Creek cycle trail, Eastern Melbourne

Postby cycles gitane » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:43 pm

As reported above another tragic report in Victoria on the ocean road, condolences.
There is NO room in the shed for the next bike! New shed rqd.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:46 pm

Monday, 22 February 2021 11:27:22 AM

A man has died following a cycling crash on the state’s Central Coast yesterday.

About 9:50am yesterday (Sunday 21 February 2021), a man was riding with a group of cyclists along the Pacific Highway at Cheero Point, when he has hit the Armco railing.

Traffic and Highway Patrol officers administered first aid; however, the 59-year-old man had suffered critical injuries and died at the scene.

Officers from Brisbane Waters Police Area Command established a crime scene and commenced an investigation.

A brief will be prepared for the information of the Coroner.
https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/news/news ... w9MQ%3D%3D

Don’t go reading the comments on the NSW Police Facebook post. The cyclist’s wife had posted on there. Apparently a freak accident during a training ride. Was all caught on camera by other riders. No more details, but sounds like the Armco is what did the damage.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:09 am

Bunged Knee wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:38 pm
^^ Not this morning, it happened last night.

Report from https://www.tropicnow.com.au/2021/febru ... -collision
The 19-year-old cyclist who died yesterday afternoon has been identified.

Police believe Gordonvale man Luke Azzopardi was travelling down Lake Morris Road, Kanimbla, at around 6.10pm when a collision occurred with a car travelling in the opposite direction.

Mr Azzopardi was pronounced deceased at the scene.

The driver of the car, a 19-year-old Edmonton woman, was not physically injured.

Investigations by the Forensic Crash Unit are continuing.

Mr Azzopardi's family and the Cairns Cycling Club are mourning the sudden loss of the popular and talented cyclist.
Young life been taken away.
Condolences to his family and friends.

May he Rest'n'Ride In Peace.
I didn't see this earlier - just terrible. :cry: RIP.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:13 pm

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-08/ ... t/13227528

May the wind always be at your back, and the sun always upon your face, and may the wings of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars.

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:33 am

Tragically, a 21 year old cyclist was killed on the Eyre Highway, 75km west of the Caiguna Roadhouse, yesterday (April 7).

The only articles I can find are paywalled, e.g. https://thewest.com.au/news/disaster-an ... 881841317z

EDIT: It was pointed out in a Facebook discussion: this was on a completely straight stretch of road, the "90 mile straight" :(

ausFred

Postby ausFred » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:09 pm

AdelaidePeter wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:33 am
Tragically, a 21 year old cyclist was killed on the Eyre Highway, 75km west of the Caiguna Roadhouse, yesterday (April 7).

The only articles I can find are paywalled, e.g. https://thewest.com.au/news/disaster-an ... 881841317z
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-08/ ... /100055786

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:55 pm

This is really tragic, I saw some coverage when the young rider was embarking on his trip and the narrative is “this road is too dangerous for bikd riders” rather than “There is a failure on this road to ensure the safety of bicycle riders and drivers on this stretch are not taking adequate precautions to drive safely around bicycle riders.
Cycling is in my BNA

caneye

Postby caneye » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:40 pm

An unfortunate accident in western Sydney yesterday during a weekly club groupride-cum-training. RIP sir.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:28 pm

caneye wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:40 pm
An unfortunate accident in western Sydney yesterday during a weekly club groupride-cum-training. RIP sir.

Terrible news and RIP to the rider and sincerest condolences to the family of the rider. The rider was quite experienced.

I wasn't on that ride so I can't say anything more.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:04 pm

AUbicycles wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:55 pm
This is really tragic, I saw some coverage when the young rider was embarking on his trip and the narrative is “this road is too dangerous for bikd riders” rather than “There is a failure on this road to ensure the safety of bicycle riders and drivers on this stretch are not taking adequate precautions to drive safely around bicycle riders.
Worse, it's the BikeWest CEO blaming the victims.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Postby 943 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:22 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:28 pm
caneye wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:40 pm

Terrible news and RIP to the rider and sincerest condolences to the family of the rider. The rider was quite experienced.

I wasn't on that ride so I can't say anything more.
I believe this was a former colleague of mine who passed away tragically. Not 100% certain if it’s the same incident but my colleague was about 55 and died following a bike accident on Saturday.

RIP PR - condolences to your partner and family. So sad.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:36 pm

943 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:22 pm

I believe this was a former colleague of mine who passed away tragically. Not 100% certain if it’s the same incident but my colleague was about 55 and died following a bike accident on Saturday.

RIP PR - condolences to your partner and family. So sad.
Yes, it's the same incident. I've only heard second hand information on the nature of the incident from a friend of one of the riders who was there, and it appears to just be a tragic and unfortunate set of circumstances, and I'll just leave it at that.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:12 pm

Cyclist dies after being hit by car - Quakers Hill

Saturday, 17 April 2021 06:16:49 PM

A cyclist has died after being hit by a car at Quakers Hills.

About 7am today (Saturday 17 April 2021), a group of cyclists was travelling along Quakers Road when one of the riders fell from his bike before being hit by a car.

The 55-year-old man died at the scene.

Officers from Quakers Hill Police Area Command established a crime scene and commenced an investigation into the incident.

Anyone who witnessed it, or the events leading up to it, is urged to contact police.

A report will be prepared for the Coroner.