Trainer rocker plate

Retrobyte

Trainer rocker plate

Postby Retrobyte » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:51 pm

Anyone using a rocker plate with their trainer? Came across this on Facebook on the weekend and am quite keen ....

https://fb.watch/3vsoCoBO5r/

Retrobyte

Re: Trainer rocker plate

Postby Retrobyte » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:36 am

Did some more research, spoke to the builder of these, and decided to order one. He's delivering it personally tomorrow. Should make out of the saddle climbing on the smart trainer more realistic. Will update once I've jumped on and given it a run.

vbplease

Postby vbplease » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:28 pm

Looks nice.. are you getting the rear plate or the full one which goes under the front wheel too?

How much is the rear plate one?

Interesting article for anyone considering diy
https://cyclingtips.com/2020/05/how-to- ... or-riding/

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:06 pm

vbplease wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:28 pm
Looks nice.. are you getting the rear plate or the full one which goes under the front wheel too?

How much is the rear plate one?
The guy couldn't make it on Sunday (he had a 200km ride instead) so is dropping it off tonight. I'm getting the rear plate, because my trainer is set up on the back deck (undercover) and needs to be able to be moved easily to keep the missus happy - the full plate is far too big and heavy to make doing that easy. The rear plate is costing $220.

vbplease

Postby vbplease » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:02 pm

Retrobyte wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:06 pm
The guy couldn't make it on Sunday (he had a 200km ride instead) so is dropping it off tonight. I'm getting the rear plate, because my trainer is set up on the back deck (undercover) and needs to be able to be moved easily to keep the missus happy - the full plate is far too big and heavy to make doing that easy. The rear plate is costing $220.
that’s pretty good value.. assuming $80 materials and many hours sourcing the correct balls/springs, in addition to installation.
Let me know if you’re happy with it.. the ride feel looks pretty good, but I’m more concerned about removing stress from my carbon frame

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:33 pm

Ok, delivery took place this evening - lovely bloke who is riding the Three Peaks and did a 180km training ride last Sunday. Delivery and setup is part of the price (if you live in Sydney - but he does sell interstate and can talk you through the setup), because he sets it up and inflates the balls to level the bike on the plate, given in my case the Kickr Core is heavier on the flywheel side. The 5kg weight plate in the photo is mine, but the plate and the front wheel block is all included in the price. Setup involves strapping the Kickr to the plate with tie downs, and then inflating or deflating the two balls and positioning the weight plate to make the feel nice and even when I'm on the bike and pedaling.

The balls are from BigW, and he uses these because they can be inflated with a standard ball pump that is used for footies, basketballs etc. And easily to replace if necessary for $5.

I only had time for a quick test ride in my work clothes and shoes but my first impression was how "normal" this feels compared to the rigid feel you usually get on a trainer. I could feel my core being used because there is an element of balance required to keep the bike steady - not that it will tip over, but there is enough side to side movement to make you work on a smooth pedal stroke to keep steady. Without my cleats on I didn't do any out of the saddle stuff, so will report back on that side of things another time.

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:40 pm

I did 45 minutes tonight over a hilly 20km course on Rouvy, so was out of the saddle a few times. It was disconcerting at first but after a couple of minutes felt quite natural. The first time I took both hands off the bars when having a drink I had to concentrate on my balance, which is a strange sensation on a fixed trainer. I definitely felt like my core was engaged tonight for the first time ever on a trainer, so my first impressions are positive for sure. Given the cost of most decent smart trainers, another $220 for a rocker plate does not seem like an excessive add-on. After all, that's less than the price of a Le Col jersey that's three sizes too small :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

vbplease

Postby vbplease » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:53 pm

thanks for the pics and review! I will consider getting this soon..

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:48 pm

How much for the full setup?

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:53 pm

trailgumby wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:48 pm
How much for the full setup?
I don't know, sorry - I only enquired about the rear half plate option.

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:45 am

Sprinting - how is it?

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:32 am

ft_critical wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:45 am
Sprinting - how is it?
I'm not on Zwift so don't really do any sprinting on the trainer other than intervals, but for out of the saddle climbing it feels very realistic so I'd imagine sprinting would be ok as well. There's a video on the guy's Facebook page sprinting on the full length plate .... https://fb.watch/3NoT-2L6_k/

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:03 pm

Update after a month of using this - very happy with the moderate purchase price given how much it has improved my smart trainer workouts. Definitely hitting my core now, as I actually have to balance when riding on the trainer bike, as well as the bonus of being able to ride smoothly out of the saddle when climbing.

mcouldrey

Postby mcouldrey » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:39 pm

Hey mate. Can you please forward me the guys details? I’m in Sydney and looking to buy two for my wife and I.
Thanks matt

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:52 am

mcouldrey wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:39 pm
Hey mate. Can you please forward me the guys details? I’m in Sydney and looking to buy two for my wife and I.
Thanks matt
Hi Matt, will message you his details

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:37 pm

In light of Canyon coming out and saying this:
article wrote:Canyon's Nick Allen told us, “Strictly speaking, using our bikes in a turbo trainer is not consistent with intended use. Unfortunately, any damage or breakage as a result would not be covered under our standard warranty terms and conditions.”
Link: https://road.cc/content/feature/stuff-t ... ers-260821

If a rocker plate going to be more realistic, it should be kinder on your bike and Canyon riders needn't fear warranty claims?

Always wanted to build a set of motion rollers, but I think a set of rocker plate rollers is a sure-fire recipe for disaster!

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:19 am

Saris have one I tried (prev Cycle Ops) and had two suspension systems and worked well, is gentler though would also absorb some power (if you are on Zwift).
Cycling is in my BNA

austing

Postby austing » Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:42 pm

Sorry to revive this thread but i'm looking for replacement balls - any idea what those balls are called at bigw?

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:21 pm

austing wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:42 pm
Sorry to revive this thread but i'm looking for replacement balls - any idea what those balls are called at bigw?

I was thinking Rebel Sports might be the better option. Take an old one with you and ask for something similar.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:58 pm

familyguy wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:37 pm
In light of Canyon coming out and saying this:
article wrote:Canyon's Nick Allen told us, “Strictly speaking, using our bikes in a turbo trainer is not consistent with intended use. Unfortunately, any damage or breakage as a result would not be covered under our standard warranty terms and conditions.”
Link: https://road.cc/content/feature/stuff-t ... ers-260821

If a rocker plate going to be more realistic, it should be kinder on your bike and Canyon riders needn't fear warranty claims?

Always wanted to build a set of motion rollers, but I think a set of rocker plate rollers is a sure-fire recipe for disaster!
Funny thing is that Zwift promo videos often had some pro-cyclist smashing it on a trainer, and in Canyon sponsored kit and using a Canyon Aeroad bike.

And Canyon has a lot of their bikes in Zwift...

I don't know if the "no trainer" policy is valid anymore. But I've never used my CF Evo on a trainer.

DennisEdwards

Postby DennisEdwards » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:47 pm

Has anybody tried the P3 Paragon rocker plate.

It says they're made in Sydney. I can't find any reviews.

https://paragon.bike/products/p3-full-m ... cker-plate