Nhill to Murrayville desert roads

australiantourer

Nhill to Murrayville desert roads

Postby australiantourer » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:28 am

Does anyone know about the suitability of the roads for cycling north from Nhill through the Big Desert? How deep is the sand likely to be — would 50 mm tyres cope, do you think?

australiantourer

Re: Nhill to Murrayville desert roads

Postby australiantourer » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:09 pm

........and beyond that into Murray Sunset National Park? I spoke to a Parks Victoria person today who assured me that I would have no trouble at all on a mountain bike riding from Nhill to Murrayville. Probably find water at 2-3 bores along the way, but I’m not counting on that. Surely someone reading this forum has riden around that country?

australiantourer

Re: Nhill to Murrayville desert roads

Postby australiantourer » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:10 pm

Well, if anyone is interested, I can now answer my question in a single word: fantastic! Though definitely not if it rains, I am reliably informed by motorists. I rode from Kaniva to Yanac to Murrayville over two days. I encountered 4 cars, total, and it was like riding through a garden. The sand was a bit challenging in places, especially the northern half of the ride, but I didn’t fall off or have to push my bike and trailer. There is a brand new camping area developed called Stockman’s camp about mid-way, and it is very well designed. A really delightful ride.