Eadie Coaster Sprocket

Bellcrank

Eadie Coaster Sprocket

Postby Bellcrank » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:54 pm

I have just obtained an old bike, have no idea what it is. It is covered in thick brushed on paint, however it seems to have original style handle bars. 28 X 1-3/8 tyres. Is fairly straight. 40 spoke rim rear, 32 spoke rim front. Eadie Coaster single speed hub and had a Philco brake on the rear as back up.
I'm looking for spokes, they appear to be 310mm long, 2mm. Most spokes I see on line are shorter, max is 305mm.
Also need a new rear sprocket for the Eadie Coaster
Can anyone tell me how to get the sprocket off. I've dis-assembled the hub, removed the left hand thread lock ring from in front of the sprocket. I'm thinking the sprocket must unscreww off the carrier and at a guess I'm thinking the sprocket is right hand thread. Can anyone confirm this or give me some tips on how to get it off. The remaining sprocket teeth are now hooks, half of them have broken off.
Where would I get a new sprocket.
Chainwheel is 46tooth, rear sprocket is 18 tooth. Seems highly geared.
thanks

Bellcrank

Re: Eadie Coaster Sprocket

Postby Bellcrank » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:14 pm

Answering my own post, trying to generate interest / replies..........!!
The sprocket was not coming off easily. I pushed & pulled it. hit it with a hammer & punch, belted it with a hammer and it would not move. Gave it the heat treatment with the oxy and it finally shifted and unscrewed. Looks to be 1-3/8 diam x 24 tpi. I've been crawling across the internet and have found screw on sprockets on Bike Exchange website, no idea if they are the right thread size or TPI. I'm getting the feeling I'm the first one down this track, so for the benefit of anyone following behind, I'll keep you informed with what I find. Cleaning the chainwheel I found the the EBW sword, date code and tooth number. The date code is a 'Z' which according to their chart / table, is 1937 and the tooth count is 48, which is correct. Also found the piled arms BSA stamp on the brake backing plate on the Eadie Coaster. Have not been able to find a serial number or makers mark any where on the bike so far. Still looking for 310mm spokes

Bellcrank

Postby Bellcrank » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:37 pm

Another step forward. Finally found a bike shop that spoke my language. Pigeon bike speak..... I'm a novice. Learning. Showed the young guy behind the counter my sprocket. He darted off to some storage draws and after a while rummaging through them came back with a sprocket that screwed onto my drive screw perfectly. I was surprised. I thought all he had would be metric, but this screwed on the same as the old sprocket (chain ring) screwed on, very nice & easy. $20 and I'm smiling. He told me these sprockets are used on fixed wheel velodrome bikes, so supply is not a problem, not that I will wear it out, but choices of sprocket sizes are there. More internet surfing turned up that 1-3/8" X 24 tpi is a standard BMX sprocket. There are several other metric sizes all seemingly around 34 . 35 mm. I'm now able to assemble the hub, fit a new chain and take it for a run.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:44 pm

Good you got it sorted. :)
A few pictures may help people engage with the topic next time.
Dogs are the best people :wink: