the Crazy eDevice rider thread

jasonc

the Crazy eDevice rider thread

Postby jasonc » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:44 pm

so we have a thread for "The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread..." and one for "Moron Motorists", I just think there's a sadly a need to separate over speed eDevices. Thoughts?

jasonc

Re: the Crazy eDevice rider thread

Postby jasonc » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:46 pm

here's one from yesterday:

I was doing just over 25km/h at the time which is the speed limit of edevices in Qld

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:58 pm

At least he had lights :roll:

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:43 pm

I was pushing 38km/hr along the Bicentennial Bikeway today (hey it was wet, so there was no-one out).

Suddenly some dude on a scooter undertook me on the left in the pedestrian section. Then pulled in front and slowed suddenly to turn off to Toowong on the right.

Genius.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:30 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:43 pm
I was pushing 38km/hr along the Bicentennial Bikeway today (hey it was wet, so there was no-one out).

Suddenly some dude on a scooter undertook me on the left in the pedestrian section. Then pulled in front and slowed suddenly to turn off to Toowong on the right.

Genius.
Please tell me you have video of that
Arbuckle - most of them have integrated lights thankfully

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:35 pm

jasonc wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:30 pm
Mr Purple wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:43 pm

Genius.
Please tell me you have video of that
Arbuckle - most of them have integrated lights thankfully
Unfortunately, no. Though my Strava feed tells me I was doing 38.5km/hr at the spot he passed me.

He wasn't a small guy. I was considering setting up for the draft at the moment he turned off.

Daus

Postby Daus » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:17 pm

We have a few hi powered skate boards around here and have been passed on a multi lane road at speed. I would not like to fall off at the speeds they are doing no protection or footwear it's going to hurt. Does the no brain no pain rule apply.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:49 pm

Daus wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:17 pm
We have a few hi powered skate boards around here and have been passed on a multi lane road at speed. I would not like to fall off at the speeds they are doing no protection or footwear it's going to hurt. Does the no brain no pain rule apply.
The illegal ones around Brisbane are easy to spot. The riders are wearing full faced helmets...

henno

Postby henno » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:36 pm

jasonc wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:49 pm
The illegal ones around Brisbane are easy to spot. The riders are wearing full faced helmets...
I was driving home a month or two ago in Brisbane (Wynnum Road just past Muzz, outbound) and was doing 55kph in a 60zone in reasonably heavy 4pm traffic and was undertaken by a scooter with a dude in a full face helmet like I was standing still.

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:56 pm

henno wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:36 pm
jasonc wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:49 pm
I was driving home a month or two ago in Brisbane (Wynnum Road just past Muzz, outbound) and was doing 55kph in a 60zone in reasonably heavy 4pm traffic and was undertaken by a scooter with a dude in a full face helmet like I was standing still.
lol we saw him last Friday afternoon after getting our flu shots. Our family doctor is right behind the Caltex/KFC on Wynnum road. We were waiting for a break in traffic to get across to the turning lane, and he came flying along the bike lane. I seriously had a Say What moment at the speed he was doing, and the fact he was wearing a full helmet.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon May 10, 2021 8:07 pm

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue May 11, 2021 8:10 am

I spotted what I assume was an electric motor bike on the roads a few nights ago. Was keeping up with traffic, but looked too small to be a full sized motorbike (skinny tyres, unusual seating position. Was too dark to see wether it was registered, or an overpowered e-bike but it had lights and indicators. Wish I’d been able to take a closer look.

I can only assume that we are in a period where illegal e-devices are one the rise and the legalities haven’t caught up with wether they need banning or rego or what special rules will apply like riding on footpaths and speed limits. Currently they are just illegal which isn’t good ether.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Tue May 11, 2021 8:06 pm

jasonc wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 8:07 pm
Sorry I’m not up with every thread, what are we supposed to take away from this video?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue May 11, 2021 9:08 pm

briztoon wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 8:06 pm

Sorry I’m not up with every thread, what are we supposed to take away from this video?
E bikes motors are meant to cut out at 25. I was doing 37 and this bloke pulled away from me. It's an unregistered motorbike. No way could he do that without motor assist

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue May 11, 2021 11:31 pm

Mild diversion from the general theme of this thread, but it's about an e-bike (and its rider) so it fits.

A few weeks ago we had a customer bring his e-bike (proper legal spec) in for a routine new bike service. One of my offsiders did the job, but he called me over to check it out because he was having trouble with the gears - it simply wouldn't run nicely in top gear, but the other nine were perfect. A close examination revealed that the top (smallest, 11T) sprocket was well munted. Plugging into the service program & downloading the usage history revealed that the bike had spent about 90% of its short life on the highest assistance level. That input concentrated on the little sprocket, with inherently high contact loading had ground the poor little thing to oblivion in about 300km....!
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed May 12, 2021 8:56 am

Duck! wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 11:31 pm
...... about 90% of its short life on the highest assistance level. That input concentrated on the little sprocket, with inherently high contact loading had ground the poor little thing to oblivion in about 300km....!
Oh, that's what those other things on the back are, gears :!:

:roll:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed May 12, 2021 9:32 am

MichaelB wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 8:56 am
Duck! wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 11:31 pm
...... about 90% of its short life on the highest assistance level. That input concentrated on the little sprocket, with inherently high contact loading had ground the poor little thing to oblivion in about 300km....!
Oh, that's what those other things on the back are, gears :!:

:roll:
The rest of us do that with the other end of the cassette. A mate of mine has a home made E bike using an old giant road bike. His big ring on the crank disintegrated after all the power going through it after 6 years. I was surprised it lasted 6 years

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed May 12, 2021 10:26 am

So this guy wobbles along the footpath. Then gasses it and the scooter flies out from underneath him and tries to park itself in a tree. He then gets up and tries to get out before any cops at the courthouse (location of the crash) try and do him for illegal bike etc. Kudos my friend.

EDIT: I believe this is the scooter or a close relative of it. It would appear 2000w is more than enough to put you on your arse. :shock:

https://www.voltrium.com.au/rogue-2000- ... 021-model/

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Wed May 12, 2021 1:17 pm

jasonc wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 9:08 pm
briztoon wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 8:06 pm

E bikes motors are meant to cut out at 25. I was doing 37 and this bloke pulled away from me. It's an unregistered motorbike. No way could he do that without motor assist
I like how there's not even the slightest attempt to get low or pretend he's actually working. 'Don't mind me, I'm just cruising along at 45km/hr on a flatbar bike bolt upright and idly turning the pedals like they're not actually attached to anything'.

Neuron apparently got permission to dump another 500 scooters overnight on Brisbane last week. I almost got taken out by three on the same ride - all their riders looked intoxicated in some way. The worst was a couple of ratty looking teenagers who deliberately blocked the bikeway in an attempt to not let me past. Considering they were limited to 25km/hr it was not going to end well if they succeeded.

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Wed May 12, 2021 8:20 pm

I saw someone on the Koonung trail in Melbourne today on some sort of electric unicycle like this thing http://wheel-it.com.au/ . Web site says 16km/hr max but 950W - this doesn’t add up. How is this even legal? They were going the other way than me but it looked more than 16km/hr.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu May 13, 2021 7:31 am

Kedron Brook. 45kph weaving amongst the school kids...

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Thu May 13, 2021 9:12 am

That sort of footage does make me wonder just how many of these overpowered scooter riders are only on one because their driving licence is cancelled/suspended.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu May 13, 2021 10:11 am

Mr Purple wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 9:12 am
That sort of footage does make me wonder just how many of these overpowered scooter riders are only on one because their driving licence is cancelled/suspended.
Nah.. see my other thread. eScooters are "exploding" in Bris now. With majority being the high speed variety. I think people are buying them because they are cheaper than e-bikes, far faster, easier to store and zero expectation that you have to do any exercise. TBH I reckon one of those scooters is probably the fastest way to get to some destinations in peak. I mean if you can sit on 50 on a bike path that's very good compared to a car. If where you want to go is somewhere near one of those it's going to be very competitive.

Of course - it's also illegal. But, with zero enforcement people have decided to get on board the scooter train. I expect that it's going to get pretty wild as they get cheaper and younger people start buying them. :D

What and when will happen with enforcement is anyones guess. Over to you state government...

Scott No Mates

Postby Scott No Mates » Thu May 13, 2021 10:49 am

Mr Purple wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 9:12 am
I was chatting to one guy a while back, overpowered scooter with a 'turbo' mode. It overtook me quite easily & I was travelling at 35km/h.

He said he was on a suspended licence for DUI.
I really should take up cycling!

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Thu May 13, 2021 10:55 am

That does not surprise me. A fair number I see, particularly in the afternoons and rental scooters, appear to be currently DUI.

Interesting to see if they start throwing the book at people. Still then, the penalties are not huge:
- Riding without a helmet $126 (probably 90% of the rental scooters I see).
- Inappropriate use of a 'ride on device' $134.
- Speeding $174.

Almost worth the risk for a lot of people I'd say. Especially when compared to the much greater list for bicycles as below:

https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/safety/fines/cycling

Though I'm imagining most of these could also be applied to an electric scooter.