the Crazy eDevice rider thread

Andy01

Re: the Crazy eDevice rider thread

Postby Andy01 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:28 am

Mr Purple wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:01 am
The bit that has me thrown is that he's running a HRM and is genuinely getting his HR above 100 at times, albeit not by much.
Maybe it is the adrenaline produced by riding at scary speeds like that on a bikeway that is getting his heart rate up :shock:

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:02 am

Andy01 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:28 am
Mr Purple wrote:
The bit that has me thrown is that he's running a HRM and is genuinely getting his HR above 100 at times, albeit not by much.
Maybe it is the adrenaline produced by riding at scary speeds like that on a bikeway that is getting his heart rate up :shock:
I've never seen an acceleration curve like that, it's literally vertical. Pretty sure my car can't accelerate that fast.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:29 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
So I missed a KOM to a particular 'cyclist' on Saturday - well travelled road leading to the V1 veloway and I took two out of three KOMs for the climb but missed the steepest one despite averaging 613W for 40 seconds at 3.8%.

I missed it by seven seconds and 7.4km/hr so I checked the guys Strava analysis.

Same guy holds multiple 'KOMs' along the V1 veloway both directions. Look at the acceleration - 0 to 100km/hr in seconds.

Any tips to what he's 'riding'? My guess is a 5kW+ e-scooter. The bit that has me thrown is that he's running a HRM and is genuinely getting his HR above 100 at times, albeit not by much.
what's the recording device? is it a phone?

Andy01

Postby Andy01 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:43 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:02 am
Andy01 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:28 am
Mr Purple wrote:
I've never seen an acceleration curve like that, it's literally vertical. Pretty sure my car can't accelerate that fast.
It might be a device sample rate - even some bike computers can be set to "sample" every 5 seconds, rather than 1 second.

Or it could be an electric motorbike - for some strange reason most of them seem to think it is perfectly OK to ride on shared paths and bike paths.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:45 pm

jasonc wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:29 pm
what's the recording device? is it a phone?
It's a watch - Garmin Fenix 5X +. This might explain why there's a heart rate visible despite the guy clearly not actually setting out to do any exercise.

Had a look at the comparison over the segment - at the steepest part (6.7%) he's doing 48km/hr. So yeah, I think we can write that one off as legitimate. Maximum speed on that ride is 82km/hr crossing Juliette Street on the V1 Veloway.

It's an electric motorbike of some description.

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:09 pm

35 year old Townsville man dies after his eScooter hits a gutter whilst he was fleeing from police

ABC News

Police ethical standards command is investigating

OnTrackZeD

Postby OnTrackZeD » Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:03 am

redsonic wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:09 pm
35 year old Townsville man dies after his eScooter hits a gutter whilst he was fleeing from police

ABC News

Police ethical standards command is investigating
Few times that the punishment doesn't fit the crime.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:51 am

I think it's one of those occasions where 'being on an e-scooter' was not necessarily the crime.

3:30AM. I imagine e-scooters are a fantastic getaway vehicle.

Having said that we don't have the death penalty so it's good to see it's being investigated.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:29 pm

escooter rider riding right towards me this morning. i yelled out look up. they apologised and moved over. then proceeded to ride down a road with a 60km/h speed limit...

hunch

Postby hunch » Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:54 am

familyguy wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:13 pm
nescius wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:51 pm
I spent the last week in Manly and these things were everywhere, they come in 250W and 750W form and from the looks of it they can be derestricted via the menu, they also have a throttle that can be unlocked. Most had at least two teenagers on board, it wasn't uncommon to see three, not sure how quickly the ol' tektro 180mm rotor would stop them. Maybe I'm getting old but it seemed to me they were being used in a very unsafe way, much too fast in high pedestrian traffic areas, and the riders did not look like they had full control, it was actually frightening.
Go to almost ANY beachside suburb in NSW and you'll see those by the dozen. Mona Vale last weekend had quite a few. Any Wollongong beach bike rack will be covered in them. I spoke to a coastal town bike mechanic a few months ago who said the chains and brakes get chewed out very rapidly. They often get bought in cause someone crashes one when it won't stop or it gets noisy because the chain is way over length. New brakes and chain, back it goes. More money than sense.
I notice every cassette I've looked at has a totally unworn top ring, the others usually rusty and the chain hasn't seen lube since bought.

Manly is bad for kids, multiple pillioning at unsafe speed on the footpath, record I've seen is 4 on the bike! I see the Dirodi ads on FB, which seem to be the most common, have people spouting off the 750w ones are road legal - and you should get the big block :D one just to be safe for hills. No correction from the vendor.

My main bugbear with the e things....and food deliverers seem the worst, is overtaking on the left which they all seem to be accustomed to do, when you take the lane at stop signs or lights.

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:01 am

hunch wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:54 am
My main bugbear with the e things....and food deliverers seem the worst, is overtaking on the left which they all seem to be accustomed to do, when you take the lane at stop signs or lights.
Yep - when I take the lane at lights in the Parrmatta CBD very often food delivery guys will pull up on my left and my right, like we're on the starting grid for a MotoGP. And they will be yapping away on the phone. And wearing thongs.

OnTrackZeD

Postby OnTrackZeD » Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:06 pm

Ah thongs, the Chinese safety boot.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:21 pm

House three doors down just burnt down. Apparently they owned a few e-scooters and the neighbourhood rumour mill already believes one went ‘bang’.

I’ll reserve my judgement but geez it went up quick. The number of moron drivers who thought it was a great idea to drive down the clearly closed off street through the thick smoke was remarkable…

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:50 pm

And a pile of scooters just got dumped on the footpath by the fire department. Pretty sure that confirms it, though they may also have been removed due to the fire risk.

blizzard

Postby blizzard » Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:29 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:21 pm
House three doors down just burnt down. Apparently they owned a few e-scooters and the neighbourhood rumour mill already believes one went ‘bang’.

I’ll reserve my judgement but geez it went up quick. The number of moron drivers who thought it was a great idea to drive down the clearly closed off street through the thick smoke was remarkable…
Wow close to home. I do worry that these fires on cheap devices will lead to bans on all e-devices in end of trips.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:39 pm

Confirmed by the owner apparently. It was an e-scooter that went bang. Allegedly it wasn’t even charging at the time.

House is gone, not sure they’ve even managed to put the fire out now four hours later. Poor buggers.

skyblot

Postby skyblot » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:46 am

Mr Purple wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:39 pm
Confirmed by the owner apparently. It was an e-scooter that went bang. Allegedly it wasn’t even charging at the time.

House is gone, not sure they’ve even managed to put the fire out now four hours later. Poor buggers.
And that's a problem yet to be managed. These battery cells are being made in their millions - I've heard a Tesla car battery has 7000 cells - and it's unreasonable to expect 100% success rate with zero faults with that quantity being made. Unlike the vast majority of products that simply stop working if faulty, lithium batteries tend to fail in a catastrophic and spectacular manner!

Managing and mitigating the risk I guess is the only solution at present, but how many people are going to want to keep their battery devices in a concrete fireproof bunker for instance.

I have a faulty e-bike battery I need to safely dispose of, 36V 20 Ah that although charged only shows 25V across the terminals. I suspect it is a fault in the management circuit and not a cell issue, but I still eye it off as it sits in the middle of a concrete pad and wonder if it's a ticking bomb. The council accepts the batteries for recycling so that's where it will go, but I suspect they don't really know what to do with it either!

And I see Transport for London have lost another e-bus to a battery fire. That's 3 out of their 90 bus fleet so far.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:47 pm

I don't imagine the quality control and battery management of lithium batteries in imported e-scooters is anywhere near that of mainstream auto manufacturers at least, though agree the potential for a problem is still there. How long is it until someone who loses a house to an e-scooter fire sues both the importer and the manufacturer? I'd be having a long hard think about doing it if it were my house that just burned to the ground.

Had a positive result of an interaction with an e-bike rider today. In that he tried to pass me up a 4% hill while I was doing 30km/hr, and this annoyed me so much I had to absolutely destroy him and in the process accidentally took two XC mountain bike KOMs on my gravel bike. Motivation!

zebee

Postby zebee » Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:03 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:47 pm
I don't imagine the quality control and battery management of lithium batteries in imported e-scooters is anywhere near that of mainstream auto manufacturers at least, though agree the potential for a problem is still there. How long is it until someone who loses a house to an e-scooter fire sues both the importer and the manufacturer? I'd be having a long hard think about doing it if it were my house that just burned to the ground.
My high quality (Bionx RIP alas) e-bike setup has very clearly in the manual that the battery should not be left charging but should be monitored and the charger turned off as soon as the charge is complete. They were Canadian so right next to the lawsuit capital of the world. I bet that the cheapo bikes/batteries have similar wording in their manuals if they have them. And if they don't have manuals I bet the importer has already phoenixed into a new one.

Plus given all the publicity I think it would be hard to make a case that you had a reasonable expectation that you could leave it on charge. Proving it wasn't on charge when it went kaboom would be hard too.

You can hope your insurer would do the lawsuit thing but they are more likely to say they don't cover e-things or e-thing charging on your next renewal. That's scary as hell. (I had to change insurer because Shannons say they don't cover e-things)

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:08 pm

I'd say Mr Purple's neighbours have made the news:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-01-27/ ... /103396316

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:36 pm

Yep, that's them.

The car out the front isn't actually theirs - some poor bugger parked it there and it had to be towed away this morning. That's unfortunate.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:54 pm

https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/news/news ... YWxsPTE%3D

The last few times I've been through here it has been ebike central. This is not a surprise,,sadly.

blizzard

Postby blizzard » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:56 am

I was saying goodbye to visitors at about 7:30pm last night out the front of the house. An escooter ride flew down the road at close to 70-80km/h, much faster than what cars drive down the street. No lights, no protective gear, he may have had a helmet. Absolutely crazy.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:58 am

I was briefly the 'crazy e-device rider' on Saturday - had to meet a mate in Milton which was tricky via public transport from my place.

Bus to the city, where Beam seemed to be promising me the choice of many e-bikes - I refuse to ride a scooter. Only to arrive and their idea of an e-bike is an e-scooter with a seat on it, so no.

Eventually caved and hired a Neuron scooter for the few kilometre journey. Absolutely horrendous. The 25km/hr limit up here is way too fast on something that incompetent, the thumb controlled throttle extremely sensitive and at one point I managed to do a wheelie by accident, and there is the sense the whole time that physics are trying to conspire against you and murder you. And I'm a 300km per week cyclist with plenty of skateboarding experience. Hate to think what they're like for the average punter.

I understand the higher powered e-scooters have better tyres, brakes and stability but I'd hate to be doing well over twice that speed on one.

To make it worse the Uber all the way home wasn't that much more expensive!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:41 am

Mr Purple wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:50 pm
And a pile of scooters just got dumped on the footpath by the fire department. Pretty sure that confirms it, though they may also have been removed due to the fire risk.
These things you’d want to keep well away from your house, in their own shed so that if one decides to go up then at least your house will hopefully be safe.