Pump track proposal for northern suburbs (Duncraig)

Mububban

Pump track proposal for northern suburbs (Duncraig)

Postby Mububban » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:47 am

Have your say on proposals for revamping Percy Doyle Reserve in Duncraig with a modern skate, bike and play facility.

My strong preference (not being a jumper myself) is proposal 3 - a skate park, bowl, plus a bitumen pump track. No dedicated jumps though.

Proposal 2 has a beginner dirt jump line, but no pump track. Which will make it more for older kids and adults, but will make it a no go for all the littler ones that heavily use a pump track.

It's a pity they don't have one proposal that includes both pump and jump.

https://getinvolved.mysocialpinpoint.co ... /tab/about

I'll definitely be popping in to one of these sessions too:
You can drop in at any time to the following consultation sessions:

Saturday 28 August 2021, 9.30am - 12.00pm at Duncraig Library
Saturday 28 August 2021, 2.00pm – 4.00pm at Mirror Park Skate Park, Ocean Reef
Monday 30 August 2021, 3.30pm – 7.00pm at Duncraig Library
Tuesday 31 August 2021, 3.30pm – 5.00pm at Mirror Park Skate Park, Ocean Reef
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Mububban

Re: Pump track proposal for northern suburbs (Duncraig)

Postby Mububban » Tue May 03, 2022 11:26 am

Somewhat related to this - before I heard about the Percy Doyle proposal, I'd emailed the council in August 2021 to ask about Galston Park's old concrete bike track (not a proper pump track but it has undulations for kids to enjoy) possibly being upgraded. The old concrete is breaking down and exposing sharp aggregate, and it then becomes very powdery and slippery on the corners.

Well, only ~8 months later, I finally got a response! :D
I am pleased to inform you that the Bike track at Galston Park is scheduled for an upgrade in the City’s current 2021/2022 Capital Works Program. The City is currently procuring quotes for the design and construction of an asphalt surface track. The design of the track is intended to accommodate riders from all abilities from beginners through to experienced riders.

I am also able to inform you that the playground at Galston Park is listed to be upgraded in the 2022/2023 financial year. However, please note that prior to the commencement of each financial year all projects listed in the Capital Works Program for that year, are subject to review and possible changes. The design of the playground includes seating, footpath connections, replacement of the combination unit and the replacement of the swings. The existing picnic shelter and seating will be retained.

Galston Park is classified as a local recreation park servicing surrounding residents for short stay and recreational activities. Drinking fountains and toilet facilities are not supported on this level of park.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:30 am

Mububban wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 11:26 am
Somewhat related to this - before I heard about the Percy Doyle proposal, I'd emailed the council in August 2021 to ask about Galston Park's old concrete bike track (not a proper pump track but it has undulations for kids to enjoy) possibly being upgraded. The old concrete is breaking down and exposing sharp aggregate, and it then becomes very powdery and slippery on the corners.

Well, only ~8 months later, I finally got a response! :D
I am pleased to inform you that the Bike track at Galston Park is scheduled for an upgrade in the City’s current 2021/2022 Capital Works Program. The City is currently procuring quotes for the design and construction of an asphalt surface track. The design of the track is intended to accommodate riders from all abilities from beginners through to experienced riders.

I am also able to inform you that the playground at Galston Park is listed to be upgraded in the 2022/2023 financial year. However, please note that prior to the commencement of each financial year all projects listed in the Capital Works Program for that year, are subject to review and possible changes. The design of the playground includes seating, footpath connections, replacement of the combination unit and the replacement of the swings. The existing picnic shelter and seating will be retained.

Galston Park is classified as a local recreation park servicing surrounding residents for short stay and recreational activities. Drinking fountains and toilet facilities are not supported on this level of park.

Driving past Galston Park, I notice they've fenced off the concrete bike track and have parked some diggers in there. I wasn't under the impression they were re-profiling it into a proper pump track, I thought they were simply going to lay bitumen over the top of what's there. Time will tell and I hope to be wrong!

Also, the big facility proposal at Percy Doyle Reserve continues to move forwards:

https://www.joondalup.wa.gov.au/percy-d ... ep-forward
The provision of youth recreation facilities at Duncraig’s Percy Doyle Reserve has taken an important step forward after the Joondalup Council endorsed the recommended scope of works and progressed the project to a concept design stage.

The proposal includes a skate park (with bowl), BMX facilities, a multipurpose court, nature play elements, climbing frames, barbecue and picnic areas, spectator spaces, CCTV and lighting.

The estimated capital cost of the project is between $4.3 and $5.7 million, and the scope of works is consistent with similar, contemporary play and skate spaces delivered by other local governments across Perth, including the City of Stirling’s Bina Parkland, Briggs Park in the Shire of Serpentine Jarrahdale, the City of Perth’s Wellington Square and Mills Park in the City of Gosnells.

My son turns 12 soon, hopefully he'll be riding there before he turns 15!

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:36 pm

Galston Park first stage of works looks almost rideable (still fenced off of course), they've made a short tight loop with a few pumpable rollers and a tight berm at each end. That's been bitumised and got some red paint on it so it looks like Common Ground's style?

Now they appear to be working on a second stage that links into it, so it could be quite a nifty little setup, far better than what was there, and a great addition even when the big one at Percy Doyle Reserve finally gets done.