Fan recommendations for pain cave

Retrobyte

Fan recommendations for pain cave

Postby Retrobyte » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:30 am

At the request of she-who-must-be-obeyed I have had to relocate my trainer bike + Kickr Core + rocker plate from the back deck to the garage. On the back deck there was always a breeze so I didn't need any fans, but now I know I'll need one or two when riding in the garage.

Any recommendations for fans that are quiet, have a small footprint and do a good job?

warthog1

Re: Fan recommendations for pain cave

Postby warthog1 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:44 am

I have one of these
https://www.bunnings.com.au/dynabreeze- ... n_p4447810
Paid 100- about 10 months ago.
I soon saw it for 80- at Home timber + hardware after I had bought it.
Anyway, it moves plenty of air and is reasonably quiet
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:53 am

Got one of those.
Use it with a remote adaptor on the PowerPoint to turn on and off as required.
Does the job well.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:25 pm

I have two of the Dynabreeze floor fans from Bunnings, as above. I got them for $70 each, so looks like there’s been a price increase since I got them last year during the first lockdown.
I point one fan up at my body from one side (not from the front as it blows my towels off the handlebars!). The other fan I have pointed directly at my feet so that my shoes don’t become a dripping puddle of sweat. I also have a ceiling fan directly overhead the trainer.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:22 pm

Thanks all - after I posted this morning I was browsing Bunnings online and did notice that model - the reviews are good, and your recommendation backs that up. Shopping time!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:02 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:44 am
I have one of these
https://www.bunnings.com.au/dynabreeze- ... n_p4447810
Paid 100- about 10 months ago.
I soon saw it for 80- at Home timber + hardware after I had bought it.
Anyway, it moves plenty of air and is reasonably quiet
That's the one I have too, I usually never have it higher than "2".

I don't have a remote adaptor for it - but I have a Kickr Bike so it is very close to me so I can just quickly unclip and reach down to turn it up to a higher speed if needed.

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:50 pm

I also have the "angle adjusting stick". Helps control the airflow by adjusting up or down without dismounting :)

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:56 pm

If you provide beer I'm happy to come over and cheer you on.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:30 pm

Arbuckle23 wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:50 pm
I also have the "angle adjusting stick". Helps control the airflow by adjusting up or down without dismounting :)
Me too - it's a Bose soundbar remote control. :lol: (which is a huge brick of a thing).

Propagate

Postby Propagate » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:53 am

I've got the same one too, works great.

As for remote switching, grab a pack of these $60 for 4 (wi-fi sockets) link at the bottom.

Super simple to set up and you can use them for things like lamps etc with the scheduling. I went mad and put them all over the house (made the house a sort of smart home but can also take them all with me if we move).

They also have power meter tracking too so you can go into the app and see how much power the connected device has been drawing over time.

I also have them on the kettle and partners hair straighteners, the former as a mates house almost burned down due to a faulty kettle switching itself on overnight and melting down into the worktop and the latter as she's a bugger for leaving the straighteners on!

They work great for that as a fail-safe, I set the schedule for the kettle and straighteners to shut the socket off at midnight every night and no corresponding "on" command, so when you get up for a cuppa next morning and hair straighteners next evening you just push the big on button in the front of the socket, it'll then stay powered on until the next midnight then shuts itself off again. Simples.

For the fan, just leave the fan turned on and use the app to remote witch the socket on when you're warmed up.

I have one on the pool pump and set the smart schedule to fire up between certain hours, but only of the weather is sunny (so using more solar). Ive been replacing the light switches too, so all the lighting in the house now is scheduled and grouped into "scenes", so one button all off or one button movie night mode mode, or one button living areas on only etc.

Cheap and easy way of making your home "smart".

Anyway, I'm sounding like an advert now, but I like to mention when things work as they are supposed to and are good value.

Link below... (the power boards are great too, each socket on the board can be individually scheduled and they power USB).

https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/kogan-smar ... 8QQAvD_BwE

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:10 pm

I have pedestal industrial fan you can have. It's a bit of a monster, but you will absolutely not overheat in summer, guaranteed. Nor will the cat ever knock it over.

Edit: Just re-read requirements. It's moderate in footprint but not quiet. More like what you would have mounted in an indoor spin class.

There for anyone else in Sydney who wants it. Pick-up only.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:08 am

If you are racing / competing online, multiple fans are better. It is all about cooling.For training and conditioning it works in ypur favour to get temperature, but not too hot as tgat becomes counter productive.
Cycling is in my BNA

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:33 am

Woolworths - around $50 as I recall.

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/prod ... -floor-fan
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:27 am

Thanks all - picked up two of the Bunnings fans yesterday that were recommended in this thread. One is on the floor, the other is on top of the beer fridge. All sorted

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:06 am

trailgumby wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:10 pm
I have pedestal industrial fan you can have. It's a bit of a monster, but you will absolutely not overheat in summer, guaranteed. Nor will the cat ever knock it over.

Edit: Just re-read requirements. It's moderate in footprint but not quiet. More like what you would have mounted in an indoor spin class.

I also have one such fan - 750mm Arlec. It's too large and takes up too much space. Remote control stopped working too and the beeping every time you turn it on or change the speed of it drove me mad.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:09 am

I have one of these:

https://www.amazon.com.au/Vornado-660-C ... B077R4RX2Q

They're not cheap but are almost silent and put out good amounts of air.

Grog

Postby Grog » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:39 pm

If, or rather when, I replace my fan setup I'd go for one with a remote control to adjust speed.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:49 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:06 am
trailgumby wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:10 pm

I also have one such fan - 750mm Arlec. It's too large and takes up too much space. Remote control stopped working too and the beeping every time you turn it on or change the speed of it drove me mad.
Mine doesn't have the remote. Just switch it on ... after making sure anything within a 100m radious that can blow away is properly secured :lol:

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:24 am

Avoid one’s holding signs, especially “allez Opi Omi”
Anything you can do, I can do slower

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:48 pm

How about a trident a la Didi Senft.

Cheers,

Cameron