2022 Cycling Fatalities

elantra

2022 Cycling Fatalities

Postby elantra » Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:36 pm

Very Sad.
Media reports that a man in his 50’s died as a result of hit and run in south east Melbourne suburb
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/7news. ... 202660.amp

brumby33

Re: 2022 Cycling Fatalities

Postby brumby33 » Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:07 pm

I was just checking out that location of the incident on Google Maps, that is a huge interesection, multi lane each way with traffic lights. How come they don't have CCTV coverage on an intersection such as this?

I know it's still dark at 4.30am but this time of the year not many cars on the road this time of the morning so the driver that hit him is probably under the influence of some substance and would be the main reason anyone would leave someone to die on the side of the road like that.

Hope they catch the mongrel and throw him in the slammer on a minimum manslaughter charge for 15 years or more.

I was only saying to my wife only this arvo, I'm really starting to lose confidence riding my bike on the road now and have completely lost faith in humanity. You just don't know when you'll come across a Murdering car driver. There's a lot of mentally insane people out there who have the use of a motorcar at their disposal. RIP to the deceased and my Condolences to his family.

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

onetwoorthree

Postby onetwoorthree » Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:20 pm

The car involved was stolen. Probably sufficient motive not to hang around. The police have released an image of the alleged driver: https://www.police.vic.gov.au/witness-a ... al-hit-run

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:25 pm

onetwoorthree wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:20 pm
The car involved was stolen. Probably sufficient motive not to hang around. The police have released an image of the alleged driver: https://www.police.vic.gov.au/witness-a ... al-hit-run
Yeah well that'd be right....probably won't be long before they get him, I'd say he's probably had priors....they usually do!!

VWR Patagonia 2017

elantra

Postby elantra » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:09 am

brumby33 wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:25 pm
onetwoorthree wrote:
Yeah well that'd be right....probably won't be long before they get him, I'd say he's probably had priors....they usually do!!
If that is the case, then the criminal justice system has yet again failed its primary purpose, which is to protect its citizens from unreasonable risks of harm

In Australia in recent years there have been some cases of extreme tragedy which could have been prevented if the justice system was working as it should.
The case that springs to mind, (or more specifically slaps us in the face) was the catastrophe near Nowra in 2017

All 4 members of the Falkholt family were killed when a large car (being driven by a man with an appalling driving record), left its lane at high speed, giving this family no chance to avoid an unsurvivable collision

Not suggesting that the above has much in common with today’s loss of life, but I do think that we should expect that persons with concerning prior history are subject to greater scrutiny, so as to prevent repeat instances of some of the tragedies that have occurred in recent years

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:38 am

elantra wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:09 am
brumby33 wrote:
onetwoorthree wrote:
If that is the case, then the criminal justice system has yet again failed its primary purpose, which is to protect its citizens from unreasonable risks of harm

In Australia in recent years there have been some cases of extreme tragedy which could have been prevented if the justice system was working as it should.
The case that springs to mind, (or more specifically slaps us in the face) was the catastrophe near Nowra in 2017

All 4 members of the Falkholt family were killed when a large car (being driven by a man with an appalling driving record), left its lane at high speed, giving this family no chance to avoid an unsurvivable collision

Not suggesting that the above has much in common with today’s loss of life, but I do think that we should expect that persons with concerning prior history are subject to greater scrutiny, so as to prevent repeat instances of some of the tragedies that have occurred in recent years
Yes Elantra, totally agree, it's often not the police that let us down, it's judicial system, soft judges and over filled Gaols that are keeping the ones that should be in there.....out or in only for a brief time then they are out in the communities once again. Cops are often frustrated on some of the sentences that get handed out. Lets hope that when they catch the bastard that killed that fella in Melbourne yesterday morning, he's off the street for a very long time....we can only wish.

brumby33

VWR Patagonia 2017

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:19 pm

https://www.police.vic.gov.au/detective ... n-fatality

Torched the car afterwards. Sure sign he's just a misunderstood soul who's never done nothin' bad.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:35 pm

elantra wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:09 am

I'm about to put on my pedant hat, please don't take me too seriously. :lol:

Hat on, here goes...

Actually that protection is more the purpose of the Police, various emergency services like firies, private security and some intelligence gathering bodies.

The justice system largely is mostly about punishment and return of wrongdoers to society afterwards. Any protection the law offers is certainly not "primary" though there is some indirect protection by way of fear - scaring those who may transgress into NOT transgressing for fear of punishment. Which, unfortunately, evidence indicates is not too good either.

Let's make that "yet again the policing and surveillance systems have failed to protect us". Though it is too early to draw even that conclusion,
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:10 am

brumby33 wrote:
Yes Elantra, totally agree, it's often not the police that let us down, it's judicial system, soft judges and over filled jails that are keeping the ones that should be in there.....out or in only for a brief time then they are out in the communities once again. Cops are often frustrated on some of the sentences that get handed out. Lets hope that when they catch the bastard that killed that fella in Melbourne yesterday morning, he's off the street for a very long time....we can only wish.

brumby33
I agree with the sentiments but disagree that most police will not let you down. Every time I put a report with a video of an offensive driver the police actually look at ways to turn the conversation to defend the driver.

It shows me that I have to develop a water tight arguement and presentation to them that has to be made very strongly indeed. I am getting pretty good at it.

I have to accept they are motorists coming to see another disgruntled bicycle rider that need to have explained to him the difficulties of a driver confronting cyclists.
The most common apologist remark is "You must realise that the average driver does not know the rules for cyclists and does not ride."

Not long ago I had a motorist fined for not giving way to me at a tee intersection. I struggle with posting pics here, but the officer only hit them with a fine for the egregious manner with which the vehicle came across the width of two lanes to almost hit me and that I had to brake hard. All on cam.
Another car at the same intersection they let off.... as that cars driver was not quite as blind... so judged not as deadly in his manner. That driver was forgiven.
It is most difficult to get a non bicycle rider to realise the danger that goes from a simple ride to one of life endangerment. Some cops come out with why don't you just drive your car.
I have actually found most police do let you down.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:23 am

outnabike wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:10 am
brumby33 wrote:
Yes Elantra, totally agree, it's often not the police that let us down, it's judicial system, soft judges and over filled jails that are keeping the ones that should be in there.....out or in only for a brief time then they are out in the communities once again. Cops are often frustrated on some of the sentences that get handed out. Lets hope that when they catch the bastard that killed that fella in Melbourne yesterday morning, he's off the street for a very long time....we can only wish.

brumby33
I agree with the sentiments but disagree that most police will not let you down. Every time I put a report with a video of an offensive driver the police actually look at ways to turn the conversation to defend the driver.

It shows me that I have to develop a water tight arguement and presentation to them that has to be made very strongly indeed. I am getting pretty good at it.

I have to accept they are motorists coming to see another disgruntled bicycle rider that need to have explained to him the difficulties of a driver confronting cyclists.
The most common apologist remark is "You must realise that the average driver does not know the rules for cyclists and does not ride."

Not long ago I had a motorist fined for not giving way to me at a tee intersection. I struggle with posting pics here, but the officer only hit them with a fine for the egregious manner with which the vehicle came across the width of two lanes to almost hit me and that I had to brake hard. All on cam.
Another car at the same intersection they let off.... as that cars driver was not quite as blind... so judged not as deadly in his manner. That driver was forgiven.
It is most difficult to get a non bicycle rider to realise the danger that goes from a simple ride to one of life endangerment. Some cops come out with why don't you just drive your car.
I have actually found most police do let you down.
In most cases i have found that even car to car incidents, unless there is an accident, somebody is hurt, cars are undrivable, the Police don't want to know about it. Even going back in the late 80's when I ran up the backside of a Datsun 1600 with my brand new Magna....both cars drivable but i rang them anyway coz that's what i thought one had to do if the damage was estimated over a certain amount...cops turned up....didn't get out of car, they asked me "does anyone need a infringment ticket...no? Ok cya!!" so unless someone is injured, an incident reported will be met with disinterest as it just means more paperwork.
So even if a driver menaces you, unless he actually makes contact and knocks you off the bike, they don't wanna know about it.
But if you are knocked off, badly injured or worse dead, then the cops must do a full investigation as the charges can go many ways and multiple. That's when they start pulling CCTV images, accepting Dashcam images and any other evidence otherwise any video from just an incident is going to be ignored in the most part. It's up to the court to sentence the accused after a trial finding him/her guilty....that's when it can be lenient or strong...I guess it depends on if the media gets hold of a story or not....they can't tell me that strong public outrage doesn't steer a course of action....but it's rarely for a cyclist.
A road rage case is a bit different, if a person or motor vehicle is injured or damaged as a result of road rage...then the cops will take action.

brumby33

VWR Patagonia 2017

Thoglette

Cyclist is killed in the morning, driver is charged in the afternoon.

Postby Thoglette » Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:04 am

There’s a whole thread on this one. No names yet.
The cyclist, a 62-year-old man from Queensland, died at the scene.
fat and old wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:14 am
https://www.theage.com.au/national/vict ... 59vye.html

That was quick, and decent charges
The man was later charged with dangerous driving causing death and failing to stop and rendering assistance.

He was released on bail on Saturday evening and will appear in Bairnsdale Magistrates Court on February 16.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:27 pm

Tasmanian cyclist killed on morning ride at Kingston Beach

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02-22/ ... /100850168
Police said the cyclist, a man in his 50s, was coming down Osborne Esplanade at the south end of the beach when he came off his bike and was hit by an oncoming car.

No clear picture of what happened at this stage. Poor chap :( And the poor driver too, who may have done nothing wrong but now has to deal with this as well :(
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

jasonc

2020 Cycling Fatalities

Postby jasonc » Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:01 pm

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02-22/ ... /100850168
A cyclist has been killed while on an early morning ride at Kingston Beach, south of Hobart.

Police said the cyclist, a man in his 50s, was coming down Osborne Esplanade at the south end of the beach when he came off his bike and was hit by an oncoming car.

"For reasons yet to be determined the cyclist separated from the bike and collided with the front of a motor vehicle travelling in the opposite direction," Senior Sergeant Peter Borish said.

"The cyclist sustained serious injuries and died at the scene. Police are investigating the matter and the coroner has attended the scene."

The driver of the car, a man in his 40s, was not injured but was taken to the Royal Hobart Hospital "for support".

Police said speed and alcohol were not considered to be factors.

Questions raised about roadworks

Asked whether the cyclist lost control because of gravel on the road from roadworks, Senior Sergeant Borish said that was a matter for the investigation.

"We understand there was some roadworks in the area but we can't determine if that was the cause of the incident," he said.

Kingborough mayor Paula Wriedt said she did not believe the roadworks belonged to council.

"We are not doing any significant roadworks in that area at the moment that I'm aware of but I've asked council staff to investigate that.

"We didn't have any road works scheduled, whether there might have been a small bit of maintenance is yet to be determined but we will be fully co-operating with Tasmania police.

"Kingston is a tight knit community so I know this will be a hard time for everyone involved."

Police have closed Osborne Parade between Ewing Avenue and Mount Royal Road while crash investigators conduct their examination.

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:51 am

Another one on the Victorian south coast, at a road intersection with perfect visibility.
https://www.police.vic.gov.au/cyclist-dies-warrnambool

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:52 pm

Cyclophiliac wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:51 am
Another one on the Victorian south coast, at a road intersection with perfect visibility.
https://www.police.vic.gov.au/cyclist-dies-warrnambool
lets hope this is short thread in 2022....text of the vicpolice linked press release reproduced below...for some reason they have a policy of deleting after something like 10days...(if archived I can't find)

"Cyclist dies at Warrnambool
Tuesday 22 February 2022 2:58pm
Police are investigating a fatal collision that has claimed the life of a cyclist in Warrnambool this afternoon.

Police have been told a truck collided with a cyclist at the intersection of Wangoom Road and Wiggs Lane just after 1pm.

The male cyclist, who is yet to be formally identified, died at the scene.

The truck driver is assisting police with enquiries.

Warrnambool Highway Patrol are investigating the circumstances surrounding the collision.

Any witnesses or anyone with information is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or submit a confidential report at www.crimestoppersvic.com.au.

For the current provisional lives lost tally please see: https://www.police.vic.gov.au/road-safety-0

Leading Senior Constable Melissa Seach

Media Unit"

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:23 pm

https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/news/news ... YWxsPTE%3D
Appeal for information after bicyclist dies - The Hume PD
Not much info of 70yo lady cyclist dies at New Berrima today.
Friday, 11 March 2022 01:58:18 PM

Police are investigating after a cyclist died in The Hume region today.

Just after 9.30am (Friday 11 March 2022), emergency services were called to Mereworth Road, New Berrima, following reports a cyclist was injured.

Officers attached to The Hume Police District attended and located a 70-year-old woman. She died at the scene.

The Crash Investigation Unit is conducting inquiries into the circumstances surrounding the incident.

As inquiries into the incident continue, police are appealing for anyone with information, or who has dashcam footage to come forward and contact Southern Highlands Police on 4868 1222 or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

A report will be prepared for the information of the Coroner.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:15 pm

Fatal e-bicycle crash - Coffs Harbour
70yo male ebike rider died yesterday morning near Coffs Harbour, no motor vehicles involved.

More in https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/news/news ... YWxsPTE%3D
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:35 am

I wonder if he hit a pothole from the recent rains?

uart

Postby uart » Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:59 pm

redsonic wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:35 am
It's possible. The other common cause of that type of accident is road debris getting flicked up by the front wheel and getting jammed between the spokes and forks.
reports a 70-year-old man was riding an electric bike eastbound, before he was ejected and hit the roadway.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:05 pm

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:20 pm

uart wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:59 pm
redsonic wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:35 am
It's possible. The other common cause of that type of accident is road debris getting flicked up by the front wheel and getting jammed between the spokes and forks.
reports a 70-year-old man was riding an electric bike eastbound, before he was ejected and hit the roadway.
They're everywhere at the moment. I'm surprised I haven't burped the tyres on my car, some of them are so violent. You *really* need to pay attention on the bike.

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:22 am

P!N20 wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:05 pm
My neighbourhood.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-04-12/ ... /100986508
That is terrible. The driver has been charged. https://www.miragenews.com/police-charg ... at-763606/

"Investigators have been told the male cyclist was travelling north on Melville Road when he was hit by a truck at the intersection of Brearley Parade around 1.30pm. The cyclist, a 43-year-old Brunswick West man, sadly died at the scene. The driver, a Meadow Heights man, has been charged with dangerous driving causing death."

I am guessing the driver was also going north on Melville Road and struck him from behind :( :(

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:31 am

AdelaidePeter wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:22 am
P!N20 wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:05 pm
My neighbourhood.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-04-12/ ... /100986508
That is terrible. The driver has been charged. https://www.miragenews.com/police-charg ... at-763606/

"Investigators have been told the male cyclist was travelling north on Melville Road when he was hit by a truck at the intersection of Brearley Parade around 1.30pm. The cyclist, a 43-year-old Brunswick West man, sadly died at the scene. The driver, a Meadow Heights man, has been charged with dangerous driving causing death."

I am guessing the driver was also going north on Melville Road and struck him from behind :( :(
Drugged **and** distracted:
https://www.theage.com.au/national/vict ... 5ad9r.html
I hold little hope that justice will prevail, though, he'll probably get away with stuff-all punishment, given how ridiculously lenient our justice system is on motorists.

uart

Postby uart » Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:14 pm

Cyclophiliac wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:31 am
Drugged **and** distracted:
https://www.theage.com.au/national/vict ... 5ad9r.html
I hold little hope that justice will prevail, though, he'll probably get away with stuff-all punishment, given how ridiculously lenient our justice system is on motorists.
So the tow truck driver was turning right, but from the same side of the road as the cyclist was on.

My best reconstruction from those photos is that the cyclist was traveling north on Melville, while the truck driver approached from the west along Brearley. The truck driver then drove though the giveway signs and struck the cyclist (at the start of an attempted right turn by the truck).

The poor cyclist wouldn't have had a chance. I'll bet most cyclists know the feeling of riding past give way signs (in the side street) when just as you're right on the intersection a car pulls out. Sometimes it almost feels like they waited for you to be right there before going. They didn't of course, they just stopped and looked right past you (you know, for cars or trucks or other things that could hurt *them*), and then just happened to pull out when you are directly in front of them. I can't even count how many incidents like that I've narrowly avoided!

In this case it looks like the truck didn't even stop, just took a half baked glance and rolled through the giveway. The cyclist was likely almost directly in front of him as he rolled through. :(

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:11 pm

Tow truck drivers... I know this is a generalisation, but as a group I would classify them as even riskier drivers than mud carters with truck and dog trailers on bit rate contracts. :x