Gravel wheels

Mr Purple

Re: Gravel wheels

Postby Mr Purple » Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm

Scott No Mates wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:09 pm
Is it necessary or recommended to swap out my Conti GP 5000 or the Gatorskins for some 25-28mm gravel tyres if taking my roadies on some rail trails?

Pretty sure that I can't go any wider than 28mm.

PS. I note that @Propagate passed away mid-race in March 2022

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=36284
At 28mm I honestly wouldn't bother. Just run the lowest pressure you can and preferably tubeless and hope.

As above there are a few 28mm options that do have some knobbliness (the Marbella looks as aggressive as they come) but the need to run the higher pressures largely negates a lot of that. At 28mm I'd stick with the Gatorskins for the extra puncture protection and just run the minimum tyre pressure you can get away with.

Sorry to hear about the forum member mentioned above. Unfortunately it seems he had a heart attack during a race in 2022 and didn't make it which is very rough at what looks like such a young age.

Scott No Mates

Postby Scott No Mates » Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:46 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm

At 28mm I honestly wouldn't bother. Just run the lowest pressure you can and preferably tubeless and hope.

As above there are a few 28mm options that do have some knobbliness (the Marbella looks as aggressive as they come) but the need to run the higher pressures largely negates a lot of that. At 28mm I'd stick with the Gatorskins for the extra puncture protection and just run the minimum tyre pressure you can get away with.

Sorry to hear about the forum member mentioned above. Unfortunately it seems he had a heart attack during a race in 2022 and didn't make it which is very rough at what looks like such a young age.
Marbella Isn't a brand that I'm familiar with, Dr Googs has only directed me to Euro/US websites but the tyre looks like it would do the job. I'll consider my options or risk a few punctures (probably have a chat with the LBS and the LBS with the rail trails for their opinions).

Yep, the guy did pass away quite young, I knew him from elsewhere. It was very sudden for someone who was so active, he'd pulled off regular 200km rides.
I really should take up cycling!

Scott No Mates

Postby Scott No Mates » Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:47 pm

owly wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:19 am

I would, for some better grip.
IRC Marbella comes in a 28mm and is supposed to measure closer to a 27mm or less when mounted.
Thanks
I really should take up cycling!